The Official Axe Fx Ultra violin processor Hello thread.

xionlin

Just wanted to introduce myself as the first “official” (Not sure if that's actually true) electric violinist in the Fractal Fold. I recently bought an Axe Fx Ultra from the bay, e-bay that is, as well as the Behringer FCB1010. I studied the forum to answer all the questions I had to link the two. Got everything working fine. I had the whole set up all of a week before setting up all my favorites, banks & played the first weekend service at my Church. ( I play there twice a month.) I have never had so many idiotic kid smiles on my face in my life since using this sonic beast. A little known factoid if used properly this device can actually expel demons or summon them depending on your church of choice.

So a quick layout of my setup. I have a Jordan 6 string hard body electric violin, which gives me both a viola & cello range and...the Ultra. That's all I need.
A quick background I guess is in order for that previous anti climactic sentence to make sense. I have always used guitar processors with my instruments. I rarely play for a purist violin tone. I try to shape the instrument as much as possible, until it sounds somewhere between a keyboard, guitar & oh ya, a violin. It's a bit of a love hate relationship with the instrument actually. My previous setup was a Roland PW-10 Wah, Digitech Whammy, Adrenalinn 3, Eventide TimeFactor all going through a Digitech 2101 with updated software & duel chips. The 2101 controlled via midi the preset switching of the Adrenalinn 3. All together it was a rather nice set up & served me quite well. I was able to achieve a wide variety of soundscaping, arpagiating options.
Now... as you all well know this has it all in one immensely dimensional package. And on a sonic level that is beyond words to describe. Historically I never pursued much in the way of amps & distortion. After playing through this I was opened to the many sonic possibilities of amps, mics & selective distortion. Honestly I don't need distortion too much but everything else... NEVER ENOUGH! I cannot speak highly enough about this unit. There is nothing as you all well know limiting, in any way about this exceptional device. My only complaint is that it doesn't levitate. Will there be an upgrade for that? ;)

I just wanted to say hello & thank you Cliff for your effort in designing this most exceptional & beautiful device.

Now about hover capabilities....

Sorry everybody it's no longer a guitar processor it's a violin processor. :mrgreen

I'm actually looking into the possibility of changing State law to allow Marriage between a man & musical equipment. For whatever reason my wife is not happy with that idea. She just doesn't understand.....:evil

x

Hello!

Great 1st post!
I'd like to hear about a typical layout of your patches.
Do you use amp/cab sims at all or is it all compression & fx?
Any opinion on Nigel Kennedy?

Welcome! :D

Hello!

Great 1st post!
I'd like to hear about a typical layout of your patches.
Do you use amp/cab sims at all or is it all compression & fx?
Any opinion on Nigel Kennedy?

Welcome! :D

Thanks good sir.
So far what I've done is just go thru the amazing presets & find those that fit my needs & tweak them. Basically that means I do use the amp/cab sims & just adjust for my needs. Honestly I have not gotten that deep into it but on the other hand it's very user friendly, especially compared to the 2101 in which you'd need an engineering degree & literally have to draw out your own patching paths for the freakin' thing. So my next pass will be to further get under the hood. I found a clean patch (Can't remember off the top of my head) I'll look later, used it as my go to tone. It has a touch of phasing a slight liquid reverb & delay that decays at roughly the same rate of my strings when they resonate to silence. Making it almost seem as if it's one seamless vibration. Makes me happy....Of course been using the Crysalis er whatever it's called the popular one... Really works great with violin. As well as many many others. When I get home I'll share the ones I used this last weekend, while performing.

As to Nigel Kennedy I am familiar with him. He's definitely an interesting violinist. I'll be the first to say I'm not on the level of those classically trained virtuosos out there. I just play at a level of comfort. Meaning I'm in tune & can move a bow. Oh I also figured out a basic set up for using the wah with my pedal, next will be figuring out how to turn it off & on in a patch. Wah's and bows go very well together. :D

Thanks for the nice welcome.

I would really like to hear this. Any clips out there?

Not yet but since talking about this I've been getting continual harassment from family & friends so of course I have no choice but to create some. I'll try in the next week or so to get something up.

Welcome! That's awesome that you're using it for that. Can't wait to hear the results. :D

I cannot speak highly enough about this unit. There is nothing as you all well know limiting, in any way about this exceptional device. My only complaint is that it doesn't levitate. Will there be an upgrade for that?

I just wanted to say hello & thank you Cliff for your effort in designing this most exceptional & beautiful device.

Amen, brother. Amen.

A little known factoid if used properly this device can actually expel demons or summon them depending on your church of choice.

:D :D :D

Yes, please post clips, I'd love to hear this. Didn't even know they made 6-string violins, but I'm a big fan of bowed strings.

are you in any bands? do you have a myspace or anything like that? there was an amazing violinist playing with massive attack many years ago who blew my mind. she had a lot of effects on her violin and it sounded absolutely Mammoth!! it'd be cool to hear what you can do with the synth block. now there's an idea. i reckon you' could do endless shit using the synths.

Sorry but I think I was the first to post some violin recordings with Axe, almost 2 years ago! :) Just joking, welcome to the forum, it's great to see another violinist here. I use it for a more "classical" sound, I play an old acoustic violin with a Shadow piezo, and I've used it live, on recordings and on television with some IR to achieve a more "acoustic" sound, the piezo sounds terrible on its own, but with the right IR, and a bit of reverb and compression from the Axe I can have an amazing sound. I like to use some weird effects too, violin+fractal axe is lots of fun!!!

hmmm, what a cool application...I think we're all in awe at how the AxeFx would sound with "another" stringed instrument, and one so often thought of as delicate.

LoL, I think back to Mark Wood,...the rock vio-player (he had a double neck violin!)

Sorry but I think I was the first to post some violin recordings with Axe, almost 2 years ago! :) Just joking, welcome to the forum, it's great to see another violinist here. I use it for a more "classical" sound, I play an old acoustic violin with a Shadow piezo, and I've used it live, on recordings and on television with some IR to achieve a more "acoustic" sound, the piezo sounds terrible on its own, but with the right IR, and a bit of reverb and compression from the Axe I can have an amazing sound. I like to use some weird effects too, violin+fractal axe is lots of fun!!!

Are those recordings still available? Or do any of the tracks on your Soundclick link feature violin through the Axe?

I think this is a great combination.

wait till my new arrival is modded :D

KALIMBA+MEINL+KA9-M.JPG

+

390156495669_0.jpg

no, I'm not kidding.

Oh I also figured out a basic set up for using the wah with my pedal, next will be figuring out how to turn it off & on in a patch. Wah's and bows go very well together. :D

Ooo... me wanna hear!!!

As for turning it on/off... autoengage is an awesome feature where you can toggle it on and off simply by moving your expression pedal out of heel position (or back to heel position to disengage it).

Back
Top Bottom