The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

First welcome to the family!

Based on the Volts it looks weird but even by full volume output on the Axe-Fx the signal led on the XT-800 blinkt a tiny bit when hitting the strings hard. And this led should burn normally when playing your guitar. Thats why Andy decided to increase the sensitivity of the amp. If the input signal is matched with the design of the amp only then one can enjoy the quality of the amp to the fullest.

I think both the input mod and the "Andy's secret source mod" (which is a really small change) will have an influence. Not so on the EQ but more on the amps breathing and reactive respons. But these are thoughts I have.

Maybe Octatronic should step in here because he is the first and only that has this last modification heard, compared and now tested.

Regards

It is difficult to have a definite opinion on the newest XT800 until I have the opportunity to A/B the old one and the new one.
That said though it seems to me that overall it is working better with the Axe.
I don't notice the ultra-fast response as much.

I could be mis-remembering though and I really wouldn't take this as anything definite for now.
I really like this XT800 though but then I have spent more time with it.
The last one I had I only had for a few hours and most of that was comparing it to my VHT- a lot of back and forth- because I had to give it back.
This time I have more time to get into it.

Still working with it and will get back to people as soon as I have something more concrete.

The VHT is a power amp designed for guitar, it's not flat response and probably it's frequency response is limited to guitar.

Trying to match a FRFR amp to the VHT isn't useful, we need a tool to amplify the Axe-Fx with the more fidelity we can get.
Hoping for the best for my new amp...

The VHT is a power amp designed for guitar, it's not flat response and probably it's frequency response is limited to guitar.

Trying to match a FRFR amp to the VHT isn't useful, we need a tool to amplify the Axe-Fx with the more fidelity we can get.

I disagree.
The VHT is one of the flatter guitar power amps.
Also, it is my tonal benchmark as far as getting the best guitar tone in the room.

It might not be useful to you but it is to me, and a few others here.
Also, I'm using the Matrix and/or with a guitar cab.
So far I'm pretty disinterested in the cab modelling for live work.
Great for recording though.

Do not jump in to conclusions yet. I still have the original XT-800 and talked intensively with Matrix about the changes VHT owners liked to have. I can assure you the "secret source mod" is only in interest of Axe-Fx users using a FRFR setup or with a guitar cab setup.

So do not worry jet because there is no need :D

Last edited:
Thanks Dada- yeah I am pretty impressed so far with the input sensitivity change alone

Great to hear!! But please tell us some more of your findings and which setup are you using?
FRFR or Amp/Guitar Cab

Regards

Last edited:
I disagree.
The VHT is one of the flatter guitar power amps.

But it's a guitar power amp!
I don't think mr Fyette designed his power amp to be used with this chain: VHT preamp -> power amp simulator -> power amp.

I'm not blaming you guys, I'm only discussing to get a better understanding.

But it's a guitar power amp!
I don't think mr Fyette designed his power amp to be used with this chain: VHT preamp -> power amp simulator -> power amp.

I'm not blaming you guys, I'm only discussing to get a better understanding.

GiRa,

Not offended anyway. Just had MATRIX on the line. You are spot on that the VHT is not a flat amp. The XT800FR is and stays that way even with the mentioned modifications. So any VHT juice which will influence the EQ flatness of the amp is not part of the modifications. Hope I cleared things up :D

Have an nice weekend

Regards

Just to clarify the VHT input.

The VHT is one of the best Valve power amps you can buy, it is also one of the flattest. That does not mean it is flat - and it isnt.

The Matrix IS flat, as will stay so. The comparrisons with the VHT have nothig to do with the EQ curve. I, and thoses other with VHTs accept that some re-EQing of our patches (or in my case a broad brusg Global EQ change) is necessary. That is not the issue. The issue ws the dynamics of the valve amp.

Many people using the Axe - and even more so for users of other modellers (the Matrix isnt exclusively for us) use a valve power amp because it sounds better to us, primarily dynamically - for other modellers its almost a requirement to get real amp like tones/feel from them.

The tweeks made the the GT are purely to get the amp to respond to the dynamics of a guitar player (as opposed to a recording) and so be more satisfying from a "feel" perspective.

The IP sensetivity change was made becase it means the amp reacts more to a change in dynamics/pick attack as a smaller increase in the input results in a larger increase in the output. Because of this it reacts better to pick dynamics than the standard XT. It has nothing to do with the OP wattage which remains as per the specs. It also means that for a given rise in input the GT has a greater rise in output compared to the XT. As the response time is the same 9that is the time it takes to raise an outpur from sat 1v to 3v), it actually takes the GT longer to raise the output to the required amount (because its more sensetive to changes, it may have to raise the output to 4v instead of the XTs 3v)- which is why the response time appears to be slower and more musical for guitar use- - in fact the actual response time is the same its just got further to rise for that same change in input signal.

Last edited:
Paul,
Thanks for your explanation on the input sensitivity impact altough I do not understand it completely. :mrgreen

After experiencing, testing, using the amp myself I will understand it better I think. Have to wait a few more weeks because of a nice long holiday in The Caribean. Poor me.

Greetings and have a nice weekend

Just ordered one as well for use with my FBT Verve 12M's!
I'll be able to compare with my SLA-2 and Brunetti Rockit.

I hope Matrix is up to the task and don´t go down the same road as ProAudio did regarding customer support and communication.
I emailed them about shipping rates to Denmark (just next to the UK to the east) 15 days ago and got a friendly mail saying I´d get a quote within 2 days. I´ve still not heard a thing from them since, even though I mailed them politely again a week ago.
Oh well, I guess I might have to spend my money elsewhere...

Also don't know the shipping rates until now and I've been told the same as you about two weeks ago.
However, one of the 30 GTs is mine and I'm pretty sure it somehow finds the way to Germany :)

The tweeks made the the GT are purely to get the amp to respond to the dynamics of a guitar player (as opposed to a recording) and so be more satisfying from a "feel" perspective.

Let's say I use (or plan to use) my Axe-FX for more than just processing guitar input. There's a whole world of electronic instruments out there that could potentially sound great processed through an Axe-FX (keyboards, vocals, etc.). Ideally I would want an amp (and monitor) so transparent--and not "tweaked" with a bias towards any particular type of input, not even guitar--that I get predictable, linear response no matter what is being fed to it. Frankly, if I want more "guitar dynamics" out of my rig, I'd rather the Axe-FX supply them, not the sound reinforcement aparatus. That's why the Axe-FX has power amp simulation after all.

Does this mean that the GT800FX, with its special tweaks aimed at a "more satisfying feel" for guitar players, is not the best choice for a completely general-purpose rig?

I mailed matrix too , got a few mails back but not a total cost incl shipping to belgium. Although I really want one , a 1U poweramp , I wished there where more of those allready in use. To get more reviews instead of one. I'm sure that if someone would rave about a product over here , a lot of people get excited an order one. So it's a good thing commercial wise. That doesn not mean the amp would not be as good as they claim it'll be. But more reviews give you a better overall view.

But hey , i'm also one of them and one to get one ;-) , but need to get a quote first too

Raf

predictable, linear response no matter what is being fed to it. Frankly, if I want more "guitar dynamics" out of my rig, I'd rather the Axe-FX supply them, not the sound reinforcement aparatus. That's why the Axe-FX has power amp simulation after all.

I totally agree with you.

Because of that I asked Matrix what's exactly the modification in the response but I'm waiting.

@everybody: I know you are impatient but don't blame Matrix for they lag in the response. I'm sure it's because of the new product plus new shipment deal and so on.

I emailed them about shipping rates to Denmark (just next to the UK to the east) 15 days ago and got a friendly mail saying I´d get a quote within 2 days. I´ve still not heard a thing from them since, even though I mailed them politely again a week ago.
Oh well, I guess I might have to spend my money elsewhere...

Patience is sometimes a bit difficult. I know. You can always try to call them. But this small company is quite busy getting the amps build, tested and soak tested for us. But then again they should answer your questions. Probably they will get back to you soon.

Also don't know the shipping rates until now and I've been told the same as you about two weeks ago.
However, one of the 30 GTs is mine and I'm pretty sure it somehow finds the way to Germany :)

Asphyx74
Welcome to the growing family! Please let us know your experience and which passives/drivers you use.

I mailed matrix too , got a few mails back but not a total cost incl shipping to belgium. Although I really want one , a 1U poweramp , I wished there where more of those allready in use. To get more reviews instead of one.
Raf

Raf,
Just type Matrix XT800 in the search function here or google and you will find lots of reviews and Utube stuf. The GT800FX is the modded XT800

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom