The history of Axe Fx so far.

The device that allows to read cat's minds

The first post at the old forum was featuring a Cliff interview where he talked about his passion for cats, and his work on on a device that allows to read cat's minds:

Axe-FX :: View topic - The next product from Fractal Audio... (Cliff's interview)

Although my old friend Peluso (you can see him playing the Charvel on my avatar) has already passed away, I would love to have a device that allows to read cat's minds. 8)

mindread-1.jpg

Last edited:
Old times with the Ultra
26916_1257396555639_2279348_n.jpg

And even older times, on the waiting list for the Axe-FX Standard....
26916_1257397555664_4105839_n.jpg

(I sold all that stuff, including a Egnater M4, a Marshall JMP-1, and many other toys when I got the Axe-FX standard)

Yep, I remember those discussions. I also remember taking a lot of flak from people after I made the switch. People really wanted to hate on the Axe Fx during it's infancy and I'm not truly sure why. Every time I posted on forums about the Axe Fx, it was never a comparison with tube amps, just other modelers and I still got some venomous hate. It really made me feel for what Cliff must see and hear from people.

I first heard about the axe-fx through Meshuggah. I was really into line6 with their new bognercombination with digital effects in a full tube-head. That sounded like the best of both worlds to me. Owning a Vox ad120vt I had some experience with this kind of combothingie and was thiiiiis close to pulling the trigger for a line6 thingie. But then.. I found out that Meshuggah was not using the line6 thingie anymore.. They had start using this new thing called... axe... fx? W000t?? o_O What is this axe....fx..?

I was searching and swingin, flippin' and floppin' in my search for this axe...fx. Found out about it. Sounded awesome, and I was thinking about it / reading about it until the II was revealed... Then I was all about having the II. I was thiiiiiiiis close to buying the ultra, when I heard about the axe-fx II.

Damn I'm glad I got the II!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I was there very early on. Late 2006.

The 'buzz' was just beginning. A bit of havoc really. At that time, my wait time was roughly 1-2 months (I think I waited 3). By the time I received mine, it was up to 6 months +. Out of the box it was like none of the other modelers I'd heard. Way over what the competitors were offering. Yes, it was a huge pain to figure out how to tweak (much of it was my learning curve on advanced digital devices as well.) But I was satisfied tweaking existing presets while I learned.

It went from 0 to 'fooking nuts' in a very short time (Cliff may chime in...it was probably the last time he slept). There were a pile of us trying to find information on it, as well as clips, etc. One person (not remembered...someone help here), did a few 'real world' clips as well as reviews, which sold pretty much all of us. There was about 3 reviews on HC, and I'm sure we all read them 400 times. Popularity grew pretty fast after that, and since most sites were sick and tired of us talking Axe-FX for days, so the setbb forum was born. In time the first incarnations of preset sites and WIKI, and finally Fractal took over the forum.

Helped from my standpoint that there were a few people here in Denver who were REALLY early adopters (cue Sean and Pete.) Eric was not long after me (solo-act), and a few amp fest's later, Denver was peppered with Fractal.

Really, we all just heard the potential of the technology early on, and jumped on board. And I can say I have not been disappointed.

Ron

Pete and I both got our standards in late 2006. Fractal was selling off the last few units that were not ROHS compliant for a really cheap price ($900 or so) so I grabbed one.

After I got it and was using it. Sean (javajunkie) and Eric (soloact) were interested in checking it out. They each came to my house to play through mine before they ordered their own. Soon after that was all the drama of the waitlists and such.

My first standard arrived with firmware 1.xx. But 2.01 was available for download already. I think I downloaded it right away before I started saving presets. When Sean and Eric tried my first unit it was probably still on 2.01.

In the light of FW11 that I REALLY love and that I guess the forum have new users I take the liberty to bump this one so more can get into the story and see (hear) what have happened along the AxeFx road.
Lots of cool stories and soundclips. :)

Saw Scott Peterson's Monster-Thread at TGP in 2007, then read a review in a magazine. In march 2008 I was convinced enough to order the unit, so I send a mail to G66 if they would sell to swiss guys? (just as hint - Jacques is a swiss citizen). Got my standard in august 2008, with firmware 5.22. In 2009 I stayed on Fw7.04 for almost a year, and after fw11 came out I was using the standard up to february 2013 together with a MFC101. Then I got the chance to review the axefx II myself - together with a Matrix Q12a!!! 10 days later it was mine! Since then I'm a happy AF2 user!

I play guitar since quite some time, but not as a professional. I played in various bands (in different rock & pop bands, a jazz trio, organ funky boogaloo quartett, a brecker bros. coverband, a triphop project as a guiatrist & keyboarder, as a bass player in a rock band & as a drummer in a space rock band) and projects, before I started my "all in one, all by myself project" which is a great hobby for me.....since I'm working as a service technician, technical supporter for a audio & lighting distributor, working with more than 25 major brands...there is not much time left. But there is still hope....

I still adore my old modded boogie studio preamps, an old Hughes&Kettner Tubeman Mk1 (modded too), my Lexicon PCM70 reverb, and some boutique fx-pedals and preamps - mostly stuff which was sent to me for a written review! I love to test some "yet unknown" stuff..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom