The Hipower and WEM cab... I'm tellin' ya! Vid and preset.

Burgs

Power User
A pre-CBS Strat replica turned up at my place today. It's full of good parts, but the best are a set of Abby Ybarra CS '69's. Probably worth the price of the guitar itself. I figured they'd be cool to demo as they sound pretty amazing and might interest people. So I wrote a preset based around David Gilmour's tones and rig and let rip with my favourite old backing track that I found on a '98 Total Guitar mag.

This is the video.

This is the preset.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6080

Enjoy.

Such lovely tones and playing. Really enjoyed this clip. Thanks for sharing your presets.

Tone is definitely in the fingers. They also built that preset. Win-win. So nice! Lots of great coming together.

Back in 1987 I was (and still am) working with an Australian artist called James Reyne. He was pretty huge then having just severed himself from his now iconic band, Australian Crawl, and gone out solo. We played huge venues and were managed by Roger Davies who also had Tina Turner, Cher, David Bowie and a few others on his books. Things were good for a young guitarist like me. I lapped up all of the trappings as one does and got pretty comfortable (and lost) in the euphoria of business class, 5 star hotels, mega-famous courtesans and sheer abandonment. Somehow I still managed to play OK night after night. We used to have extended stays at a hotel in Sydney called The Sebel (now a shitty apartment block). It was the first call for international touring acts and it was always rocking very hard. It was dangerous because its notorious and famous bar ...and anything else you wanted... were all available 24hrs from the bar. Ouch. I digress. Pink Floyd, AC/DC and ourselves were all staying there one night in '87. Floyd were on the Division Bell run, AC/DC something else... (can't remember!) and we were pushing our fearless leader's new album which was a local No.1 hit at the time. So the bar was going nuts. Having spent some of my teenage youth admiring bits and pieces of David Gilmour's work on a couple of Floyd albums - The Wall and DSOTM mostly - I wondered if he'd front the famous Sebel bar. He did! I said hello, that I admired his work greatly and that people said I played a bit like him (like he'd care..!) and he was the total gentleman. He won't remember, of course, but I do - how could you forget? Only a couple of minutes, but I won't forget. We went to see them the night after as their guests. Mental show. Crazy. Guy Pratt was playing with them as well. He and I would meet again later. I remembered David's tones. Big and pure, unforced, lush in parts, considered, melodic, mostly pentatonic blues based but with plenty of Alice In Wonderland influence. Comfortably Numb was a standout, predictably, as was the Shine On... suite. Those tones weren't far from the ones I had in my own head - or maybe Mr Gilmour put them there. I'm not sure because I started with Slade, T-Rex, David Bowie (especially Mick Ronson) and the glam stuff before I was a teen. That's why I find it easy to do today, I guess. I remember thinking. "He's up there standing pretty still, just digging the power from that HIWATT rig and letting it rip and flow... really relaxed. I don't think he really cares much about the huge spectacle and flying stuff around him and the 16,000 people watching and freaking out. Ha!" I liked him even more for that. Such a cool cat.

What a great story! Is there an equally interesting tale behind your forum name?
Thanks. Fond memories! Actually, I was wrong in part: It wasn't AC/DC that time, it was Tina Turner and her band. I remember now because she went off the road the following year and we poached two of her members, James Ralston and Ollie Marland, to join our band.

'Burgs' - a simple schoolyard extension of my surname 'Kingman'. Burger King...

Awesome tone and playing!
I'm big Pink Floyd fan from teenage years!
Thanks for sharing the preset, though I have only PRS custom22 probably it's not gonna work just as good as strat , will see..

Wow... I started listening/watching your video and was enjoying it mildly - I almost moved on (before you really started to cook). Very glad I stayed for the whole show!

A pre-CBS Strat replica turned up at my place today. It's full of good parts, but the best are a set of Abby Ybarra CS '69's. Probably worth the price of the guitar itself. I figured they'd be cool to demo as they sound pretty amazing and might interest people. So I wrote a preset based around David Gilmour's tones and rig and let rip with my favourite old backing track that I found on a '98 Total Guitar mag.

This is the video.

This is the preset.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6080

Enjoy.

Hi Burgs,
Here’s my take on your great preset with slight tweaks.
I love how it sounds. I Hope you do too:

...but the best are a set of Abby Ybarra CS '69's. Probably worth the price of the guitar itself.

I have a signed set in my American, 70's re-issue Strat, I absolutely love them, with the Axe-Fx but especially with my AC30!

Back
Top Bottom