The Greatest Recto Tone Ever?

Hybrid theory wasn’t a recto homies….it was a morin modded Marshall. Very little documentation during those times and those records, but that record was a morin modded Marshall, and believe it or not a matchless 4x12 was in there. Not a recto at all.

Almost all of those bands who did those records at NRG studios used mike morins modded Marshalls, those amps have never been sold to my knowledge and are still there. Papa roach, alien ant farm, trapt, linkin park, korn, etc. those are mikes amps, not a recto at all. Even slash’s live amps were modded by mike. Mikes amps have been on more records than Friedman, soldano, Rivera, and Bradshaw combined, and very few of you have probably even heard of him. Quite a shame really. I waited 15+ years to find one I wanted, incredible amps.

Last edited:
Hybrid theory wasn’t a recto homies….it was a morin modded Marshall. Very little documentation during those times and those records, but that record was a morin modded Marshall, and believe it or not a matchless 4x12 was in there. Not a recto at all.

Almost all of those bands who did those records at NRG studios used mike morins modded Marshalls, those amps have never been sold to my knowledge and are still there. Papa roach, alien ant farm, trapt, linkin park, korn, etc. those are mikes amps, not a recto at all. Even slash’s live amps were modded by mike. Mikes amps have been on more records than Friedman, soldano, Rivera, and Bradshaw combined, and very few of you have probably even heard of him. Quite a shame really. I waited 15+ years to find one I wanted, incredible amps.
There’s a thread on tgp praising the original line6 pod, someone there claimed that they’d used a pod on hybrid theory 🤦‍♂️
Takes about 3 seconds to hear the tone and deduce that it’s not a pod

Didn’t realise it was a modded Marshall but the sound is great on them

That is so awesome!

Really great video, Cooper! Thanks for sharing.

Watching the video, I’m growing suspicious that my AxeFX is not set up correctly. From what I can tell, Carter uses passive pickups in the video. When I tried to recreate the same tone in my AxeFX, my guitar didn’t nearly drive the preamp as much as Cooper‘s did. I tried several guitars with EMG-81, EMG FAT 55 and Fishman Fluence Pickups. My A/D input sensitivity is set to 33%. Otherwise I get the input clipping message all the time. Even when changing the input sensitivity to 100 percent, I’m not getting the same distortion levels as shown in the video.

So I’m using some of the hottest pickups available and still they don’t drive the preamp as hard.

Do you guys have any idea, what I’m doing wrong?

Any help appreciated!

That is so awesome!

Watching the video, I’m growing suspicious that my AxeFX is not set up correctly. From what I can tell, Carter uses passive pickups in the video. When I tried to recreate the same tone in my AxeFX, my guitar didn’t nearly drive the preamp as much as Cooper‘s did. I tried several guitars with EMG-81, EMG FAT 55 and Fishman Fluence Pickups. My A/D input sensitivity is set to 33%. Otherwise I get the input clipping message all the time. Even when changing the input sensitivity to 100 percent, I’m not getting the same distortion levels as shown in the video.

So I’m using some of the hottest pickups available and still they don’t drive the preamp as hard.

Any help appreciated!

Similar situation for me in regard to Cooper’s videos. I always seem to need more gain to match what I’m hearing on the YouTube vids. And I use mostly medium to med-high output humbuckers.

That is so awesome!

Any help appreciated!
He's using ebmm jp, which have very high output levels

Are you sure they did not layer Rectos into the chorus though? The main amp might have been a Marshall as many bands do but they blend it with recto
I know live they were early adopters (along w Dan Donegan of. Disturbed )of the Randall RM4 preamps and used Recto modules for that were modded

Are you sure they did not layer Rectos into the chorus though? The main amp might have been a Marshall as many bands do but they blend it with recto
I know live they were early adopters (along w Dan Donegan of. Disturbed )of the Randall RM4 preamps and used Recto modules for that were modded

I’m not 100 percent sure that didn’t happen, no. I can hear what you mean for sure on the choruses no doubt, and it would make sense given how much bottom end there is there. But, the vast, vast majority of those tones are a Morin Marshall. NRG was notorious for not documenting what amps were used on those records , as was pretty much everyone at the time. If you look inside CD cases during those times you’ll see no mention of anything related to gear or sponsorships at all etc.

But, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty, the overwhelming majority of guitar tones during thay era that came out of that studio specifically, were morin modded Marshalls. The most famous unknown amp modder in the world. And like I said, it’s truly a shame. I own tons and tons of amps, and my morin Marshall is by far, without a doubt, the most out of control scariest amp I’ve ever known, while also being tight. The frequencies mike tweaks just hit right and sit in a mix perfectly, dude is a genius, and unfortunately retired as well. However, he is still easy to get ahold of, and for anyone curious about the info I’m giving and want more details on these records, email mike, he will more than likely be happy to share.

That’s funny because my reference sound for Rectos is that song. Damn. Thanks for sharing! Great info.

Anything may be true for "almost all of those bands" -- lotta great music out of NRG those days and to this day.

In the case of Linkin Park and Hybrid Theory, though, I have it straight from the horse's mouth: the album is a mix of either Recto or modded Marshall song-to-song, some with both mixed. I concentrated on the Recto in this video because imo it fits the sound better for this particular tune.

Be well, homie! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Anything may be true for "almost all of those bands" -- lotta great music out of NRG those days and to this day.

In the case of Linkin Park and Hybrid Theory, though, I have it straight from the horse's mouth: the album is a mix of either Recto or modded Marshall song-to-song, some with both mixed. I concentrated on the Recto in this video because imo it fits the sound better for this particular tune.

Be well, homie! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Sounded great man, regardless of what you used!

Back
Top Bottom