The end of the "amp in th room" discussion for me

Just query "amp in the room" by member fractalaudio. Cliff has said over and over again, if you want amp in the room, use a power amp and cab. It's in many threads.

I wish FRFR did sound/feel the same to me just for the space it would save! :)
Never cared for amp in the room... But when I got the first Axe, like a nearly a decade ago I did the rack thing.
Eventually ended up with IEM and going to FOH.
I did 3 years of IEM, don't dig it if I don't have to.
Went back to loaded down amps/Axe set up.
Then started doing it without power amp/cabs. With Atomic Reactors.

Recently hybrid again, Axe FRFR, and into tube power amp into guitar cab.
My final signal is Axe and multiple mics on guitar cab

I cannot even fathom the idea of using a solid state outer amp. I rather use a duplicate of the amp block without power amp sim to run with the guitar cab if I can not find s comprise.
But really don't mind the concept of loaded down power amp into per amp.
Remind me of my guytron days.

I love Q6... Even more so with a guitar cab.

When I play my presets at home (studio monitors, headphone or RCF 412a) I often make some small adjustments and I know that they translate the same way for every systems that I play (2 Q12a and a small pa in the rehearse, IEM and pa on stages).

When I'd start to use guitar cabs with the axe-fx, how then could I tweak presets? Then I'd always had to keep in mind that it has to work too on all different systems. You might say I could take an IR of my guitar cab for the FOH signal. But then I ask, why not using just that IR with a monitor.

So even if it sounds good with a guitar cab at home it could have a negative influence on the FOH signal, because I'd then waste some time tweaking the cab signal instead of optimizing the FOH signal.

If you want to go that route, take a look at the fxloop block. This will give you one signal to front of house with IRs etc and a completely seperate signal chain for your amp/cab configuration. Lots of guys run that way.

This is exactly what I would expect and your experience is exactly what I needed. Thx! The 2:90, 20/20, Hiwatt power amps are all great. But, unless you are using them with Mesa amps and Hiwatts, it won't be right. IE: I'm a big Vox guy. I can run Axe Voxes thru the EL84 20/20 but I know it won't be the same as using the Axe power sims. So, Which Matrix do I get? Any suggestions? I am typically running into cabs that will handle a max of 100w. These SS amps have huge power ratings. I don't want to blow up my speakers. What is the smart way to go SS?

Thank You!
I use the GT1000FX and GM50 in a 2x12 for smaller rooms. Just keep the levels down and you won't blow anything up. My 4x12 has 4 Greenbacks so it's a 100 watt cab. I have no problems.

When I play my presets at home (studio monitors, headphone or RCF 412a) I often make some small adjustments and I know that they translate the same way for every systems that I play (2 Q12a and a small pa in the rehearse, IEM and pa on stages).

When I'd start to use guitar cabs with the axe-fx, how then could I tweak presets? Then I'd always had to keep in mind that it has to work too on all different systems. You might say I could take an IR of my guitar cab for the FOH signal. But then I ask, why not using just that IR with a monitor.

So even if it sounds good with a guitar cab at home it could have a negative influence on the FOH signal, because I'd then waste some time tweaking the cab signal instead of optimizing the FOH signal.
First off changes made on one set of reference might it might not translate to another.
I can't answer for you but I can tell you that my way of miking a speaker is to me preferable than any IR.
And I've used my own IRs since Waves Q clone came out.

So in my world both have a place. No reason for either or

I guess I'm one of the lucky one's who bought the axe with the built in amp in the room option:) I get great direct recordings, amp in the room feeling and sitting in the mix with a band just using 2 atomics.

I run the same setup: Axe through Mesa 2:90 into Mesa 1x12's. I tried going to FRFR but it just didn't cut it for me either. The sound was good through FRFR- very smooth and just what the Axe advertises but I prefer the 2:90 and cabs for that indefinable feel.
If I was gigging on a regular basis, I would probably figure something out to save on the back from carrying extra gear after three back surgeries but I'm ok with what I have, especially since I ended up with an extra 2:90 when I had a problem with one so I just leave it at the jam room with a set of speakers and carry my Axe back and forth. I have split my power amp and Axe into two cases and the 1x12's are a lot easier to carry.
I have been thinking about trying a Matrix to replace the Mesa but haven't done it yet.

Back
Top Bottom