The Edge/U2 and UAFX pedals

I'll update my Streets preset over next few days or latest firmware release (it's been a while since I played the song) and then I'll post a clip. I like the tone in the Slane version but over last few years I've been using the Paris clip as a reference. I can get very close to that version.

Here is my old cover (12 yrs ago!) of Streets using the Axe and SansAmp Liverpool pedal. I thought the pedal had a wonderful warm tone to it and the "chime" came through. Forgive the mix (guitar too loud relative to backtrack). I later used this tone to help build my model in the Axe-Fx.

U2 Streets Preset Thanksgiving Week Bake-Off anyone?

Here's mine, based on the Seattle JT Anniversary Tour.

Notable amp tweaks: mid-boosts and speaker tab settings.
Signal path: Edge strat (quack position) -> AFX III (FW 23.02) -> QSC 12

Attachments

• Streets Seattle Preset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
Delay/repeat level is a little louder than many tours just like it was for the original JT tour in the 80’s.

Edit: I’m referring to the YouTube video’s audio track. Sounds like it’s recorded from an iem feed.

I'll update my Streets preset over next few days or latest firmware release (it's been a while since I played the song) and then I'll post a clip. I like the tone in the Slane version but over last few years I've been using the Paris clip as a reference. I can get very close to that version.

Here is my old cover (12 yrs ago!) of Streets using the Axe and SansAmp Liverpool pedal. I thought the pedal had a wonderful warm tone to it and the "chime" came through. Forgive the mix (guitar too loud relative to backtrack). I later used this tone to help build my model in the Axe-Fx.

I really enjoy your videos, best U2 tutorials on YouTube.

I made some minor tweeks to my preset based on FW 21.04. I used the Paris clip above as my reference point. There is no tone matching here. As I mentioned above, there is no reason to ever use another amp. BTW the trick for U2 tone IMHO with the Axe is the negative feedback knob. For the standard model it's at zero and zounds way too thin. This parameter thickens and warms up the tone. I have this set at 6. It changed everything when I experimented with this parameter. I never assume you have to rely on the standard settings. Some parameters have a bigger effect on the tone than others, so I usually experiment with a few that seems to drive the overall tone (beyond the EQ and other basic tone knobs). I recommend quality speakers turned up loud to hear the crisp chime.

U2 Streets Paris Tone

Last edited:
I have a thought here. I've played with my own Fractal settings quite a bit, and have also tried others' Fractal presets for U2 streets. I suspect that one person's preset might not sound so great with another's strat. I think the particular bridge and middle pickups combination plays significant role in what the AC30 model produces, and how it reacts. We know that Edge uses something wound a bit hotter in the bridge. In his signature model, it's a DiMarzio FS-1 in the bridge and a hot 50s in the middle, I believe. Probably, something like that combination is necessary to get the AC30 model to react properly.

U2 Streets Preset Thanksgiving Week Bake-Off anyone?

I'll take you up on that. As soon as I figure out how, I'll upload my take.

Interesting, as the AC30's tone is often attributed to the absence of a negative feedback circuit.
I know, but I just can't get the Axe model to work the way I want to without turning it on and up. I've tried others' presets over the years and they are almost always too "thiin and/or brittle." So I started from scratch one day and spent hours experimenting with all the knobs to understand how they impacted the tone. I narrowed it down to a five or so various advanced settings or settings only Cliff really understands. All I did was trust my ears and experimented. The day I turned the feedback up changed everything. At least for U2 tone. Something about Edge's tone is bright and warm, but not thin and brittle. It just works for me.

I have a thought here. I've played with my own Fractal settings quite a bit, and have also tried others' Fractal presets for U2 streets. I suspect that one person's preset might not sound so great with another's strat. I think the particular bridge and middle pickups combination plays significant role in what the AC30 model produces, and how it reacts. We know that Edge uses something wound a bit hotter in the bridge. In his signature model, it's a DiMarzio FS-1 in the bridge and a hot 50s in the middle, I believe. Probably, something like that combination is necessary to get the AC30 model to react properly.

Ya his current sig series has custom shop fat 50’s in the neck and middle. I’ve owned an original ‘73 and have a current sig series version and other than weight, the big difference with the current signature series is the quack position. It is really chime’y. The bridge isn’t super hot as you might think, but hotter than a std strat p/u. But to be honest I’ve heard recordings of guys with MIM strats, and if they can play, a normal person wouldn’t make out the difference.

Edit: I’m going to play with the negative feedback. Other than that to me what makes the biggest difference are 2 things: the IR you choose and what you are playing through. I have studio monitors and I have a RedSound Elis.8. There is a massive difference in what I hear depending on the physical speaker/frfr.

Last edited:
This sounds great! Are you able to share the preset, or at least the delay settings? Are you running an SDD-3000 drive before the amp?
Sure, I'll post it next time I turn on the gear (over the holiday). I tried the SDD-3000 before the amp and to me it's just a boost. Maybe my ears can't tell, but it doesn't seem to doo much. It's not the key to my tone with the Axe. I've learned to simplify. I tried to make all my core tone adjustments in the amp model. There are so many parameters that I figure there must be a way to figure it out without adding blocks. The Axe gets too complicated when you try to create tone with too many blocks because it just adds more parameters and leads to the never ending combinations of changes you can make. You can get that subtle "edge of breakup" in so many ways. There is the gain, trim, built in boost, etc. So many ways to get that natural drive. And if you can't get it with the TB AC-30 model, then just try another amp model. Maybe the AC-20 for example. The mistake I made at the beginning is I assumed you have to use the model that the artist uses. We all have different guitars, speakers and ears, so don't limit yourself to what amp you use. In fact, you could take many of the models and change their parameters enough to sound like other models. Cliff has made the circuits so "digitally accessible" that we are able to change the tone of the original amp completely. Add the built in EQ and you can model anything.

Agree and all your assumptions are right on target. Many (not all) of Edge's strat songs are played in quack position (Streets, AIWIY, Pride, ISHFWILF, etc). Strat quack into AC-30 set to "edge of breakup" is the core tone. Don't forget the Edge uses a Herdim pick and turns it sideways. He strikes the strings with the dimples on the blue pick that are meant to be a no-slip surface. That adds to the grit you're hearing. It's not just the slightly over-driven amp tone. It's the scratch from the Herdim dimples. Then there are the modulated delays - the key is to use a digital, modulated delay.

You don't need an FS-1 but you do need a strong bridge pup. I have Kinman noiseless pups in the Strat I used above (evidence you don't need the exact pups either). You can compensate for your gear with the amp model. Definitely your gear will not sound the same using other presets. I've tried to edit others' presets and they never work for me. It's a combination of different gear, speakers and ears. I do reference other presets for songs by other artists but I will always go back and build it myself starting with the default model. And I always compare to the track I'm looking to sound like. Trust your ears, not the presets made by others. It's frustrating to grab a preset and then have it sound like crap. You end up spending time trying to figure out how your gear is "wrong" or "different." Instead, just trust your ears with your gear and converge on the tone you're looking for.

I know, but I just can't get the Axe model to work the way I want to without turning it on and up. I've tried others' presets over the years and they are almost always too "thiin and/or brittle." So I started from scratch one day and spent hours experimenting with all the knobs to understand how they impacted the tone. I narrowed it down to a five or so various advanced settings or settings only Cliff really understands. All I did was trust my ears and experimented. The day I turned the feedback up changed everything. At least for U2 tone. Something about Edge's tone is bright and warm, but not thin and brittle. It just works for me.

That very cool and good advice. Always experiment with your ears. Thanks too, btw, for all your past tutorials. I've been a fan for a long time.

Speaking of the SDD3000 drive model, does anyone know what drive value matches the SDD unit? Is it 0? 1? The SDD unit itself doesn't have a "drive" knob.

Dallas mentioned Edge has to use capacitors into his wireless packs to mimic long cable runs, I've found changing the input impedance and introducing a capacitor in the Axe helps tame the extreme, glassy high end of strats into the HW model. Also bringing the bright cap all the way down to 10pf makes it sound more natural.

Last edited:
Yeah i know, we can replicate the +4dB boost easily, the SDD drive model audiably distorts when the drive value increases though, I'm asking what drive value matches the SDD preamp. I don't think I've ever seen it documented, I've always assumed it's a value of 1.
Sorry. I will take a look at my settings and get back to you.

Someone posted the R&H version and later took it down, but I think it should be here. This tone is SO clean:

Best way to do this IMHO is to add FET boost at ~2 and reduce AC30 gain to ~2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom