Bug? The dreaded Name Timeout issue v7

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
Well, the dreaded Name Timeout issue is back for me!! Anyone else having this problem? I re-downloaded the firmware & reinstalled but still have the same problem. Changing banks on the MFC eventually triggers it every time!! The 3rd time I tried it happened with in 2 minutes. No computer even connected. Not good!!

Well, the dreaded Name Timeout issue is back for me!! Anyone else having this problem? I re-downloaded the firmware & reinstalled but still have the same problem. Changing banks on the MFC eventually triggers it every time!! The 3rd time I tried it happened with in 2 minutes. No computer even connected. Not good!!
I think every time this issue has come up its related in some way to a bad cable.

This is my 3rd time around with this issue & not once has it been attributed to a cable. I have 3 ethernet cables, 2 Best Tronics & a good quality generic cable & it does it with all 3. In fact, it's getting worse. It just now happened going from scene 2 to scene 1 in the same preset! This is the worst it's been & the only thing that has fixed it in the past was a new revision of the firmware. I have sent my Axe in twice, the MFC once & they never found anything wrong so it's not hardware related. The only thing left is firmware unless every preset I have is corrupted!

This is my 3rd time around with this issue & not once has it been attributed to a cable. I have 3 ethernet cables, 2 Best Tronics & a good quality generic cable & it does it with all 3. In fact, it's getting worse. It just now happened going from scene 2 to scene 1 in the same preset! This is the worst it's been & the only thing that has fixed it in the past was a new revision of the firmware. I have sent my Axe in twice, the MFC once & they never found anything wrong so it's not hardware related. The only thing left is firmware unless every preset I have is corrupted!
I have a gig this weekend and hope I don't have to go back to 7beta 2. Out of curiosity, have you ever redone all your presets from scratch since Quantum or are they evolved from pre Quantum FW?

I have a gig this weekend and hope I don't have to go back to 7beta 2. Out of curiosity, have you ever redone all your presets from scratch since Quantum or are they evolved from pre Quantum FW?

Some re pre-quantum, others are from scratch after Quantum. It will time out on different presets & not the same one twice.

Try this..

Power up your axe....wait about 10 seconds-ish.....then connect the Ethernet to the mfc. Essentially, youre letting the axe boot up completely then adding the mfc.

I did this when I had a cord that wasn't bi-directional, and I wasn't aware of it, and it worked.

Well, name time out again after about an hour of playing using a different cable. Not good!! Different preset every time. It used to only happen when I was scrolling thru banks but now it happens just changing a preset within the same bank or going from 1 scene to another in the same preset. Is anyone from Fractal looking into this??

Well, name time out again after about an hour of playing using a different cable. Not good!! Different preset every time. It used to only happen when I was scrolling thru banks but now it happens just changing a preset within the same bank or going from 1 scene to another in the same preset. Is anyone from Fractal looking into this??
Have you opened a support case with Fractal? If not then I wouldn't expect it.

Not yet. I was hoping I wasn't the only one with the problem plus I saw a post recently, I think from Yek, saying they do keep an eye on the bug section, which they should.

Try this..

Power up your axe....wait about 10 seconds-ish.....then connect the Ethernet to the mfc. Essentially, youre letting the axe boot up completely then adding the mfc.

I did this when I had a cord that wasn't bi-directional, and I wasn't aware of it, and it worked.

FYI: Both the MFC and Axe II manuals specifically say to always power off the Axe II before connecting or disconnecting the MFC.

Last edited:
Do we know what models of the gear you are using? Mark I? II? How are you connecting things?

If you are using a Ethernet cable, can you try using a MIDI cable and power supply instead? Don't ever connect the power supply AND Ethernet at the same time though.

Do we know what models of the gear you are using? Mark I? II? How are you connecting things?

If you are using a Ethernet cable, can you try using a MIDI cable and power supply instead? Don't ever connect the power supply AND Ethernet at the same time though.

I have an XL. The first time it was still connected to the computer but no Axe Edit or Fractal Bot running. The MFC is connected by ethernet & I need it to work that way as I also have a RAC12 that needs the midi. The RAC12 was NOT connected when this happened both times. Last night, nothing was connected to the Axe other than my guitar, the MFC & 2 CLRs. MFC has the latest firmware 3.08. I have a 2nd XL I use in 4CM with a Triaxis rig that I am going to update & test tonight & see if it has the same problem.

Well, this time out issue keeps getting worse & worse to the point that it immediately times out when you turn the Axe on. I've tried 3 different cables, same results. I rolled back to 7.0b2 & it works flawlessly! I tried everything I could think of to crash it, scrolling all over the place & not 1 hiccup! It's the firmware!

I was one of the victims of a similar FW glitch (Q 6.01 or 2, forget now) and it's sure frustrating.but will be addressed....def make a service ticket withFAS, if u haven't yet. Luckily I haven't had any problems with 7.... yet

Back
Top Bottom