The Bass Preset Collection Project

This is the preset I use. I rarely use anything else. It doesn't use an amp sim or cab. You can use it in one of two ways. I personally have a Sansamp RPM that I run as a pre-amp into the Axe for both bass and guitar that allows me to control levels and make quick EQ changes. For this preset, I have all the EQs centered on the Sansamp, but I do have the blend maxed so it uses the Sansamp's tube emulation.

The second way to use it is straight into the Axe and use the graphic EQs to adjust your tone, so it acts like a solid state bass amp.

The effects are all adjusted for bass, and there are a few scenes with different combinations. There are two compressors. You can enable one or the other as the feed line for the chain, but don't enable both. I'd recommend just leaving it as it is and adjusting the GEQs for your needs. The effects are hopefully all leveled appropriately, but for different combinations, it may hit the clip light and need some minor adjustments.

This preset sounds good in headphones, recorded and through a full range cab setup, so it's usable for a variety of configurations. It also helps to have an active EQ on your bass. I have a 3 band on mine with a mid frequency switch, so it makes it completely easy to adjust tone. If you're using one without an active EQ, the EQs in the preset will become far more important obviously.

Last edited:
Here are some bass presets you can hear :

Will post the presets very soon (don't know how to name them, except 1 2 3... ?^^)

Last edited:
AxeFxII bass tone - Drop D tuning - played with pick

Here's a quick recording I did of a basic "hard rock/metal" preset I made (similar to an Alice in Chains, Dirt Album tone).

Here are some of the details:

First half of the recording is a Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 string unprocessed (WYHIWYG).
The second half of the recording is the same bass into a preset created on the Fractal Audio Systems AxeFxII:

comp2 --> SV Bass ---> 4x10 SV Bass M88 Mix

Both bridge & neck pickups up full: Bass and Treble tone knobs up all the way, mid at center detent. D'Addario EXL 165 Nickel Wound 45 - 105, drop D tuning, played fairly aggressively with a pick.

Bass specs are here: www.schecterguitars.com/products/bass…studio-4.aspx

And here's the .syx file:

Attachments

• STILETTO 06-14-2013.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Great stuff guys! Keep 'em coming! I'm starting to load these up into my rig now. Hoping for a weekend session to start trying them out.

Hi there,i made a "Rock" bass preset.
I have X-Y states.
But i have not made any Scenes.

I used my Sandberg CA Supreme.

Be shure to test the Y cab,it`s a Bassman cab,with 67 Cond.
I think it sound good.

I chased for a Orange Bass sound. This is why i used the Citrus amp Block.
This also have a X-Y state.

And so does the drive,flanger,chorus,and phaser Block`s

Hope you like it!

Take i listen to it here (i just switch around,the cab and amp Block)

Here is the Preset!
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Bass Rock X-Y - by seedoftheday

I might get around to posting my basic "live" patch setup - runs a simultaneous full signal (with cab sim) to Output 1 to go direct to FOH, and without sim via the FX-loop (Output 2). Working well for me live.
It all started with one of seedoftheday's patches though, so I'll let him provide his expertise :)

I ordered my fx2 today, and have two greenboy f115 cabs under construction. These are probably more like pa or sound reinforcement cabs than other bass cabs. Figure the fx2 will be a good match (along with an 1800 watt solid state amp)...interestingly, I'll even be able to Run in stereo. Anyway, I look forward to contributing and benefitting from this worthwhile thread! Thank you all and kind regards...couldn't be more excited! Oh BTW, and I'll date myself with this, but does anyone remember the ART Nightbass 2 rack space preamp? Early 90s digital stuff...sonically a disaster, but kind of ironic that Im coming back a powerful 2rack space fx unit for bass so many years later! Besides the irony (if that's the right word) my point is I've always enjoyed cool effects on bass, so this'll be a treat! Ok, enough about me ;-)...

I ordered my fx2 today, and have two greenboy f115 cabs under construction. These are probably more like pa or sound reinforcement cabs than other bass cabs. Figure the fx2 will be a good match (along with an 1800 watt solid state amp)...interestingly, I'll even be able to Run in stereo. Anyway, I look forward to contributing and benefitting from this worthwhile thread! Thank you all and kind regards...couldn't be more excited! Oh BTW, and I'll date myself with this, but does anyone remember the ART Nightbass 2 rack space preamp? Early 90s digital stuff...sonically a disaster, but kind of ironic that Im coming back a powerful 2rack space fx unit for bass so many years later! Besides the irony (if that's the right word) my point is I've always enjoyed cool effects on bass, so this'll be a treat! Ok, enough about me ;-)...

Oooh. That rig will make some serious noise! I do remember the Nightbass, but at the time I was pretty well satisfied with my Hartke 4x10 cabs and GK 800RB head (I was lucky, worked in a music store at the time). I never really felt that the ART stuff of that vintage sounded all that great. The FX were only OK, and the overdrive preamp stuff seemed god awful as memory serves me (or not...that was many brain cells ago!).

The AxeFxII will serve you well, especially if you like to do crazy routings and load up on esoteric sounds and special effects with foot controllers. There is simply nothing better or more flexible IMO. For tones, obviously the SV Bass amp model is a good place to start, but also the Tube Pre sounds good. If you're more into vintage sounds, the Fender Bassman can be cool, especially since you can get the "good stuff" from the preamp/amp before it starts to fall apart and "fart out" like the real amps do (unless you like that stuff). I've also found some of the vintage Marshall heads to sound good for certain bass tones. Don't be afraid to experiment with all kinds of different combinations of amp model/cab model, though a subtle hint to FAS & Cliff via the Wish List for more bass amps would be appreciated. ;)

Here's an updated and renamed version of my Bass No Amp Sim 4 preset. Here are the changes I've made:

1. The preset was modified and saved in firmware 11b.
2. Now renamed to Universal Bass.
3. Changed Compressor 2 to Pedal 2 type. Compressor 1 is still Studio type.
4. Removed two GEQs.
5. Added SV Bass amp sim.
6. Added Looper block for those who want to use a looper.
7. Changed reverb type to Studio.
8. Changed wah type to Cry Babe.

Notes:

1. This preset is adjusted for my Ibanez basses which both have three band EQs that I use to shape the tone. You'll have to adjust the EQs and tone to fit your particular basses.

2. The compressors are the input lines. Select which type you want to use and enable it. Disable the other. I've been really liking Pedal 2 for bass, so that one's enabled by default.

3. The amp sim is enabled by default. You can disable it if you're running a preamp. For example, I'm running a Sansamp RPM as a preamp. So when I'm using the tube emulation on it, I have the amp sim disabled to turn the preset into an effects only preset. You can also leave the amp sim disabled and use the GEQ to make the preset act like you're using a solid state bass amp.

If you have any questions about the preset, just ask.

Last edited:
I wish I had something good to contribute here patchwise. Sadly I don't... but I CAN contribute my support!

Greetings, bassists!

With several prominent bass players now using the Axe-FxII, we are embarking on a quest to assemble a collection of bass presets, with the ultimate goal of offering one full bank of 128 for download. ... If you have presets you’d like to be included in this first “official" bank, ... All suggestions are welcome! :encouragement:

Wow! I'd love to hear presets of any Aguilar bass amps ... and so would my 1966 pre-CBS Fender Jazz Bass! Viva Fractopia!:encouragement:

Don't be afraid to experiment with all kinds of different combinations of amp model/cab model, though a subtle hint to FAS & Cliff via the Wish List for more bass amps would be appreciated. ;)

Hint taken :encouragement: Lots going on right now, but it will be good to hear from you with specific amp suggestions.

Here's an updated version of my Universal Bass preset. It's the same as my last posting so be sure to read those notes, except that now all eight scenes are utilized, I modified the mix level on the pitch block, I made a few small adjustments to the amp sim and I made level adjustments on everything, so every scene should be relatively close now. Also, there's a minor difference between the X and Y settings on the amp. On X the treble EQ is all the way down and on Y it's at 2.50. I also bumped the mid up to 3 in both X and Y. I also had the EMPH set to 10 in the Compressor 2 block. I have reduced that to 0 for a more open sound.

As always, adjust the EQs in the amp sim, or if bypassing the amp sim, the GEQ block right after it to work with your bass and what tone you want. I have it set for my bass which has a 3 band EQ and a mid frequency switch, so you'll need to dial it in for whatever you're using.

This preset was edited and saved in 11.03.

Attachments

• Universal Bass.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 151
Bass Cab IRs attached

G'day All,

I've attached some IRs that should be great for Bass as follows.
Please let me know if you enjoy them.

Pauly

Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 BiAmp U87.syx - Box with JBL 2225 and K110 biamped and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 EQd BiAmp U87.syx - Box with JBL 2225 and K110 biamped with 'smile' eq and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 STACK BiAmp U87.syx - 2 Boxes with JBL 2225 and K110 biamped and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 U87.syx - Box with JBL 2225 and K110 FR and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL 2225 EQd BiAmp KM184.syx - Box with JBL 2225 biamped with 'smile' eq and micd with a Neumann KM184
Pauly IR JBL 2225 EQd BiAmp U87.syx - Box with JBL 2225 biamped with 'smile' eq and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL 2225 KM184.syx - Box with JBL 2225 micd with a Neumann KM184
Pauly IR JBL 2225 U87.syx - Box with JBL 2225 micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL K110 EQd BiAmp KM184.syx - Box with JBL K110 biamped with 'smile' eq and micd with a Neumann KM184
Pauly IR JBL K110 EQd BiAmp U87.syx - Box with JBL K110 biamped and micd with a Neumann U87
Pauly IR JBL K110 KM184 V2.syx - Box with JBL K110 micd with a Neumann KM184 Version 2
Pauly IR JBL K110 KM184.syx - Box with JBL K110 micd with a Neumann KM184
Pauly IR JBL K110 U87.syx - Box with JBL K110 micd with a Neumann U87

Attachments

• Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 BiAmp U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 EQd BiAmp U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 STACK BiAmp U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Pauly IR JBL 2225 and K110 U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Pauly IR JBL 2225 EQd BiAmp KM184.syx