The Bass Preset Collection Project

Brian_Kellett

Greetings, bassists!

With several prominent bass players now using the Axe-FxII, we are embarking on a quest to assemble a collection of bass presets, with the ultimate goal of offering one full bank of 128 for download.
These presets would not only serve the conventional bass-playing community, but variants and extended range instruments such as 8/12 string basses and the Chapman Stick. Users of these instruments frequently use both guitar and bass amps simultaneously; an application perfectly suited to the Axe-FXII. Many 4/5/6 stringers also use similar configurations.

If you have presets you’d like to be included in this first “official" bank, please submit them to Axe-Change and post a link to them in this thread. All submissions will be evaluated and considered for use.
We will also be developing presets through our conventional methods, and possibly with the assistance and cooperation of noted artists.

All presets will be suitable for direct recording.

For live use, our existing cadre of guitarists FRFR amps and cabinets may not always be sufficient for bass. There are two systems likely preferred by bassists using an Axe-FXII:
  • A new FRFR bass cabinet, comprised of a woofer, a mid-bass driver, and a tweeter horn. Several manufacturers already have these products available. By all means, share your experiences with us.
  • Users who will want to use their Axe-FXII with a solid-state amp and their existing bass cabinets. Again, if you have experience with these applications, we’d love to hear about it.

All suggestions are welcome! :encouragement:

Holy Bass Sh!tballs !!

Greetings, bassists!

With several prominent bass players now using the Axe-FxII, we are embarking on a quest to assemble a collection of bass presets, with the ultimate goal of offering one full bank of 128 for download.
These presets would not only serve the conventional bass-playing community, but variants and extended range instruments such as 8/12 string basses and the Chapman Stick. Users of these instruments frequently use both guitar and bass amps simultaneously; an application perfectly suited to the Axe-FXII. Many 4/5/6 stringers also use similar configurations.

If you have presets you’d like to be included in this first “official" bank, please submit them to Axe-Change and post a link to them in this thread. All submissions will be evaluated and considered for use.
We will also be developing presets through our conventional methods, and possibly with the assistance and cooperation of noted artists.

All presets will be suitable for direct recording.

For live use, our existing cadre of guitarists FRFR amps and cabinets may not always be sufficient for bass. There are two systems likely preferred by bassists using an Axe-FXII:
  • A new FRFR bass cabinet, comprised of a woofer, a mid-bass driver, and a tweeter horn. Several manufacturers already have these products available. By all means, share your experiences with us.
  • Users who will want to use their Axe-FXII with a solid-state amp and their existing bass cabinets. Again, if you have experience with these applications, we’d love to hear about it.

All suggestions are welcome! :encouragement:

This is great news! So glad to see some interest directed at bassists around here, and I'm looking forward to contributing in whatever context I may. I've been using the AFXII and Ultra for a while now, and in many different contexts, utilizing both FR (FR) and traditional cabinet (with SS power amp - cab sims disabled) stage rigs, and running direct to FOH on various sized PA systems.

Is there an official list of notable bassists using the AxeFx? :tears_of_joy: :biggrin-new:

I don't like the idea of throwing good money at the Axe-FX 2 just to make the bass guitar sound tolerable.

I don't like the idea of throwing good money at the Axe-FX 2 just to make the bass guitar sound tolerable.

thank you for the wet blanket on the thread. Really? are you that uptight about this? why? Btw, I think some would argue your point about bass sounds thru the AxeFx being only tolerable, and they have better creds than both of us put together.

...now...staying on topic? pretty please?

[edit: I think I misread your intent. Apologies, if so, and I'd be happy to edit out my comments. Are you saying that the Axefx SHOULD have more bass stuff and be made to sound better, and with less effort? if so, then I agree 100%]

Last edited:
Love it! I'm looking forward to bass getting some more attention and increased collaboration.

btw - Welcome to the forum Brian!

thank you for the wet blanket on the thread. Really? are you that uptight about this? why? Btw, I think some would argue your point about bass sounds thru the AxeFx being only tolerable, and they have better creds than both of us put together.

...now...staying on topic? pretty please?

[edit: I think I misread your intent. Apologies, if so, and I'd be happy to edit out my comments. Are you saying that the Axefx SHOULD have more bass stuff and be made to sound better, and with less effort? if so, then I agree 100%]

From the first post.

Forgive me, Longhair, for not making the connections here - me and my feeble brain. :stupid: So I guess you're wondering about FRFR cabinets that work well for bass with the AxeFx, correct? So, what are your experiences, thoughts, challenges, etc.?

I'll elaborate: My use of the word "new" in that statement may be what threw you. Sorry about that. We're not getting into the cabinet building business.

What I meant was that a typical FRFR guitar cab has a low-frequency roll-off starting around 60 or 70hz. This might not be sufficient for the low B string of a bass, with a fundamental at around 31hz. Obviously, there are a number of manufacturers building "full-range" cabinets with bass in mind. For strictly traditional tones, FRFR might not be necessary in a bass design - just hook up your 4x10 or 1x15 and go. With lots of slap/wah/distortion, some better midrange and high end will help. We'd like to know what works well for players in a live setting. Listening and learning is a big part of our development process. That's where you guys come in!

As a bass player and a Novax Charlie Hunter 8 string owner (heh, still can't play it), I look forward to what gets collected!

Brian, nice chatting with you this morning. I'm looking forward to hearing these presets, and with any luck, maybe I can suggest one myself! The bass is a beautiful traditionally clean sounding instrument....Its time to dirty it up! Guitar players used to have all the fun: Line6 POD for guitar was waaaay cooler than the "bass"pod... boring. This creates an even playing field and about time! Thanks again guys for acknowledging us bass players, and actually writing sounds for us!!

Brian, nice chatting with you this morning. I'm looking forward to hearing these presets, and with any luck, maybe I can suggest one myself! The bass is a beautiful traditionally clean sounding instrument....Its time to dirty it up! Guitar players used to have all the fun: Line6 POD for guitar was waaaay cooler than the "bass"pod... boring. This creates an even playing field and about time! Thanks again guys for acknowledging us bass players, and actually writing sounds for us!!

Welcome to the forum, Sean. Agreed!

I've finally got a friday night off and the plan is for me to spend some time with the AxeFxII, creating some presets and audio clips to share on this thread (at least that's the plan...we'll see how far it gets! LOL). I'm a big fan of all types of bass sounds, from the snappy cleans, to the dirtiest.

I don't think enough players understand how dirty recorded bass tracks are, especially for any style of rock/hard rock/metal...and sometimes even pop and country can benefit from some blatand OD grind on a track. It sort of disappears in the context of a full band mix. Here's an example of an STP tune that many people wouldn't associate as being particularly "dirty" bass:

Hey seeoftheday, is it possible to post all of the presets you've developed as a sound file like you did here? Would be quicker to listen to it before taking the time to download into my Axe to hear it.

Cheers,
Paul

hehe,are you lazy ? :)

I did a recording. With Your bass it might sound different
Might be cool to check them out.
As i used a jazz and a humbuker

hehe,are you lazy ? :)

I did a recording. With Your bass it might sound different
Might be cool to check them out.
As i used a jazz and a humbuker

I did load one of your presets and it sounded GREAT! I am just trying to shortcut to the ones I like best :mrgreen. I'm playing a Michael Tobias 6 string with Bartolini's. The other patch I tried mapped well.

Back
Top Bottom