The Axe can't do this... ... ... yet...

Amphibian

Both the filter and wah algorithms falls short, me thinks. Ever since I purchased the Axe I wanted it to be able to replicate this type of envelope filter sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dzgHFz-XoQ

So far it only get's you in the ballpark, but not all the way...

Cliff, can you dedicate some of your time to extending the values of the filter/wah algorithms.

:mrgreen: Yours truly // Kermit

Amphibian said:
Both the filter and wah algorithms falls short, me thinks. Ever since I purchased the Axe I wanted it to be able to replicate this type of envelope filter sound:

Cliff, can you dedicate some of your time to extending the values of the filter/wah algorithms.

Really? sounds easily attainable with the current controls.

AlbertA said:
Amphibian said:

Really? sounds easily attainable with the current controls.

+1

I too have been searching for this with the Filter/Wah combination and I am sure it is user error on my part but I have not been able to find the sweet spot. On my old GT5 there is a sensitivity control that allows you to adjust whether the Wah will sweep completely through the wah effect depending on how hard you pick the note. A soft attack plays under the sweep and a hard attack completes the wah effect giving you control over when the sweep completes it's full range.
I have only been able to adjust the intensity,delay or length of the sweep using the filter but the wah always completes the effect sweep in the end.
To bypass the need to insert a filter would it be possible to add a very basic sensitivity control to the wah block for this type of Touch- Wah effect?

The wah block is not where this is adjusted. You want to play with the gain and threshold parameters in the envelope filter filter setup screen. Hit the Control button to see all the controller configuration pages. Including one for the envelope filter. There's a handy meter there so you can see how changing parameters change the envelope controller response curve and output values.

Amphibian said:

What part are you talking about. I have a robotalk 2 (it forgoes the sample n hold for 2 filters). what are you looking for?

Hey guys... Don't get me wrong - it's fine, but something's missing... I've gotten the best results with the BANDSWEEP, Q set to 9.5. Then I fiddle with the FQ, controlled with the ENVELOPE. I'm kind of missing the bite though... Maybe you guys can show me how it's done?! Preset, sound clip or description? Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken that's the guitar player fom the American Idol band... If so, that's one freaking hell of a guitar player... I'm always waiting for him to make a mistake but he's always flawless.

Amphibian said:
Hey guys... Don't get me wrong - it's fine, but something's missing... I've gotten the best results with the BANDSWEEP, Q set to 9.5. Then I fiddle with the FQ, controlled with the ENVELOPE. I'm kind of missing the bite though... Maybe you guys can show me how it's done?! Preset, sound clip or description? Thanks!

What settings on the robotalk are you going for? If you want a steeper filter you can run 2 with the same settings in series

mortega76 said:
If I'm not mistaken that's the guitar player fom the American Idol band... If so, that's one freaking hell of a guitar player... I'm always waiting for him to make a mistake but he's always flawless.

That's Paul Jackson Jr, and yes he's a huge player in the industry. Excellent player and also a very good person.

Dan the Axe Man said:
That's Paul Jackson Jr, and yes he's a huge player in the industry. Excellent player and also a very good person.

I know Paul as well - He's a great studio player and you won't meet a nicer, more humble guy (fellow believer as well)

Paul is a totally universally well regarded pro. He's the American Idol guitarist. His discography reads like a who's who list of A-Level artists.

Note on the Artists page for Xotic (the company and pedals Paul's demoing in the video) who's among the rest... (*hint... me... with hair!) http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/

Woot: I used to play the RC/AC/BB and Robotalk. Good pedals, good company.

mortega76 said:

i KNEW i recognised him from somewhere! Great player

Just being honest, but I always thought that guy's guitar tone on American Idol was horrible.

javajunkie said:
Amphibian said:

What settings on the robotalk are you going for? If you want a steeper filter you can run 2 with the same settings in series

Hey Java! I gave this dual filter setup a whirl after reading your comment and :eek: it bloody worked!!! :lol: :D I guess I needed to push the Q a tad bit further... Thnx brotha!!!

Lionheart said:
Just being honest, but I always thought that guy's guitar tone on American Idol was horrible.

You can't go by what you hear from a live recorded TV show. The guy probably knows tone and can sound really nice live. But, you have to conider other things: Who's throwing the mic in front of his rig? Where are they placing the mic(s)? How many mics are being used? Who's mixing the band for television?

Also, the guy is trying to cover like every style of music known to man in 1 hour-long program. He's probably using a "real" amp and pedalboard and is limited by the tone of his rig of choice. So, his tone sounds great on some songs and totally wrong on others. Actually, an AXE FX would be PREFECT for a guy and gig like that. Cliff or someone at Fractal needs to send that dude a free one and ahve him try it out.

browlett said:
Lionheart said:

You can't go by what you hear from a live recorded TV show. The guy probably knows tone and can sound really nice live. But, you have to conider other things: Who's throwing the mic in front of his rig? Where are they placing the mic(s)? How many mics are being used? Who's mixing the band for television?

Also, the guy is trying to cover like every style of music known to man in 1 hour-long program. He's probably using a "real" amp and pedalboard and is limited by the tone of his rig of choice. So, his tone sounds great on some songs and totally wrong on others. Actually, an AXE FX would be PREFECT for a guy and gig like that. Cliff or someone at Fractal needs to send that dude a free one and ahve him try it out.

I've seen some of his videos with Xotic and he had good tone, but on American Idol it sounds horrible. I think his tone sounds terrible in general, on every song. I'm sure it's the sound engineer's fault, but I always cringe when they have the guitar brought up in the mix where I can hear it.

Back
Top Bottom