Temple Audio / FM9 Build Project

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Yup, wasn't satisfied with my Duo 34 / EV-1 / 2 LoveMySwitches NO Momentary External Switches / FM9.

I realized that for acoustic presets, I'd need a separate tuner which would provide various sweetened tuning presets. Ordered/received a Peterson StroboStomp HD tuner. My electric guitars already use the FM9's global tuner offsets, so it wasn't possible to use the FM9 offsets for both electric and acoustic applications.

Problem now exists how to power both the StroboStomp and the FM9 from a power source. I've opted against placing a standard surge strip because of space constraints under the Duo 34, and instead, am utilizing 1) a homebuilt AC/EIC circuit box (still not built yet) or 2) a Vertex Pedalboard Power Supply.

The Vertex is being shipped and might fit on the left side of the Duo 34, where the Vertex the 2 AC mains face inwards, and the EIC connection will face outwards where it will connect to a standard AC/EIC power cable. The tuner will connect via standard AC CTN power adapter, and the FM9 via AC/EIC 1 or 2 foot 15 amp cable. The Vertex will be secured via metal screws that are part of the Vertex. We might try swapping out the metal screws for something slightly longer in case the screws might not hold tight when drilled/attached to the Duo 34.

If the Vertex might not fit, my guitar tech buddy and I will build a EIC/AC circuit box from an aluminum enclosure purchased from LoveMySwitches.

The EIC/AC circuit box will connect to a Temple Audio Power Module (also ordered, just in case) and the circuit box's 2 AC mains will provide power to the tuner adapter and FM9. We'll attach the circuit box via zip ties and drilled aluminum enclosure.

I've got a couple enclosures on order in case one might be too big for the undercarriage. The tricky part may be fitting the tuner adapter next to the AC/EIC cable, on a standard rectangular dual AC outlet.

The good news is, the Vertex provides plenty of space for power connections. The downside will be making sure the Vertex can fit snug towards the front upper left side of the Duo 34's pop-out XLR/AC module panels.

Will post images as the project takes shape, hopefully this weekend. (Just spoke with my guitar tech friend, he tentatively says he'll schedule a slot for the build)

Last edited:
Cool. Hopefully one of your solutions works perfectly for you. If not, here is some more food for thought.

I have used this under pedalboards with good success:
Belkin SurgePlus USB Swivel Surge... Amazon product ASIN B00ATZJ5YS
Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 is good too; it has a courtesy outlet.

@bleujazz3 - you said "EIC" a lot. I assume you're referring to "IEC" connectors?

Yeah, amazon's search engine pulls up more responses with EIC than IEC. I've heard it used both ways. I'm guessing it means integrated electric circuit.

Cool. Hopefully one of your solutions works perfectly for you. If not, here is some more food for thought.

The reason I chose the Vertex is that I only need 2 AC mains with an IEC connection that will reside to the left of the board and will be accessible via the board's pop-out panel. The 2 AC mains will be underneath the board on the inside left.

The Belkin might be useful for connecting to a standard extension cord, but I've got a good-sized AC / IEC extension cable that will do just fine with the Vertex or the circuit box. The VL2 is a tad expensive for my needs. Just need the 2 AC mains and an IEC conection. The Vertex shipped was $39.99. I got lucky with my search because Vertex was sold out and I put in a request with a message on Reverb, and the owner found an extra.

I'd thought that if the Vertex might not fit correctly, my tech buddy would build a circuit box from an effects pedal aluminum enclosure.

We don't have all the materials yet, but expect them to arrive by this Saturday 03/26. Will provide details as the project takes shape.

So it's a standard based on a Electrotechnical Commission? I guess then I've a got a standard computer cable connection, the same that FAS uses to connect their devices to AC power...
Exactly... They are standard cables / connectors used for computers, TVs and many other devices.

My tech buddy just messaged me with a pic of male recessed IEC and individual 120V 15A AC jacks. Things are beginning to gel...

I'm watching this one closely. My Duo 34 gets here tomorrow, and I just scored a used EV-1. I definitely want to use remote plugs on the sides of the Duo 34 to keep the FM9 safe from wear and tear on the plugs. I've never did this before.

That looks handy. I have these little 3-prong piggyback male/female pluggies with a female 3-pronger on a 6" wire that sticks out the side, which I found at Home Depot in the extension cords area. Don't know if I'd use them with extenstion cords, but they work ok under the pedalboard to split off the power in/out line between the Powercon plugs on either end. This thingie looks like it would maybe be a bit easier to work with, since it has the couple of USBs I need for the under-board lighting already built in, and gives me a few pluggies where the OneSpot powering my ExpressionIO MIDI controller/switch box might fit nicely. Less pieces to find a place for and anchor....

I'm watching this one closely. My Duo 34 gets here tomorrow, and I just scored a used EV-1. I definitely want to use remote plugs on the sides of the Duo 34 to keep the FM9 safe from wear and tear on the plugs. I've never did this before.
Sweetwater has the Temple Audio Power Module you'll need. About $50. The module has an IEC connector that you can access from the upper left or right corners of the Duo 34. Simple process (takes a little effort to disconnect the handles & side panel, then screw in the tiny screws to secure the module), but you'll be fine.

The cable connects with a female IEC plug that needs a power supply; either a power brick that has a 120V 15A AC mains out, or supply that has both a IEC connection and at least one AC 120V 15A connection.

TBH, it's like the 2 outlets you've got outside your patio door. Those are GFI circuits, which you don't need in this instance. @Deadpool_25 provided an idea how you could connect a small outlet connector and use a standard extension cord to provide power and use the AC outlets to power your FM9, and any wall warts you might need.

My hope is to use an IEC/AC power supply and attach the supply to the board itself, but after reviewing this, we may need to build a circuit box, wire it with an IEC connector and 2 individual AC outlets. What will determine either scenario is how tall the circuit boxes are (will they clear the floor under the board?) or if the circuit box can be machined to accept all 3 connectors.

It does seem like a comedy of errors with a bag of tricks added in. You never know. Hoping life won't be difficult that day, and my friend has a good day when I visit.

Last edited:
Good luck Blue! I like simple efficient solutions. Hopefully ones that aren't too expensive. Lord knows this FM9 purchase was a huge plunge for me, but I believe it was in the right direction. My goal is to have something together, including importing IRs, by April 3rd(church).

Good luck Blue! I like simple efficient solutions. Hopefully ones that aren't too expensive. Lord knows this FM9 purchase was a huge plunge for me, but I believe it was in the right direction. My goal is to have something together, including importing IRs, by April 3rd(church).

If needs be, check out LoveMySwitches and try to find the 1590BBS or 1590C aluminum enclosures if you have the ability to machine these and build a circuit box as a undercarriage power supply. Am currently awaiting my Vertex, 2' IEC/AC and 3' Rt > TS cables' arrival.

Either of the LMS enclosures will fit underneath the Duo 34 (positioned and sized correctly) and may be my solution if the Vertex Power Supply might not fit. Am thinking that t might be more wise to build a circuit box than try position my Vertex, which might prove difficult attaching to the side of the Duo 34.

Might need an electrician to inspect the work once completed so as to avoid home inspector issues if the circuit box were not built up to code. Have got a friend who is a licensed handyman who can inspect the work. Will contact him before we begin the build.

If needs be, check out LoveMySwitches and try to find the 1590BBS or 1590C aluminum enclosures if you have the ability to machine these and build a circuit box as a undercarriage power supply. Am currently awaiting my Vertex, 2' IEC/AC and 3' Rt > TS cables' arrival.

Either of the LMS enclosures will fit underneath the Duo 34 (positioned and sized correctly) and may be my solution if the Vertex Power Supply might not fit. Am thinking that t might be more wise to build a circuit box than try position my Vertex, which might prove difficult attaching to the side of the Duo 34...
Did some early inspection of build materials and items that arrived earlier today.

Turns out, the 1590C enclosure will NOT sit under the TA Duo 34 carriage without causing some instability. So, from a previous purchase, and a recent one, I've got 2 LoveMySwitches enclosures (1590BB & 1590BBS CNC Pro Aluminum) that WILL fit under the carriage, but with a little angled extending outwards towards the guitarist's side of the board. The Duo 34's rubber feet sit just high enough to provide clearance under the board for both 1590BB & 1590BBS enclosures.

The Vertex Power Module is a tad too tall to fit under the carriage and against the outer panel wall without routing the board itself. Routing the side panel might cause some additional hazards, so we'll just not utilize a Vertex Power Module.

It was necessary to re-position my expression pedal closer to the FM9, in order to provide adequate horizontal space for the incoming enclosure and cable connections. The circuit box we'll build will attach to a Temple Audio Power Module, that just clears my upper external switch undercarriage connection.

I've not yet completed all of the logistics of positioning the necessary electronics, nor mapped out how the circuit box will be constructed. My buddy and I will likely sit down over lunch and discuss what we need to do before heading out to his workshop. We'll likely perform some least invasive surgery on the Duo 34 prior to the circuit box build, and disconnect one of the side panels so attaching the TA Power Module won't be as difficult.

In all likelihood, my buddy will CNC the circuit box and make connections, while I work with the Duo 34 board and attach the Power Module. That will save us time and prevent me from doing the kitchen sink plumber kibitzing I'd otherwise do. Yeah, don't wish to ruffle my buddy's feathers too much. He'll be paid by my donating some electronics parts, a Korg tuner and a nice tooled-leather guitar strap. About $175 worth of stuff, but his parts and labor will be worth their weight in gold if this project comes to fruition correctly.

The upside portion of the board will also need to be routed to accommodate at least 2 cables, one that an IEC plug must pass through. That may one of the last items we work with, once TA Power Module and circuit box are installed. The last thing to go on will be the StroboStomp HD attached by StageTrix velcro adhesives. Once all is complete, we'll check continuity once more and power up the FM9 and Strobostomp. Thinking we'll finish before dinnertime or briefly thereafter.

I'm really interested in your Strobostomp setup for adding an acoustic guitar! That'd be sooo handy to have my acoustic and electric ready to go for both church or a gig!!! Please post pics too, if you can!

I'm really interested in your Strobostomp setup for adding an acoustic guitar! That'd be sooo handy to have my acoustic and electric ready to go for both church or a gig!!! Please post pics too, if you can!
Will do. Took some pics of the build in progress, just need to perform a little wiring modification before my rig is complete. Will do that and post pics once done, but pics may need to wait until Sunday...

1950BBS CNC Pro Aluminum Enclosure:
iCxRWDO.jpg

Access Hole to Be Widened:
vMPVEFf.jpg

Temple Audio Power Module Installed:
7Vag7NA.jpg

Widened Access Hole for IEC Plug:
DHKQ2DP.jpg

Drilled 1950BBS Enclosure to Be Filed Down to Accept AC & IEC Jacks:
RVU8l8r.jpg

Drilling Process:
FhmEZ73.jpg