Teeth of the Hydra

would take a lot of practice to just remember where all of the necks, switching and gadgets were.

Saw that yesterday... I was already l liking the song but realizing he was playing all those parts is a whole other level!
I want to believe he can do it live. And if anyone could do it live, it's Vai. But that video has got to be mimed.

Impressive, still. But I can't believe this video is a live performance of the track.

Last edited:
I want to believe he can do it live. And if anyone could it live, it's Vai. But that video has got to be mimed.

Impressive, still. But I can't believe this video is a live performance of the track.
I was also assuming that... The pick scrapes seemed to not match the audio.

Plus there appeared to be only a single guitar cable and the different necks all have different tones...

Possible there are wireless units involved but as with many videos I'm sure it probably was not a live track.

Looking forward to seeing if he tries to perform this at Vai Academy this summer.

A few years back in a conversation with a friend\fellow guitar player, we wondered what could possibly be next for Vai. By that I mean, he is just so much one with the guitar. Guess this is one thing. I do not play any of his music, all are not super hard. There some for mortals like myself.
I just always enjoyed just watching\listening to him play.......

Very cool - reminiscent of the Manzer Picasso guitar that Pat Metheny plays, but taken to a completely different place through Steve Vai. Frankenstrat indeed.

Yes, standard music video approach w/ studio audio but the Hydra output is multichannel from one Ethercon jack:

1:22

That explains it...

The other interesting thing I noted is no guitar strap and the guitar seemed to "pivot" when moving. I'm thinking it uses some sort of belt or waist mounting bracket. You can kind of see Steve lift it before setting it down (at the end of the performance video).

That explains it...

The other interesting thing I noted is no guitar strap and the guitar seemed to "pivot" when moving. I'm thinking it uses some sort of belt or waist mounting bracket. You can kind of see Steve lift it before setting it down (at the end of the performance video).
He mentioned in an interview it requires a rig to suspend it because of size and weight.

Back
Top Bottom