Techniques to decrease general high gain noise?

MichiganboySB said:
Try it out for yourself, disconnect all connections from a high gain amp block. Turn the gain up as loud as you want. No noise from the amp block.
As in disconnect my guitar cable and then try it?
MB

Just break one of the matrix links, or just add a volume block before and turn it all the way down.

I'm prolly not fully getting you Java but when I disconnect my guitar cable and have just one amp block with the drive fairly loud. (this is a high gain amp btw)... its hissing quite a bit unless, of course, I turn the gate up.
MB

Of course it's hissing. So would a real amp, and it would a lot more. You guys need to do some research on Johnson noise and stop this nonsense.

MichiganboySB said:
I'm prolly not fully getting you Java but when I disconnect my guitar cable and have just one amp block with the drive fairly loud. (this is a high gain amp btw)... its hissing quite a bit unless, of course, I turn the gate up.
MB

The noise gate proves the point I was trying to make. The noise gate cuts the signal before the amp so as you have noted the amp block itself does not create any noise. The analog components will cause a small amount of noise that get amplified, but it is small. Plus Cliff even gets it quieter with his analog processing on the front. Also, If you have it turned way up I assume your amplifying it, that has it's own noise. My comment was on the amp block only, nothing else.

FractalAudio said:
Of course it's hissing. So would a real amp, and it would a lot more. You guys need to do some research on Johnson noise and stop this nonsense.

My point was the the amp block doesn't seem to be subject to Johnson noise, at least while there is no input unlike a real amp which will hiss w/o a signal.

One simple solution I have found is a Variax 700 guitar. The is no audible noise at all, at any amount of gain. The only problem is the lack of the last two frets, and not being able to tell if you have things turned up to ear-bleeding levels. I was playing through a pair of JBL PRX 535s last week and almost caused my self some hearing damage when I picked up the Variax and hit a chord. It takes a little getting used to no noise at all. In the studio its worth its weight in gold. If you are going to go with modeling you might as well go all the way. An unbeatable combination IMHO.

Just askin questions Cliff trying to understand various things thats it, you still da man. I don't know shit from shinola with alot of this tech but I SURE KNOW HOW TO ROCK N ROLL! :mrgreen: btw thankyou very much for repairing my blown outputs how much do I owe you?
MB

Radley said:
I typically use a Parametric just before the Amp block, boosting a lot around 400 to 700z with a very wide bell curve (Q) - this provides a lot of extra 'push' for hi gain sounds which means you can run the Amp's gain setting lower and achieve less electronic & digital noise, especially if you also pull back the upper highs with the Para or a Filter (pre-EQ). I always have plenty of highs in spite of it, but substantially less noise. ;)

~Radster~
Sounds great but I'm not very good at dialling in PEQs. What's a bell curve and how do I achieve it? Do I turn the Q up? Any chance you have a patch to share that I could examine, or a graphic to show the settings?

High-gain amps always have input frequency shaping and the Axe-Fx models include this.

You can't beat the laws of physics. A typical guitar has a S/N ratio on the order of 100 dB. If you then apply 80 dB of gain via distortion you've reduced that S/N ratio to 20 dB which is quite audible. Turn the gain down. Learn to use less gain. You'd be surprised at how little gain most pros use.

I don't know what's wrong with all of you, but I don't have any Johnson noise. Maybe a trip to the doctor's office is in order for you?

I've been meaning to post a topic on this, but figured I'd put in here.
I have a severe problem in that I am picking up french radio when I use any medium to high gain presets.
(eg Brown Sound - Hells Bells to more extreme SLOs)
It's no joke - even if it is Spinal Tap-esque. :shock:

my set-up is as follows
various Les Pauls > monster studio cable > Axe-fx > lineout > Firebox > PC > LCD monitor

I've tried different guitars (one with EMGs), different cables(all extremelly high quality monster cables), s-pdif
Still It's very audible. I can use a gate but you still here it in there when I play. It's so annoying !!!

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?
Bad wiring in my flat ?

I don't have any crt tv's running, no flourescent lights
I am based in the UK btw

I just want to clarify I was in no way pointing any fingers at the amp modelling or any of the axe technology I realize it's not a flaw, but i have noise so I'm trying to fix it :) .

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions I'll give them all a shot.

Cliff, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on where the gain is applied in the chain, does it matter in regards to increasing/decreasing noise at all or is it all the same beast? For example - amp boost switch, amp gain knob, EQ boost somewhere in-between. Just curious if there are some methods/tricks that are better then others? I feel like I might be spinning the bowl to mix the batter, when i should be stirring the spoon lol ;)

eoinlandy said:
I have a severe problem in that I am picking up french radio when I use any medium to high gain presets.

my set-up is as follows
various Les Pauls > monster studio cable > Axe-fx > lineout > Firebox > PC > LCD monitor

I've tried different guitars (one with EMGs), different cables(all extremelly high quality monster cables), s-pdif
Still It's very audible. I can use a gate but you still here it in there when I play. It's so annoying !!!

Bad wiring in my flat ?

I am based in the UK btw
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not surprised ! In one of the London flats I lived in, I picked up the motornoise of buses. Any technician I spoke to said that this should be impossible, but once they heard it they believed me. Right outside my flat was a busstop and everytime they stopped and started the motor transmitted a very obvious disturbing noise.

Only way to solve that for me was move. If anyone tells you that wiring in the UK is good must be joking. I've lived in plenty of different countries and the UK is the worst so far.

eoinlandy said:

my set-up is as follows

Bad wiring in my flat ?

I am based in the UK btw

are you using a Power Conditioner? I've been told by people and by the manufacturer that these will help eliminate radio interference

Furman is a reputable brand: http://www.furmansound.com

I've used them for years, but I've never had any issues like this, but maybe that's because I've been using them for years lol. ;)

Thanks for the reply, yep I live in London. In a flat that's just been rewired, after the orginal wiring caused half the flat to burn down.
Come to think of it there is also a cab firm across the road.

I could try different power outlets throughout the flat.
This is so disheartening, I guess it'll be only clean tones for me. I've just signed a year's lease :cry:

eoinlandy said:
Thanks for the reply, yep I live in London. In a flat that's just been rewired, after the orginal wiring caused half the flat to burn down.
Come to think of it there is also a cab firm across the road.

I could try different power outlets throughout the flat.
This is so disheartening, I guess it'll be only clean tones for me. I've just signed a year's lease :cry:
I had a technician once check the wiring in another London flat I lived in after a number of fuses blew. Now, I'm a musician and not by any means a technician, but what that guy did I could have done blindfolded. The solving of the fuse-blowing-problem looked this way: take copperwire, wrap it around the fuse, put it back in ... won't ever blow again :lol: . If I had more time on my hands I would have reported that idiot :D . Wiring in the UK is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who says any different is just saying so out of wrong 'UK pride' reasons.

Back
Top Bottom