TC2290 vs AXE FX Delay

Very close, although I don't know which is which. On the second part the feedback (1. delay) seems louder....to my ears but what does a 46 year old guitarist still hear.....

Obvious, sadly - It's not just that the feedback is more present in the latter, the former is just plain warmer, creamier. Dunno why - but it is. I still like the verbs and delays on my PCM-70 more than those on the AXE too. I don't use 'em much because I use the PCM-70 for more radical stuff most of the time (their fantastic flanged-multitapped 'psycho echoes' patch particularly). If there were 2 independently controllable fx loops, I'd probably never use the Axe's delays, I'd just throw another (heavy and fragile) PCM-70, or a 2290 in the rack. It is odd that this old digital gear sounds warmer to me - I presume it's not the conversion technology - it could be the preamp in the input section, or it could be Lexicon's (and TC's) proprietary algorithms, but I wish Cliff would suddenly become obsessed with MIMICing effects (he probably will, someday), and we could get all the ultra-creamy goodness of m PCM-70 into my Axe II.

I bounced back and forth between the two and that difference is so slight it's to the point of why bother. If you want to really split hairs then roll the high cut back a few more kz.

were these the default 2290 settings on the Axe ? Java did some very convincing presets not too long ago which were super close to the real thing as well...

I kind of thought the first was the TC 2290 as well, but it was pretty well a guess. The delays in the Axe are awesome, and I play a lot of U2 stuff. Let's just put it this way, 99% of people can't tell that its not a TC2290 or whatever, especially in a mix. Thanks though for showing us this.

Thanks guys,
As mentioned before : delay settings are default TC2290 w/mod ...only put it on STEREO..500ms and 100% mix.......and for me no need even to get more closer....it is GREAT just the way Cliff made it.....:)

To my ears, the delays in the second version sound significantly louder than those in the first, so it's hard to compare other aspects of the two fairly.

These topics remind me of of a wine tasting forum.
I found that the second echo had hints of oak, while the first was more fruit forward.

I can't imagine not being able to dial in the Axe-Fx delay such that the full meaning and spirit of any piece of music originally created with a 2290 aren't rendered completely intact. This has been my experience working with some of the world's most discriminating delay connoisseurs.

Sniff Sniff... :lol I may not be fanatic of delays but I have an ear and know what sounds good and the Axe can bring it :encouragement:.

I prefer my delays from the south side of the valley where they bask in the golden sun longer and it translates to a feeling of total relaxation .... then I spit them in a bucket.

Very close - the taper of the decay is slightly different and the first seems to have a bit more high end roll off on the repeats. I'm sure you could get even closer with a bit more tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom