Tapatalk Popup Discussion

My browser works fine with the web version of this forum. I see no reason whatsoever to install an app I won't be using anywhere else, let alone pay money for it.

There have been some recent updates to the Tapatalk application that have ruined the classic look and feel of the app. I've had to go back to using the Pro version as the updated one is unusable. Don't be surprised if it's the "updates" to the Tapatalk app rather than anything to do with the forum.

Cliff, but you do, you just probably don't know it. iOS Safari does not inject any ads anywhere, that I'm reasonably certain of.

Every now and then the access to this forum is blocked by an interstitial ad for Tapatalk, which I do not use. It has an "X" to close it in the corner, but that X is nearly impossible to hit. They probably make a single pixel in the middle of it clickable, so that users can't dismiss the ad easily. Same thing happens when I come here using Chrome from my Android tablet, except there it shows pop-up dialogs.

I'm sure it's just some little setting somewhere in the config file and you guys could easily disable it.

Cliff, but you do, you just probably don't know it. iOS Safari does not inject any ads anywhere, that I'm reasonably certain of.

Every now and then the access to this forum is blocked by an interstitial ad for Tapatalk, which I do not use. It has an "X" to close it in the corner, but that X is nearly impossible to hit. They probably make a single pixel in the middle of it clickable, so that users can't dismiss the ad easily. Same thing happens when I come here using Chrome from my Android tablet, except there it shows pop-up dialogs.

I'm sure it's just some little setting somewhere in the config file and you guys could easily disable it.

If you are receiving ads, they are not coming from the FAS forums site.
You may be receiving ads injected via your internet provider, review..
My ISP is injecting ads into my internet related programs (including steam), how can I fight this? : technology
Comcast's open Wi-Fi hotspots inject ads into your browser | PCWorld
Comcast, Bright House Using Javascript Ad Injection Via Wi-Fi | DSLReports, ISP Information

Free versions of your iOS and Android application may be injecting ads.. Review...
https://www.google.com/search?q=tapatalk+injecting+ads&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

To help stop this, use https://www.eff.org/Https-everywhere with your favorite supported web browser..
For Safari users, Check out.. ForceHTTPS Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net

Unfortunately, the FAS forums site does not currently provide HTTPS support.
It would be very helpful to the end users if HTTPS was enabled, but it would also require additional
processor power from the current web/app server(s).

If you are receiving ads via a web browser, it's probably the free wi-fi your using or your internet provider. Check with them.

No tapatalk is injecting the ads through the forum api. Any forum on the mobile browser I go that uses the same system I get one popup asking to install tapatalk and then when I select no, I get a tapatalk splash screen asking to try it. I then have to press the x on that screen to get to the forum. Pretty annoying. This is on fractal, recordinreview and many others. I do use tapatalk already so no sense on showing me those ads when I have it. I'm on android. Ill post screenshots

Update: accessing forum.fractalaudio.com on android, in order of appearance, one right after the other:
1.jpg
press cancel
2.jpg
press the x
3.jpg
finally here! oh! another ad from Tapatalk...

Last edited:
Tapatalk is now disabled for this forum. I did this once before and there was much moaning but this was the last straw.

Those of you on mobile devices who want to use an app, please change to ForumRunner. I find it better anyway.

Tapatalk is now disabled for this forum. I did this once before and there was much moaning but this was the last straw.

Those of you on mobile devices who want to use an app, please change to ForumRunner. I find it better anyway.

Yea! ForumRunner FTW!

With all due respect, it is a bad idea to remove mobile browsing options for forum users. Accessibility should be key. Forum Runner has not been updated in nearly two years, and telling everyone to use that Is kind of like saying everyone has to use Internet Explorer. Tapatalk and the Tapatalk forum API are far more prevalent. I'm not a particular fan of Tapatalk, and the latest Tapatalk release was a trainwreck, but removing support is not the way to go.

Regardless, this is your forum - do as you will. But I still say this is a bad idea.

But, but... I'm reading this on Tapatalk right now, so I'm confused (maybe it's cached?).

If I use safari on my iPhone, I see:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422332695.955309.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably hitting some Tapatalk specific URL. Just edit the address bar to get to the proper forum.

With all due respect, it is a bad idea to remove mobile browsing options for forum users. Accessibility should be key. Forum Runner has not been updated in nearly two years, and telling everyone to use that Is kind of like saying everyone has to use Internet Explorer. Tapatalk and the Tapatalk forum API are far more prevalent. I'm not a particular fan of Tapatalk, and the latest Tapatalk release was a trainwreck, but removing support is not the way to go.

Regardless, this is your forum - do as you will. But I still say this is a bad idea.

I think he just disabled the initial pop-up for it. I doubt the app itself is disabled. I get the same pop-up on most vbulletin boards I've visited. I'm assuming it's something built in to the vbulletin code.

Effin' A Matty, thanks! I have "skipped" and "Do not ask me again" checkboxed a zillion times. Safari ob my iPad mini handles the forum just fine. Now if i could just get FB and ISPs to stop generating ads based on my browsing history. Feel dirty when i see ads based on something i just searched for...

I agree... BUT, I also know the annoyance of that stupid ad. In my case, I eventually caved and started using it - and I came to like it... until the most recent update :( As someone else mentioned already, the recent update really hosed up the user experience (IMO).

As someone said, Tapatalk is still working for me right now on this forum on my iPhone... but my iPad spit out an error about missing the plugin.

Kevin

Just checked TGP's Tapatalk options and the last setting was "Mobile Welcome Screen".
Tapatalk will show a one time welcoming screen to mobile users to download the free app, the screen will contain your forum logo and branding only, with a button to get the free app.
Disable that setting and I think you can re-enable the plugin with the desired behavior. The only potential gotcha is if that option doesn't exist on the VB 4.x version of the plugin. TGP is still on 3.x.

Back
Top Bottom