Tap Tempo Question

cemusic

Inspired
I am thinking that I must be misunderstanding something here.

In order to be able to alter a preset delay/trem/whatever time with tap tempo, you have to set up the preset delay/trem time be a 1/4 note or whatever denomination of global tempo? Doesn't global tempo change and stay changed every time you tap a new tempo? So your presets (with tap-able delay times) always sound different depending on what the current global tempo is?

This can't be right--what am I missing?

I could have sworn back in the Ultra days I could have a preset with a delay set to, say, 180ms, then hit a cc assigned to tap tempo and change the time to whatever I wanted, then it would revert to 180 when I reloaded the preset. No?

Depends on if its designated to go with Global Tempo or Preset Tempo (which is stored in each preset).

Tap Tempo can affect both Global and Preset tempo.

it's a bit hard to explain, but basically with things set to Global tempo, as you change from preset to preset, the Tempo won't change - so you can tap in 135 bpm for your delay in Preset 1, switch to Preset 2 and the tempo will still be 135, assuming all presets set to Global tempo.

the benefit of Preset tempo, is that when you switch a Preset, it will change to a specific tempo that's saved with the preset. from there, you can use Tap to change it.

it's all about the starting tempo of the particular preset. either "whatever you last tapped" (global) or "a specific tempo i want every time on this preset" (preset).

What Chris said. I use Preset tempo, which is close to the "standard" tempo... but since we don't use a click (and because I use the same preset for multiple songs) then I can just tap in the tempo I need. Also, our drummer will speed up or slow down (intentionally) during our jams, and this way I can keep up w/ it as well. And then when I come back to the preset later, it's at that standard tempo again.

Thanks for the reply, you are amazingly generous with your time and knowledge.

Tap Tempo can affect both Global and Preset tempo.

the benefit of Preset tempo, is that when you switch a Preset, it will change to a specific tempo that's saved with the preset. from there, you can use Tap to change it.

So yes, this is exactly what I want to do, have a delay time/tempo that is saved with the preset and can be changed with Tap Tempo. However in a the Tempo window of a delay block page, you have to either select 'none," in which case Tap doesn't seem to work, or select a note division (1/4, 1/8, etc) that only seems to be tied to Global Tempo. Is there a place on the page to enter a tempo?

Ah, well, now I see that in the Axe's panel window there is a 'tempo to use' and a tempo setting that doesn't seem to come up in Axe Edit. That will do it? It disappeared so fast with Axe Edit running I didn't really get a chance to see what was there.

Does that page come up in Axe Edit, or do you have to pause AE and do it on the front panel?

I could have sworn back in the Ultra days I could have a preset with a delay set to, say, 180ms, then hit a cc assigned to tap tempo and change the time to whatever I wanted, then it would revert to 180 when I reloaded the preset. No?
Nope.

If delay was tempo-based and tempo to use = preset, that's how it works. Maybe that's how you had it configured. (Ignore redundant PC would have to be off to reload preset/tempo without switching to another preset first.)

In AE click arrow to immediate right of BPM field for preset/global option.

So that brings up the page to select the note value, but not to select a base tempo for those note values. Is there a place to set the preset tempo on some AE page?

Click on the displayed tempo number. Change it. ;)

Thanks for attempting to help me--I'm sorry, I am clearly incredibly stupid.

When I click the arrows to the right of the tempo window which displays "None," I see a menu which allows me to choose from (01) "None" thru (79) "63/64," which are not tempos but note subdivisions as in 1/4 note, 1/8 note, etc. I see no window to enter a BPM tempo on that page. Then, if I select anything besides "None" on that page and back out to the Delay page again, there is only the window to the left which is "Time," and it is greyed out so there is no selecting anything there.

Shoot me, but I do not see any place to enter an actual BPM Tempo anywhere...

In AE click arrow to immediate right of BPM field for preset/global option.

Where is this: "BPM field for preset/global option"? I think this is what I am missing. Is it some Option/Shift thing? I thought I tried them all.

Running Mac OS

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom