Taming the Monster - Series and Parallel Routing

Thanks Scott, great video. I'm comfortable with these concepts and I use them all the time, but your examples and explanations were informative and educational for me nonetheless. GREAT work! Your videos are getting better and better, and they are an excellent complement to the manual, the wiki, and the forum.

yup, another good vid.

i'll add my tuppence, as well

one of the cool things you can do with parallel paths is use fx to effect other fx, but leave your dry signal intact. an example....say you put a delay in parallel at 100% wet. now no dry signal is passing through that effect, so if you put a flanger behind the delay and then join back to the main line, the delay repeats will be flanged, but your dry signal won't. you can set up chains of stuff which you can enable simply by unmuting the first effect in the chain (if the bypass mode is set correctly).
multidelays running into pitch shifters...reverbs running into lfo controlled filters...pitch shifters running into multidelays...i have patches with 7 or 8 effects in a parallel path (which may even have it's own parallel sub-path), to create huge ambient scapes which appear "behind" a simple unaffected clean sound (which i can bring in or out as i wish). it's a very powerful technique! :)

yup, another good vid.

one of the cool things you can do with parallel paths is use fx to effect other fx, but leave your dry signal intact. an example....say you put a delay in parallel at 100% wet. now no dry signal is passing through that effect, so if you put a flanger behind the delay and then join back to the main line, the delay repeats will be flanged, but your dry signal won't. you can set up chains of stuff which you can enable simply by unmuting the first effect in the chain (if the bypass mode is set correctly).
multidelays running into pitch shifters...reverbs running into lfo controlled filters...pitch shifters running into multidelays...i have patches with 7 or 8 effects in a parallel path (which may even have it's own parallel sub-path), to create huge ambient scapes which appear "behind" a simple unaffected clean sound (which i can bring in or out as i wish). it's a very powerful technique! :)

Very cool. What would you do in the scenarios above to ensure the bypass mode is set properly?

yup, another good vid.

Yes!

I considered adding this, but will do that in a 'intermediate' level parallel paths video in the future (or YOU could do one!).

There is just so much to do and consider that I wanted to boil it down to basics and on these videos want to stick to making 1-2 points and getting them across. I work with a lot of guitarists and artists that ask about these different things and want to make these videos easily digestible and on point.

That said, I hope this sort of also sparks guys with different and/or more advanced leanings to also add their own videos and tutorials on those things and how THEY approach these sorts of abilities. My way is just my way; nothing more or less. There is a lot more, but there are also alternate methods and approaches that might fit different people's situations better than my approach at the same time.

I'm really glad - seriously - that some people are finding these little videos of mine useful. It's one of the most satisfying things I do; just sharing what I know and seeing other people say, "Oh... that's it?"

It's the good stuff.

Yes!

I considered adding this, but will do that in a 'intermediate' level parallel paths video in the future (or YOU could do one!).

There is just so much to do and consider that I wanted to boil it down to basics and on these videos want to stick to making 1-2 points and getting them across. I work with a lot of guitarists and artists that ask about these different things and want to make these videos easily digestible and on point.

That said, I hope this sort of also sparks guys with different and/or more advanced leanings to also add their own videos and tutorials on those things and how THEY approach these sorts of abilities. My way is just my way; nothing more or less. There is a lot more, but there are also alternate methods and approaches that might fit different people's situations better than my approach at the same time.

I'm really glad - seriously - that some people are finding these little videos of mine useful. It's one of the most satisfying things I do; just sharing what I know and seeing other people say, "Oh... that's it?"

It's the good stuff.

You have no idea just how much you and your brothers in arms (master Axe wielders mind you) like Cliff, Yek, Matt are appreciated. :encouragement:

no, i agree with you scott...it's better to explain the basics clearly and simply. the "rules" and tips apply to the simple stuff as well as the complex stuff. the only difference is how far you take it and that's down to your imagination and creativity...but just like any art, you gotta get the basics down first.

i will get round to doing some vids at some point soon...i've been so crazy busy the last few weeks, i just haven't had a chance...

in the meantime, here's a little glimpse at what you can do with parallel routing...all the processing here is happening in parallel to the main line, which is just a basic clean sound with a little phaser, reverb and delay...

Yes!

I considered adding this, but will do that in a 'intermediate' level parallel paths video in the future (or YOU could do one!)

Oh yeah ... can't wait! :encouragement:

Better hurry so we can get ready for the future release of Simeon's Deep End Of The Pool Advanced Parallel Paths videos! :D

... i will get round to doing some vids at some point soon ... in the meantime, here's a little glimpse at what you can do with parallel routing...all the processing here is happening in parallel to the main line, which is just a basic clean sound with a little phaser, reverb and delay...

Oh yeah! :encouragement:

Are you playing single note lines to generate this or chord voicings?

I am trying to imagine, say, a slow tasty Steve Lukather-type solo causing these sounds to come out of the parallel effects line. Can't wait to learn the Axe FX II ropes. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom