Taming the Monster - Series and Parallel Routing

I just wanted to add my thanks for this video Scott. It has made the whole parallel effects thing so much easier to understand. Really nicely done, thanks again.

He did a great job in that video... Burning question - If you have a delay routed in series AND the mix set to 8% in series), when you go to parallel, you put the mix to 100%, what do you put the output "level" to be "close" to the 8% mix you had previously. Makes sense?... For some reason I HAVE to know the answer to this... ha... thanks..

Last edited:
He did a great job in that video... Burning question - If you have a delay routed in series AND the mix set to 8% in series), when you go to parallel, you put the mix to 100%, what do you put the output "level" to be "close" to the 8% mix you had previously. Makes sense?... For some reason I HAVE to know the answer to this... ha... thanks..
You have to use your ears. My 8% will most likely not match your 8%; it's perception and it's subjective.
Welcome back Scott! Whereya been?
I'm here, haven't gone any where. I just don't post unless there's something to say and I have not had anything worthwhile to say. lol.

You have to use your ears. My 8% will most likely not match your 8%; it's perception and it's subjective.

I'm here, haven't gone any where. I just don't post unless there's something to say and I have not had anything worthwhile to say. lol.
Hi Scott. I thought you were Snake Pliskin. Missed your posts bro.

I have a question. I changed a few of my presets based on your video and absolutely love the way it works. However, I noticed they got a little muddy, compared to when I had the same chorus, reverb, flanger in line. Is this possibly due to the fact that even though the effects were disabled, the preset was still picking up the adjusted eq settings I changed in the effects. For instance in chorus, I lowered the hi cut to 7000 and the low cut to 110.
Thanks in advance

Once the effect is bypassed, it should be as if it is not there.
In other words the EQ settings should make no difference when bypassed.

Maybe try building a fresh preset from scratch.

I have noticed something using the rotary block in parallel.
It seems impossible to keep the overall volume of the patch the same when rotary is at 100%.
While adding the effect, it is adding overall level to the patch.
This is with bypass mode not on thru.

Once the effect is bypassed, it should be as if it is not there.
In other words the EQ settings should make no difference when bypassed.

Maybe try building a fresh preset from scratch.
I tried that, but using the same amp and cab block. Once I put everything in series, the mud goes away. I've checked levels, eq and made sure I did exactly what Scott's video showed with regard to settings, etc.

It seems impossible to keep the overall volume of the patch the same when rotary is at 100%.

Avoid doing that if you want to keep level constant.

With most modulation effects (anything not adding significant delay) you typically can't just add the wet signal while avoiding a level increase. You need to reduce the dry level when adding the effect. The easiest way would be series routing w/ thru bypass, unless you required the parallel routing for another reason.

I tried that, but using the same amp and cab block. Once I put everything in series, the mud goes away. I've checked levels, eq and made sure I did exactly what Scott's video showed with regard to settings, etc.

Post two example presets in the exact states you're comparing. Otherwise it's only possible to guess at what's happening. I'd guess you're not matching level exactly, or ending up with higher level before a drive stage (e.g. amp block) while adjusting level at a later point.

From what I saw in Scott's video, you set your mix and spread to 100, choose fx bypass and use the level to adjust the amount of the effect you want. It works perfectly for me. However when I was first setting up the parallel configuration in my presets, I kept forgetting to set the mix, spread or both to 100 and I had major clipping. He talks about that in his video.
And I found my clipping. It was the fact that the amp was going into the reverb at one point and the reverb level was set low. Moving the reverb block to parallel, removed the reduction of the level. I turned down the level while watching the meters on the AXE and got it corrected. I will say my effects all sound better now and I no longer have volume discrepancies.

Back
Top Bottom