Taming the Monster - Building an Amp/Cab Preset in the Axe-FX II + Tweaking It

Questions & Answers...

Hi Paul,

If you're already familiar with and understand the functionality, purpose, and parameters associated with a Parametric-Equalizer (Center-Frequency, Q/Bandwidth, and Gain,) then it's really about applying a parametric-equalizer to the low-frequency region of your speaker-in-use. If you're NOT familiar with (or do NOT fully understand) parametric-equalizers, then I can try to summarize their functionality specific to this SPKR-TAB.

5) LF RESONANCE ? I know what low frequency is and i think i know what resonance is... But when the two words are put together ??? My guess is that raising the value of this parameter will make the sound more boomey ... If im on the right track no need to answer this question.

With MOST typical settings, you'd probably think the effect of raising this parameter is to make it sound "boomy." However, that effect will depend on the three interacting parameters associated with the LOW-FREQUENCY RESONANCE: 1.) LOW FREQ 2.) LOW Q 3.) LOW RES (gain).

In a nutshell, the LOW RES parameter represents how much "low-end thump" (gain) you're adding at the specified frequency (LOW FREQ) and "as wide an area of thump" determined by the Q-value (LOW Q).

*LOW RES is similar (but NOT identical) to the GAIN parameter of a parametric-equalizer. HOWEVER, the fundamental difference here is that the Axe-FX II's SPKR-TAB/LOW RES, can ONLY ADD gain! You CANNOT do a subtractive-EQ maneuver in the LOW RES OR the HI-RES parameters. The MIDRANGE-FREQUENCY region (MID RES) DOES ALLOW for subtractive (via NEGATIVE db-values) and additive (via positive-values) EQ functions!

6) LF RES FREQ ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words

The LOW FREQ parameter is the center-frequency at which anywhere from a narrow EQ/RESONANT-BUMP (think: "spikey" but in a low-register! Also similar to taking ONE-BAND on a graphic-EQ {in the low-frequency region} and pushing it way up!) will be applied (via high Q-values) or a very WIDE/BROAD EQ/RESONANT-BUMP (think: BOOM-BOOM-BOOMY!!!) and more reasonably somewhere in between, will be applied to the Speaker's response/tonal-output.

7) LF RES Q ?? what is this and how does changing the value of this control affect the sound? Again im looking for buzz words.

As I mentioned in the description of LOW FREQ, the LOW Q represents how wide the "spike" or "bump" is going to be. As Scott continually reminds us: Use your ears!

*Extreme LOW Q settings (too-wide of a Q - by entering LOW Q-values - will just make your entire low-end spectrum "loose"/"frumpy"/"overly-boomy"/etc! While too-narrow of a Q - by entering HIGH Q-values - will cause that "unnatural spikey-ness" in the low end...) will sound unnatural and unpleasant, (IMHO/YMMV.) Somewhere in between will sound the most natural and give you that cool "thumpy" low-end resonance that you're looking for! That said, if you're NOT looking for additional "resonant-thump" from your speaker/IR's output, then DON'T APPLY any additional resonance!

NOTE: NOT applying LOW-END RESONANCE in the SPKR-TAB can easily be achieved by entering a LOW RES parameter-value=0.00. As is the case with a parametric-EQ, when you enter a gain-value (in this case LOW RES=gain) equal-to-ZERO, then your Q (LOW Q) and FREQUENCY (LOW FREQ) parameter-values are MEANINGLESS! They won't do anything to the signal, since the gain is at ZERO! ...USE YOUR EARS!

*BTW, in this case, I think it's OK to USE YOUR EYES! Typically, that's a dangerous practice, but I think you can learn a bit about parametric-EQ's (in this case the LOW RESONANCE SPKR-TAB) by looking at the graphical-screen on your Axe-FX II as you adjust the various parameters!

I hope that im not insulting any one by asking these questions and understand that i may be asking too much...

Not at all Paul (hey that rhymed!) You're entitled to ask for help, especially since you don't come across to me as an arrogant know-it-all who has tried everything and nothing works, and your Mesa Triple-Rec blows the Axe-FX II away, and blah-blah-blah - LOL! (I'll never understand why people who are that unhappy, don't just sell their Axe-FX II's and end the misery for themselves! It's obviously NOT the tool for them, and THAT'S OK!!!)

Best of luck in your continued "sonic-journey" with your Axe-FX II! USE YOUR EARS, and when all else fails, consult Scott Peterson - LOL!

Bill

Last edited:
New AXE user here and have been trying to dial in some tones... I'm using a real power amp and cabs... do I need to be concerned with the "speaker" tab on the AMP block? I've never touched it assuming it was designed to be used with the Cab block only. BUT, since it is in the AMP block, maybe it would be useful for me as well. Even though I'm using a power amp (VHT 2502), I'm finding the power amp sims are still fantastic (after upgrading to V5.04b that is).

New AXE user here and have been trying to dial in some tones... I'm using a real power amp and cabs... do I need to be concerned with the "speaker" tab on the AMP block? I've never touched it assuming it was designed to be used with the Cab block only. BUT, since it is in the AMP block, maybe it would be useful for me as well. Even though I'm using a power amp (VHT 2502), I'm finding the power amp sims are still fantastic (after upgrading to V5.04b that is).

Yes you do - for the same reasons.

Hi Paul,

If you're already familiar with and understand the functionality, purpose, and parameters associated with a Parametric-Equalizer (Center-Frequency, Q/Bandwidth, and Gain,) then it's really about applying a parametric-equalizer to the low-frequency region of your speaker-in-use. If you're NOT familiar with (or do NOT fully understand) parametric-equalizers, then I can try to summarize their functionality specific to this SPKR-TAB.

Bill

WOW two answers to the same questions by 2 experts. One is a method the other raw data/fact/aural description. I am also adding this to my collection of info to be studied and sorted out. THIS IS EXACTLY THE INFO I SEEK Scotts method your definitions...Today, i must say has been a good day
I used to own one of these... if you ever think of selling ur 1993 Hughes & Kettner Access

Thanks for the FF/NF cab suggestion...it is a great one! Also like the video.
Had a few questions if any has suggestions.
1. Should we tweak the basic tone controls or just leave them all at 5 like Scott did...or should we start at 5, adjust the speaker tab, then readjust the amp's bass/mid/treble/presence/depth/etc?
2. I really like the FF/NF mix...it seems to add a 3D effect to clean tones and make them much fuller/richer....can it be done to a lesser extent on high gain tones using two cab blocks with the FF mix turned way down? To me this approach in a stereo cab forces you to mix the two cabs equally where using two cabs gives the option to have a primary cab and a small amount of FF mixed in for good measure?

Also +1 on MFC wah setup...please do a video on that Scott!
Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks for the FF/NF cab suggestion...it is a great one! Also like the video.
Had a few questions if any has suggestions.
1. Should we tweak the basic tone controls or just leave them all at 5 like Scott did...or should we start at 5, adjust the speaker tab, then readjust the amp's bass/mid/treble/presence/depth/etc?
2. I really like the FF/NF mix...it seems to add a 3D effect to clean tones and make them much fuller/richer....can it be done to a lesser extent on high gain tones using two cab blocks with the FF mix turned way down? To me this approach in a stereo cab forces you to mix the two cabs equally where using two cabs gives the option to have a primary cab and a small amount of FF mixed in for good measure?

Also +1 on MFC wah setup...please do a video on that Scott!
Thanks again for all your help!

Here's my method in order:
  1. Choose and setup the proper cab. (I've detailed my preferred method above with suggestions).
  2. Set the Drive/Master Volume to taste. This is the most important co-dependent relationship of any amp depending on your goal.
  3. Set the Tone stack EQ to taste. Yes you should vary it up; but trust your ears MORE than your eyes. In the video I used noon, but only because it sounded good to my ears. This is highly subjective and highly personal.
  4. Set up and tweak out the Speaker Tab. Think of this as 'dialing in the cab' if you will.
You can try any number of cab setups you like - it comes down to personal taste. I use my method from the cleanest cleans to the meanest heavy tones with great success across the board. YMMV!!!

Remember again, my way is by no means the ONLY way, nor the best way for all folks in all situations. It just works for me and I trust the method because it works every time.

I need a motto so how about this: Use your ears, Teach your ears, Trust your ears. Nothing else matters!!

Thanks Scott for the tutorial. As well as the endless hours of doing what you do for the sake of those who need you to do what you do so they can do what they do. :p ... but seriously ... thanks a lot man!

Last edited:
Here's the first of a series of videos I have planned on how to work with the Axe-FX.

Note I build a full blown amp/cab preset in just a few minutes. Have a look.

Ask any questions you like; I'll try to respond as I can.

Scott: as usual, you've inspired and made me re-think things. With FW 5.40b I am doing what you once did, which is to say, now starting from scratch all over, rebuilding from ground up, to take full advantage of the new Firmware and not spend time trying to port over old things (save for effects).

Thanks for the good work, we all look forward to more videos. - AustinBuddy

Scott,

Thanks for your time and expertise. This is just what the doctor ordered. Great stuff and truly look forward to any/all future videos and training articles. Keep up the great work.

Best,

Lee

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to what is to come....

Read through the thread and I don't recall any information on how the tone was recorded. Were you going straight into a computer? Any processing for mixing into the video?

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to what is to come....

Read through the thread and I don't recall any information on how the tone was recorded. Were you going straight into a computer? Any processing for mixing into the video?

The guitar was direct into Reaper via USB.

I did the voice over with a SM57 into my Lexicon audio interface.

No processing. Dropped the tracks into the video program and poof - done. I did turn the guitar tracks down. But no processing at all.

2)DEPTH –

3) What is negative feedback frequency response
Depth (and presence) are related to negative feedback. Negative feedback is a trick used by amp designers to control the amp's response to changes in the way that speakers load your amp. Some amps use negative feedback, some don't. In general, more negative feedback makes an amp sound and feel tighter. Less negative feedback makes it sound and feel more bouncy.

Depth and presence are ways to EQ the amp using the negative feedback circuit. Their effects are more subtle than "regular" EQ (bass, mid and treble), but they also have a different flavor. How is it different? Tweak each one radically and let your ears tell you.

5) LF RESONANCE ?

Low-frequency resonance and high-frequency resonance are two things that real speaker cabinets have. They have more response around 100 Hz or so, and they have another hump in their response at higher frequencies. Along with the changes in response, there are changes in the load that the speaker puts on your amp. That changes how the amp responds at those frequencies. All those changes are the things that give individual cabs their flavor. And cab flavor is a huge part of your sound. It's at least as important as the amp itself.

Real cabs don't have a mid-frequency resonance, but Cliff threw it in anyway to give us even more ways to tweak the flavor of the cab.

Last edited:
This video helped me immensely. Thanks so much, Scott. My head has been spinning since I've gotten my Axe-Fx II, there's just so much to learn for someone who is an absolute beginner with setting up tones (My only other amplifier is a 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204, definitely a one-dimensional amp and quite easy to dial in. Hell, there's only 6 knobs!). I know the Axe-Fx II is the best thing for me, not only tone-wise but as it'll help me learn more about this in general. This whole Axe-Fx II thing is extremely overwhelming, but stuff like this is making the whole experience a hell of a lot better for me. Please, PLEASE keep making more videos, it's helping me learn so much!

I need a motto so how about this: Use your ears, Teach your ears, Trust your ears. Nothing else matters!!

Great job on the video.

How about this...

There once was a Scott from Nantucket
Who had a guitar and could pluck it
He said with a grin, as the questions came in
Just use your ear, you can trust it

Thanks rex this is a great thread .
Yes, it's a fantastic thread. Scott has a habit of starting those. :) And I always learn from them.

This time around, his use of video takes helpfulness to a whole new level. You get to actually see it done. Most cool.

Note to Scott: I second the request for comments about how the tone is changing while you're tweaking. Some of the subtleties that can make or break a patch get blurred in transit, and a brief note about why this or that setting brings a smile to your face would go a long way.

axel - outstanding!!

Rex - point taken, thanks for the tip.

I'l get better at doing these; any suggestions to make them more useful are defiantly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom