Taking Tone Matching one step further... ?

CyberFerret

Power User
Ok, I admit I'm the guy who said I wasn't really interested in the tone matching stuff and wasn't really going to bother with it... but yes, I've spent literally 3 hours today just working on matching some samples I've managed to find. Awesome fun!

I posted in the 'Recording' area a sample tone match I did of Joe Bonamassa's rig: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/51095-tone-matching-bonamassas-twin-amp-rig.html

As you know, he runs a dual amp rig for his tones. What I did was to set up two amps in parallel in a patch, then run the TMA block after the amps (and 2 x cabs) were merged back into one line.

I am wondering/guessing: Is the TMA block pretty much a 'self adjusting' PEQ block in essence? Perhaps it does more, but I thought I would be great if we can 'convert' a sampled TMA block in one or more PEQ+FX block(s) after we are happy with the sampling. For the following reason:

On the same source video clip, Joe actually demonstrates his amps individually as well, and it would be great if we could tone match the first amp with a TMA block, convert that to a Amp/Cab/PEQ/FX line, then bypass that chain and do another sample on his second amp, convert that to Amp/Cab/PEQ/FX line and combine and run the two in parallel.

Voila! Much more accurate sampling because we now have each individual amp samples closely, and we are simply combining them to get his tone.

It would be nice if this was possible now, or in the future...

It more more like an impulse than a peq.
It will not capture effects (other than their tonal contribution), it will not capture non-linear behavior like compression or distortion)

You can tonally match the first amp/cab/peq/fx line , export it to a user cab and do the same with the second amp/cab/peq/fx line.

I always thought an impulse would be nothing more than an eq?

It's actually far more detailed and accurate than a EQ. Think of it as an EQ with a Masters degree on steroids. (Because it occurs over time, not a 'static' picture like most self-proclaimed 'experts' (that are anything but) would have you believe.) :D

so the tone matching block handles the EQ ing part then all i need to do is add drive to taste, then effects in the chain?

Back
Top Bottom