Synth Question

gigawatt

Experienced
So this is the first time noodling with the synth since owning the Axe III for 2+ years and it's much different than I remember in the Ultra. I added a Synth block to the chain and it was your normal, clean synth. Then I moved it over before the amp which happened to be a Recto expecting some heavily distorted synth, but it wasn't, it was only slightly more distorted, and the Recto was set for high gain. I tried all the controls for the Synth but to no avail. Now when I had the Ultra and ran the Synth through distortion it was how I imagined it should be, it sounded just like the opening of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers." I could also get Journey's "Separate Ways."

Any idea what I could be missing?

Thanks much!

try this. put the mix level of the synth block at 50% and put the shift parameter at +5 or +7

using a single synth voice is almost no different from using a single guitar note. why you think it will suddenly sound significantly different, is a bit of a mystery to me.

why you think it will suddenly sound significantly different, is a bit of a mystery to me.

I'll give that a try, in fact I did try something similar. It's like adding distortion to anything, whether it be voice, bass, guitar, synth. There was a preset in the Ultra that was a synth, I forget if it had distortion on it but when I added distortion I could get the exact tone of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers, like this -

yeah, it's sending more than one note at a time into the amp that creates the crunch. rather than set the mix to 50%, as i suggested before (that won't work so well, on reflection), just use two synth voices a 5th apart. use another an octave down as well, if you like, that'll sound really beefy.

Alright been experimenting, a little rough around the edges? Thanks for all the tips!

I'll post my preset when I figure it out 🧐

OK, I can't figure it out, not in a timely fashion anyway. Could someone please help me with sharing presets to the Forum? I've never learned how to do it and think it's about time. Thanks very much 🙂. (I think I also need @hippietim's violin block to make this smoother, thanks for the referral @unix-guy).

OK, I can't figure it out, not in a timely fashion anyway. Could someone please help me with sharing presets to the Forum? I've never learned how to do it and think it's about time. Thanks very much 🙂. (I think I also need @hippietim's violin block to make this smoother, thanks for the referral @unix-guy).
Export your preset to your computer using Axe-Edit Export.

Post it to the forum in a post using the "Attach files" button.

2DEE1F9D-E26D-45A7-A2FE-0A0F6746BF74.jpeg

You can grab my preset. It was dome on the FM3 but it will load on the Axe-Fx III no problem.

Well I tried to grab it but I got this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 1.09.29 AM.png

🤔

OK I uploaded my patch here, hippietim can you see if this works on your FM3? Thanks much!

@unix-guy thanks for your help uploading and grabbing presets!

Attachments

• DEEP PURPLE Perfect Strangers.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Was able to load Tim's preset on my III fine, but didn't use Fractal Bot. One thing to note,however, is the name of the IR. When you bring it into your cabs list, it shows up as Cello Body Mix, not violin mix - at least on my system anyway.

Back
Top Bottom