Wish Synth Pitch Only follower

discondition

Inspired
As far as I’m aware we can only get the synth to follow pitch when it’s also following the envelope.

I think it’d be great to have a Pitch Only follower setting so that the volume could be controlled only by LFO and ADSR, whilst still getting the pitch tracking.

You can turn off tracking and use a modifier on the Frequency control in the Synth but it'll take some additional massaging to get it to track correctly. Without tracking on the envelope you'll have a hard time making the Synth stop making sound when you do, so you'll have to add something inline to handle rolling off the volume or muting the sound.

@simeon has a bunch of presets that use the Synth so it might be useful to browse through his and see what he's doing.

There's a good reason for it working the way it does. Before you play a note or after it dies away, there is no pitch. In other words, without an envelope, the pitch is meaningless. You could imagine a design where the last significant pitch is retained, but it's not as simple as just adding an option which removes the envelope from the pitch+env option. In meantime, you can use any of the many feedback-with-synth-block presets that are available on the forum to sustain the synth block with whatever envelope or amplitude modulation you want.

yeah, it's a tricky one, because pitch is detected at the input. you can turn tracking off and attach the synth level to an adsr, expression pedal or some other modifier and you can attach the frequency parameter to the pitch modifier 9check the thread i started bout how to do the freqout for the values). the most predictable, usable and stable way to do it, is to attach the frequency parameter to a scene modifier and set up a bunch of scenes, each with a different drone note. fremen has a whole bunch of these available. you didn't quite explain what your intended use was, so i'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Oh cool thanks, I hadn’t thought of that, I’ll definitely give it a go!

My intended use is to approach making synth patches in a more familiar way to how a synth generally works where you hook up the ADSR separately from the pitch. Rather than having envelope and pitch tied together, sounds like there are ways around it after all. Cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom