Switching between series and parallel fx

Dave.S

New FM9 user here - I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to switch between parallel and series signal path using scenes or something else without switching pre-sets - specifically reverb blocks.

Yes, that's what I want to do, but was hoping to be able to switch from having them/signal path run in parallel to then run in series to get a really dense ambient 'pad' type effect (similar to 100% wet Strymon cloud)

In a given preset, the grid is fixed. There is not a "parallel" or "series" mode in the blocks, it's all about the grid.

You CAN put a parallel block upstream or downstream from another series (or parallel) block and they will effectively run in series of each other, though the mix will still include some dry.

In most scenarios, having the Reverb in parallel or series has no sonic difference. There are probably solutions to what you want to achieve. Can you provide more info, and post an example preset?

Place the Reverb block in series, set Level to 3dB and Mix to 50%, use Input Gain to control the mix. That results in the same thing as putting the block in parallel.

So, you can do that on one channel of the Reverb block and a "normal" series setup on another channel.

Then you can use scenes or other methods to select the channel you want.

Yes, that's what I want to do, but was hoping to be able to switch from having them/signal path run in parallel to then run in series to get a really dense ambient 'pad' type effect (similar to 100% wet Strymon cloud)
Then you're in luck. The Reverb block is reverb in parallel with the dry signal. So when you put the Reverb block in series with your signal chain, you've already got reverb in parallel. Put Reverb in series with your signal path, and run it 100% wet. That's as wet as any effect can ever get. ;)

Reactions: yek
20240626_154758.jpg

Strange requirement, but I'm open to creative requirements...

Use a MULTIPLEXER (or a MIXER or 2x VOLUME) to select (adjust) the input for REV2:

2xREV in parallel:
VOL1 active (100% volume)
MULTIPLEX set to Row2
REV2 set to 100% wet mix (to avoid to sum 2xdry signals)

2xREV in series:
VOL1 OFF (0% volume)
MULTIPLEX set to Row1
REV2 set with default 50% mix or anything desired

Last edited:
Place the Reverb block in series, set Level to 3dB and Mix to 50%, use Input Gain to control the mix. That results in the same thing as putting the block in parallel.

So, you can do that on one channel of the Reverb block and a "normal" series setup on another channel.

Then you can use scenes or other methods to select the channel you want.
This is a quite good point. It's a serial connection, but indistinguishable from parallel sonically. And capable of essentially both series and parallel based on mix.

I agree that there are likely better ways to accomplish it, but you can switch between series and parallel by simply muting the dry parallel path - for example, split the signal to a volume block and a parallel reverb block, then join them back together on the next block (for example, an output block). When you mute the volume block, the reverb block switches from being parallel to being series.

Thanks everyone - I came up with a similar thought to BobXX using 2 mixer blocks to send signal in the required path, but also appreciated Rex & UnixGuy thoughts came up with 2 potential options based on their input - the lighter mix serial version, but also a variation on that theme which would be hard pan left (verb1) & right (verb2) & then put both outputs balanced + killdry + 100% wet.

Not sure it will illuminate the discussion too much, but a visual representation of what I am trying to achieve below:

1719457331407.png

thanks again for the discussion and ideas.

Thanks everyone - I came up with a similar thought to BobXX using 2 mixer blocks to send signal in the required path, but also appreciated Rex & UnixGuy thoughts came up with 2 potential options based on their input - the lighter mix serial version, but also a variation on that theme which would be hard pan left (verb1) & right (verb2) & then put both outputs balanced + killdry + 100% wet.

Not sure it will illuminate the discussion too much, but a visual representation of what I am trying to achieve below:

View attachment 142183

thanks again for the discussion and ideas.
Your diagram is showing 2 Reverb blocks either parallel to each other or in series with each other.

I'm not sure that's the solution we're trying to provide an answer for based on your original post...

This is a quite good point. It's a serial connection, but indistinguishable from parallel sonically. And capable of essentially both series and parallel based on mix.
Only by changing channels to another channel with "normal" settings... Unless you used Scene Controllers (or another modifier) to modify Mix, Level and Input Gain.

Your diagram is showing 2 Reverb blocks either parallel to each other or in series with each other.

I'm not sure that's the solution we're trying to provide an answer for based on your original post...
Fair comment. I would have posted that sooner if I could have.
The discussion has helped me out in any case, so I still appreciate everyone's input.
:)

Fair comment. I would have posted that sooner if I could have.
The discussion has helped me out in any case, so I still appreciate everyone's input.
:)
Ok, so you're wanting to run 2 Reverb blocks in parallel to each other or in series with each other, or just with the rest of the signal?

Back
Top Bottom