Super portable “FRFR” thoughts?

Those 8 inch speakers are loud enough to play with a drummer?

SO, I've never used that speaker (although I'd love to check it out) but just wanted to give some real-life 8" speaker experience. I've been using an Electrovoice ZXA1 monitor recently with my digital setup. We play in a 3 piece (plus vocalist) rock band with a very loud drummer. The ZXA1 is plenty loud for any Alt-Rock , 90's Grunge, 80's hairband, 70's hard rock,etc music for the stage sound. BLOWS MY MIND that it is. . I'm going to get something newer and more durable, as this thing is not built to take any falls, etc but I'm a weekend band guy who has loads of great tube amps, and I've literally been shocked something this small can produced the sound it does. SO , being that the RedSounds are even more expensive, and should be better than this, I wouldn't be surprised if they can do it too

SO, I've never used that speaker (although I'd love to check it out) but just wanted to give some real-life 8" speaker experience. I've been using an Electrovoice ZXA1 monitor recently with my digital setup. We play in a 3 piece (plus vocalist) rock band with a very loud drummer. The ZXA1 is plenty loud for any Alt-Rock , 90's Grunge, 80's hairband, 70's hard rock,etc music for the stage sound. BLOWS MY MIND that it is. . I'm going to get something newer and more durable, as this thing is not built to take any falls, etc but I'm a weekend band guy who has loads of great tube amps, and I've literally been shocked something this small can produced the sound it does. SO , being that the RedSounds are even more expensive, and should be better than this, I wouldn't be surprised if they can do it too
That is amazing that something that small can produce sound like that! I just got the FM9 not that long ago and am looking for something to plug it into that will allow me to play with a drummer. Sold my Randall 4x12 and was looking for an FRFR so I can emulate any cab. I see that ZXA1 is $599 which is way cheaper than many FRFRs! Seems like the ultimate setup would be to run two in stereo with one on each side of the drummer!

That is amazing that something that small can produce sound like that! I just got the FM9 not that long ago and am looking for something to plug it into that will allow me to play with a drummer. Sold my Randall 4x12 and was looking for an FRFR so I can emulate any cab. I see that ZXA1 is $599 which is way cheaper than many FRFRs! Seems like the ultimate setup would be to run two in stereo with one on each side of the drummer!

Believe me I'm a skeptic, so it really amazed me. I bought this many years ago when it first came out (with a sub) to do a duet thing with my girlfriend, and although we put together 30 tunes, we ended up never playing gigs, (then broke up after 7 years-story of my life!) and it just sat in my corner unused. (I have a lot of gear.) I sold the sub, as both of my bands were all set on PA gear , and then recently in Nov'23 had a surgery, and decided to check this out with my old AX8 for gigging for lighter weight stuff (instead of my Splawn head, 2x12, and pedalboard, cable bag,etc) . It really has blown me away, volume-wise and sound-quality wise and weighs less than 20lbs. 2 of them would be pretty ultimate. . HOWEVER, It's not a new model at all, and I'm not sure if EV would still provide support /parts,etc for how long, so if it were me I'd buy something newer. Also the outside is made of ABS/Plastic so not durable if you should drop it, etc. Soundwise and weightwise I really like it. I have QSC K10's for my band monitors and those sound excellent too, but I really like this more for the Modelers. I'm tempted to upgrade and am looking at a Yamaha DHR12M but it's hard to believe everything you read without being to try something (Same with you believing me :) ) ... . Anyway, I definitely stand by my opinion that this is very loud enough to keep up with a hard rock-type drummer. My Drummer is a totally PA/Studio gearhead too, and at our last gig last Friday, he just looked at it, shook his head with a grin and couldn't believe all that sound came from such a mini speaker. .. . .

I dig my GR Guitar 110A
it is LOUD and ballsy and will hang with a rock band..

I have compared it against going into the FX return of my Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w 1x12 that has a huge sound with plenty of punch and bottom end authority. It hangs no problem.

11lbs
I have found I prefer it horizontally and angled up toward me with the ampwedge.

this is through the FR-12, yes.
Zowie. I need to get two of them. Been happy with my XiTone wedge for most purposes, but I really need more of a traditional guitar amp "feel" for some of my gigs, and pair of FR-12s would be lovely.

Zowie. I need to get two of them. Been happy with my XiTone wedge for most purposes, but I really need more of a traditional guitar amp "feel" for some of my gigs, and pair of FR-12s would be lovely.
yeah, honestly a pair would be amazing - I find one is good, but I would love to have a little more power sometimes. If you've got a super loud drummer you can get erased a little. That said, I'm not running it wide open or anything - just a little gun-shy from diming the thing for fear of blowing something! There isn't an input level/clip indicator on it either, which is kind of a drag, but so far hasn't been a problem.

you need a v2 if you want a clip indicator :)
I know that the v2 is "coming soon" to Sweetwater and other gear distros, so I'll probably just wait for it to arrive.

yeah, honestly a pair would be amazing - I find one is good, but I would love to have a little more power sometimes. If you've got a super loud drummer you can get erased a little. That said, I'm not running it wide open or anything - just a little gun-shy from diming the thing for fear of blowing something! There isn't an input level/clip indicator on it either, which is kind of a drag, but so far hasn't been a problem.
My objective is to be heard onstage at a comfortable volume. I don't need massive power. In fact, I don't even want the capability of high volume, even on large stages! I always tell my bandmates the loudest thing onstage should be our sax player. If you can't hear him, then you're too loud.

I know that the v2 is "coming soon" to Sweetwater and other gear distros, so I'll probably just wait for it to arrive.

My objective is to be heard onstage at a comfortable volume. I don't need massive power. In fact, I don't even want the capability of high volume, even on large stages! I always tell my bandmates the loudest thing onstage should be our sax player. If you can't hear him, then you're too loud.
then one should be plenty for you. Every once in a while, I need to weld ;)

I've had a pair of Bose S1's for years, used them for lots of gigs and rehearsals including with loud drums. Never had a problem with volume. They're not great in reverberant spaces but nothing is except a line array.

Back
Top Bottom