Super portable “FRFR” thoughts?

Hi all,

I’m looking to downsize from my EV ZLX-12P. It’s a good speaker, but living in NYC makes it a monster to get on and off the subway.

I know the Bose S1 pro and EV Everse8 are both popular, anyone have any actual hands on experience with them? I’ve read the Bose can be a bit lacking in volume. Or, any other suggestions are welcome.

I’m looking for portability first, something I can easily throw onto a hand truck and take on public transit. Battery is cool, but not essential. Ideally it can double up for electric > fractal > speaker and also for acoustic DI. I’ve had the idea to go with something like a powerstage and 1x10 or 1x12 cab, but don’t know that it would sound great with an acoustic/electric.

Volume wise, something that can get through a rehearsal or small gig with a live drum set, but definitely not trying to keep up with a metal drummer or anything like that.

Thanks!

The EV PXM-12MP is fairly small. Definitely loud and could easily handle Fractal and/or acoustic (or anything, really).
This is a step in the right direction, but still looking too heavy. It’s only a couple pounds lighter than my current speaker.

Sorry….CP8’s are terrible sounding with an FM9. Returned a pair after one show. No bass and dispersion is a very small cone.
Noted!

Maybe I can be of help here based on my recent years of experience. I'm currently a new FM9 owner but started out with an AX8 5 years ago. I went through quite a few "portable" FRFR powered speaker cabs and many so small PA powered cabs. Cutting to the chase, I have been immensely satisfied with the Headrush FRFR 108 solution and I use 2x cabs. I got spoiled running in stereo and these cabs are super light weight for the punch they pack. I don't think you'll be disappointed considering their low cost. I play 80-100 dates a year and these cabs have never failed me yet.

I hated the Headrush 108. Definitely subjective, but I couldn't return that thing fast enough.

In the other end of the FRFR spectrum for me is the Fender FR12. It's lighter than the PXM and I actually like it better for guitar. And it's cheaper. It's not smaller through.

OP, have you looked into the Fender FR-10 at all?

I hated the Headrush 108. Definitely subjective, but I couldn't return that thing fast enough.

In the other end of the FRFR spectrum for me is the Fender FR12. It's lighter than the PXM and I actually like it better for guitar. And it's cheaper. It's not smaller through.

OP, have you looked into the Fender FR-10 at all?
Eh, I’m familiar (definitely followed the hiss-terectomy thread). I think for some reason I just don’t WANT to like it, but maybe I just need to get over my bias haha

Blueamps Cubo...I have the Blueamps junior and it does fine with a medium load drummer and the Junior on a stand behind me.

I also have the EV PXM and the Fender FR10...all are great solutions.

Blueamps Cubo...I have the Blueamps junior and it does fine with a medium load drummer and the Junior on a stand behind me.

I also have the EV PXM and the Fender FR10...all are great solutions.

Ridiculous question of the day.. .Which one of those 3 do you prefer for your situation and why? :)

Ridiculous question of the day.. .Which one of those 3 do you prefer for your situation and why? :)

I like all 3 for what they do...for a small gig with limited stage space the Junior run in stereo is great.
If I need more juice I run the other 2 in stereo.
I had 2 different Laney's and started with the Headrush all 3 are a clear step above what I had before.

the Blueamp CUBO is very good, very portable and stereo, I just sold it to a neighboring guitarist, I currently prefer the GRGuitar which is a little bigger but lighter, also stereo and more powerful.

In terms of sound reproduction, both are very good.

Redsound is a strong contender, and loving the look of the Blueamps. Anyone tried sticking a Celestion FR12 into a standard guitar cab? Although then I’d need to toss a power amp in too…

I'm curious for folks who have the Elis.8 (or any of RedSound's other stuff) - how has the handle held up over time? My intuition is that a handle carved into the wood of the cabinet like that (as opposed to a separate handle bolted into place) would be sorta fragile and almost impossible to fix if it ever breaks, but I could be wrong.

My intuition is that a handle carved into the wood of the cabinet like that (as opposed to a separate handle bolted into place) would be sorta fragile and almost impossible to fix if it ever breaks, but I could be wrong.
The ELIS.8 cab weighs just under 20 lbs which is much less than any of my amps, and the handle is solid, as is the cabinet, so I have absolutely no concern that it'll fail. It'd take repeated pounding with a hammer to break it.

I've had a number of Fender amps that had handles that failed; My last Hotrod Deluxe was notorious for that, to the point that Fender had to redesign them, and they still failed so I replaced it with a nylon webbing dog collar which worked for years.

the Blueamp CUBO is very good, very portable and stereo, I just sold it to a neighboring guitarist, I currently prefer the GRGuitar which is a little bigger but lighter, also stereo and more powerful.

In terms of sound reproduction, both are very good.

Which Grguitar are you using? Active? 110a, 112a? Thanks, Eric

Back
Top Bottom