Suggestions for New Music?

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
I've been doing a lot of traveling lately during the day, back and forth, here and there for business purposes. While I have 32GB of music on my USB in my car, I keep going back to the same artists more than the rest. For the last few months, I have been stuck in a rut with the same artists (not that its a bad thing), but would like to get out of that rut to see if there are any more eye opening similar players out there. My list of artists is pretty much as follows in no specific order:

Neil Zaza
Greg Howe
George Lynch (Dokken, solo albums, KXM, etc.)
Allan Holdsworth
Slash (GnR, Snakepit, VR, solo projects)
Joe Bonamassa
Robin Ford
Al DiMeola
Neal Schon (Journey & solo projects)
Halestorm
Bullet for my Valentine
John Mayer

Not getting burnt out on any of those listed above, but would like to get out of the rut I'm in and see what else might be worth my ears hearing for a bit. :)

Edit: Would also be interested in forum member bands as well, especially if you have MP3 downloads for sale. :D

Last edited:
Try Pete Lesperance of Harem Scarem ...Mood Swings is one of my desert island CD's and maybe Dan Huff of Giant. I know they are 80's but they're both monster players....

Thanks man, will def have to check them out. I like a ton of the 80's stuff as well. Some of the most talented players came from that era for sure!

Oh man:

- Mute Math <- These guys absolutely rock
- Rival Sons
- Royal Blood
- Of Mice & Men [Restoring Force album]
- The Devil Wears Prada
- Carolina Liar
- Bastille
- Anberlin [Lowborn album]
- The Mars Volta [De-Loused in the Comatorium album]
- Our Last Night [Check their cover songs]
- Queens Of The Stone Age [...Like Clockwork album] <- Amazing!!

Have funnnnnn, travel safe.

Thanks for those, I'll def be checking into those! Never heard of most of those you listed btw, so this thread has already given me a good bit of new stuff to check out :D

Sweet man, make sure to check out MUTEMATH. I've met those guys multiple times, super awesome tones and music overall. It's quite an array of different musical types lol.

I would be really curious if you enjoy QOTSA ...Like Clockwork album. Or other members of the forum to get their take on the album also. It's my favorite QOTSA album thus far.

Safe travels mate!

-Them Crooked Vultures (The Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones power trio)
-New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation (great songwriting, killer rhythm section)
-Killing Joke (Absolute Dissent; Extremeties Dirt & Various Represssed Emotions) a great combination of melody and dissonance
-Soundgarden (King Animal) odd time signatures that groove, chugging guitars, with one of the best drummers out there
-Sugar (Copper Blue) great punky power pop by a man who can rip on guitar, Bob Mould

Try Pete Lesperance of Harem Scarem ...Mood Swings is one of my desert island CD's and maybe Dan Huff of Giant. I know they are 80's but they're both monster players....

Have you listened to Mood Swings II? I was cynical about how much could be improved in the re-record process since original was sooo good, but "oh my" it kicks so much ass with a few great new tunes to boot. Pete Lesperance is a monster player and Harem Scarem's whole catalog is solid.

I'll second Rival Sons. Their latest album, The Great Western Valkyrie is awesome. I bought their entire catalog. Now, if they would just do a comprehensive tour of their native United States instead of Europe, I'd be happy :)

Dayshell
Sleepwave
Cadillac Three
Invent Animate
Richie Kotzen
Winery Dogs
The Paramedic
Royal Blood
Anberlin
In Flight Safety
Rival Sons
Big Wreck
Crosses
The Tea Party

First ones that come to mind, and based on your list primarily guitar oriented:

Guthrie Govan
Paul Gilbert
Kiko Loureiro
Marco Sfogli
Vinnie Moore
David Maxim Micic
Scale The Summit
Pomegranate Tiger

I'll second the Winery Dogs, probably my favorite "new" band in recent years. Also Flying Colors have two great albums (Steve Morse, Mike Portnoy, Dave LaRue, Neil Morse). Also, the new Eric Johnson/Mike Stern. You mention Slash, so you may already have it, but the new album is killer. The new Billy Idol with Steve Stevens is awesome. Although now defunct, if you like Joe Bonamassa then check out Black Country Communion. They have three albums and I prefer Joe in that setting compared to his solo stuff. Too bad the egos couldn't abide each other.

I've been listening to these bands in my car on shuffle:
The Winery Dogs
Emmure - External Enemies
36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance
Adel - 21
Periphery - Clear
Incubus - Make Yourself & Morning View
Candia - What Doesn't Kill You
Temple Of The Dog
Pearl Jam - Ten
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Korn - Korn & Life is Peachy
Metallica - And Justice For All
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine & Evil Empire
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water & Gold Cobra

Haha I know it's a strange mixture of music but I swap out the music about once a month. I get inspired by the opposite kind of music that I'm writing. If I'm writing a heavy song I'll listen to Adel or if I'm writing a mellow song I'll listen to Emmure. It helps me to be more creative.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet
Toto - Kingdom of Desire
Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep, V, Snow
Anathema - Weather Systems, We're Here Because We're Here

Last edited:
First ones that come to mind, and based on your list primarily guitar oriented:

Guthrie Govan
Paul Gilbert
Kiko Loureiro
Marco Sfogli
Vinnie Moore
David Maxim Micic
Scale The Summit
Pomegranate Tiger

Holy fuck Marco Sfogli is one hell of a player, first time checking him out. Totally blown away by his technique, tone, and phrasing! Now to go purchase a ton of his works of art! Thanks for this recommendation! My new favorite guitarist right beside Neil Zaza:encouragement:

Ok, let me list some of my "new" discoveries... Some already listed:

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Flying Colors - both albums are good!

Maragold - since you like Howe, this should be right up your alley

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

Jim Weider - Percolator

Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey

Umphey's McGee - Similar Skin

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

And since you asked about our music, feel free to check out my band, TooMuchfiction:

Http://www.toomuchfiction.com

We have 3 albums on iTunes, and a 4th (all Axe Fx) in the final stages of mixing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom