Suggestions for a PRS SE

This is the SE Custom 24 I picked up earlier this year. It's really really good. This is the pic of the actual guitar I got from when the received it from the factory inspected it and sent it to me the next day. She's even better looking in person.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gas-won-this-is-on-the-way.123495/
q11429-front-large-jpg.37612

How are pickups?
Is that a floyd?
A friend has an SE but not sure of the model - tuning with the floyd is a bitch.

How are pickups?
Is that a floyd?
A friend has an SE but not sure of the model - tuning with the floyd is a bitch.
Not a floyd. a traditional trem. Very stable, stays in tune. I like the pickups fine. They're very expressive. A little hot, but that's ok.

I wish it had locking tuners. Might have to see about that.

Not a floyd. a traditional trem. Very stable, stays in tune. I like the pickups fine. They're very expressive. A little hot, but that's ok.

I wish it had locking tuners. Might have to see about that.
My pickups were a little hot when I first got mine.

I raised the action a wee bit and lowered the pickups a little. I would have sworn I had swapped out the pickups with the amount of difference it made. My pickups went from Seymour Duncan Invader like tonalities to more Air Norton/JB style tonalities.

My pickups were a little hot when I first got mine.

I raised the action a wee bit and lowered the pickups a little. I would have sworn I had swapped out the pickups with the amount of difference it made. My pickups went from Seymour Duncan Invader like tonalities to more Air Norton/JB style tonalities.
Similar experience, but in reverse. I had the action lowered for ergonomic necessity and the pickups set relatively low. Took any harshness out of the equation. Very happy with it.

Another PRS suggestion would be the Holcomb SE. If you like a flat fretboard and a fixed bridge, it's real nice. It's got Seymour Duncan Alpha and Omega pickups in it so it's a metal machine with some nice clean characteristics to it. I didn't get it so as not to be a total Periphery fanboy (but I am turning into one anyway). However with your stated potential setlist, might not be the appropriate guitar.

Love the CU24-7 with fixed bridge. Set the pickups lower. The neck pickup in particular. Put a strip of foam behind the nut to cut out the sympathetic vibrations of stings on the headstock.

Definitely get a model you can split coils on.

I also have a 245 SE with the stock Korean pups, and it flat-out sings as-is. Inexpensive, yet one of my very favorite guitars out of many. Super price/performance ratio for sure.

So that question is for you Sir ;)

I have on eye from second hand an 245 Se Tobacco Sunburst made in Korea on 2011 according the seller post.
I have never had a guitar in that style or Les Paul. Just fender strat, tele and Ibanez RG, so is still to be seen if I bond with the neck style (I hope so) and the guitar in general, which looks gorgeus.

But what to expect from the sound they do?Are good the korean stock pickups or need to be upgraded straight away to enjoy the toy properly?
Which fractal amplifiers do you like more for that guitar?
Thanks manScreenshot_20170907-013713.png Screenshot_20170907-013652.png Screenshot_20170907-013703.png Screenshot_20170907-013713.pngScreenshot_20170907-013639.png

Last edited:
In my experience, stock pickups are fine unless you are going for something specific that a particular set of aftermarket pickups has in known quantities beforehand.

For instance, I got a Strandberg Boden OS (made in the same Korean factory as that 2011 SE I'll wager) and had Lace Alumitones put in. I

'm currently pondering having the original Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB put back in. They're a bit warmer. I

knew the Alumitones were going to be bright, but I kinda think they' too bright now.

People have a natural affinity for being down on stock pickups just because of the name 'stock pickups', it sounds so derogatory.

As it turns out those stock pickups can turn out to be really good if you give them a chance. It all depends on what you're plugging them into and how that is set up.... which is the beauty of an Axe-FX II.

You can dial it in any way you want. A lot of people get crazy about pickups when they haven't really learned how to use those little Bass, Mid, Treble and Volume knobs yet.

Not saying you don't, but just live with pickups first, see what characteristics and sounds they have to give you, before you go and blow another $250 on racy pickups.

All of my guitars except for my first guitar (a Charvel/Jackson), a Steinberger Spirit (which is a hunk of junk with a legendary name on it), and the Boden, have stock pickups in them.

Seems that the SE Custom 24 is the one to get.
How does it differ from others?

Body shape, neck shape, wiring, finishes, number of frets, et cetera, so on and so forth. Build quality is the same for the various SE models. I think the SE Custom 24 is the consensus model for that price range these days though.

Back
Top Bottom