Studio monitors VS Xitone why does they sounding so different?

• Studio monitors VS Xitone why does they sounding so different?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

viking

Inspired
Hi ive been a AXE user for about 5 years now walked from HUGHE riggs to this wonderful AXE World.
I still have a qwestion about the differences in speakers.
I have a couple of 4 by 12" engl ex large speakers Vintage 30 they just standing now days in the rehearselroom.
Not using those at all.
I have bought me a matrix Three chanel amp with Three xitone speakers just for the good referens.
Just so i can get a Clean chain.
And i also use KRK and Fostex studio sapeakers
And nothing i ever tryed so far sounds so good as the studio speakers.
It is a hole different kind of sound from my AXE fx2 all the amps sounding just right that way.
i must say that live im using Elecro voice 12" flor monitors model
Electro Voice ZLX-12 12'' aktive ones they sounds real good.
But not as good as the AXE fx2 would do in the studio.
My qwestion is is there eny sulution for this problem.
Is there someone out there how now about with this problem more than i?
And know what to do here.
I was thinking maby some 12" studio monitors live but cant find eny.
And thinking they are very expensive in that case and maby to week for this job.

Regards to you all Music lovers out there

Hi
You need roadworthy studio quality monitors. Have you considered trying something like high end Meyer or similar? It's a hard goal but getting studio monitor sound from portable speakers will be expensive. Just set your maximum budget, and start from there.

use the axe fx global eq to make the xitones more flat sounding. you can play some music through the axe into the xitones and the monitors at the same time, using outs 1 and 2.

alternatively, ditch the xitones and the poweramp and get yourself some really good full range flat response powered speakers, like the atomic clr's, or the rcfnx12sma's.

i use the rcf's and my presets translate very well from my studio monitors. i don't need to tweak them at all

thank you ill take all the information and save it for later.
i have to get Little more info about how i should fix this isssue.
the global EQ thing i maby should work seems to be Little tricky tho.
but worth a real good tryout i think.
thank u any way so mutch
regards

I decided the best method (for me) was to have 2 different types of presets

One version of a preset for home/low volume which is set up for studio speakers or headphones

Another version of the preset set up for live and loud.

I did try altering the Global EQ to try and make home version presets work live (cut lows and highs and push mids a little) but the gain structure of the preset was always a problem ..... meaning I had to still go in and tweak the amp block usually to lower some gain.

Other things like delay levels and reverbs also sometimes change character a lot when played loud through stage monitors in a club compared to your home studio - although I suppose you could set them in as Global Blocks and control their levels that way .... but I prefer to try and not use Global Blocks.

I decided the best method (for me) was to have 2 different types of presets

One version of a preset for home/low volume which is set up for studio speakers or headphones

Another version of the preset set up for live and loud.

I did try altering the Global EQ to try and make home version presets work live (cut lows and highs and push mids a little) but the gain structure of the preset was always a problem ..... meaning I had to still go in and tweak the amp block usually to lower some gain.

Other things like delay levels and reverbs also sometimes change character a lot when played loud through stage monitors in a club compared to your home studio - although I suppose you could set them in as Global Blocks and control their levels that way .... but I prefer to try and not use Global Blocks.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

Good presets should sound good on studio monitors, in-ears, stage monitors and pa systems, just everywhere. If they don't there's something left to tweak better.
Sometimes you make recordings from live gigs or the signal gets taken for some smaller rooms near the stage and so on, it has to sound right there as well, it's not enough when it sounds right on big systems only.

So, it's not the monitors that arecto change when it sounds weak.

Every studio monitor sound different to each other, I have a pair of Tannoy 6D and the sound of my Axe is totally different from the FRFR in the rehearsal room.

From XiTone Site the monitor has 2 Eminence Beta -12CX coaxial drivers, not FRFR, as you can see in the specs page: http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-504--eminence-beta-12cx-specficiations.pdf
These are more like Guitar Speakers (57 Hz – 4.6 kHz).
I believe those specs do not cover the tweeter portion of the coaxial setup. Xitones are generally considered FRFR.

Every studio monitor sound different to each other, I have a pair of Tannoy 6D and the sound of my Axe is totally different from the FRFR in the rehearsal room.

From XiTone Site the monitor has 2 Eminence Beta -12CX coaxial drivers, not FRFR, as you can see in the specs page: http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-504--eminence-beta-12cx-specficiations.pdf
These are more like Guitar Speakers (57 Hz – 4.6 kHz).
yes but theres a crossover and a tweter and vol knob for the tweeter involved to in these speakers/wedges they sounds Amazing

Actually, Viking does not technically have XiTone cabs. Viking reached out to me maybe a couple years ago for some advice about building some speaker cabs for himself using the Eminence 12CX coax driver. He built his own enclosures and I think that is an awesome thing!

All speaker systems will differ from the next and sometimes differ drastically. Even within the +-3db spec to be considered FRFR there can be enough variation to make a difference... system A can be +3db at 500hz and system B could be -3db at 500hz giving a difference of 6db... a difference you would most certainly notice.

I have a Xitone 1x12 wedge, and it's very nearly FRFR. I don't know of anything that is 100% perfectly flat response across the human-detectable frequency range, and even so, I probably can't afford anything like that. But the Xitone is very flat. I also have a pair of full-range (also not perfectly FRFR) backline cabinets, and they're quite nice as well. The Xitone is delivers the best overall performance for me.

For what it's worth, I create my presets in my home studio, using reference near-field monitors with a matched subwoofer. I find that my presets translate perfectly to stage use at any volume. I give FOH a pair of XLR direct feeds, and for stage monitoring, it's one or more of the following :
  • Euphonic VL110 cabinets (mine)
  • Xitone 1x12 wedge (mine)
  • Sennheiser in-ears (mine)
  • House monitor wedge
By and large, the most important characteristic of the monitoring system is that it really needs to be as flat as reasonably possible. I want my stage tone to be an accurate representation of what FOH is receiving, and I want all of that to be the same as what I programmed in my home studio. One important step in my programming process is technical rehearsal with my band, where we perform on stage, at stage volume, in our stage positions. This is crucial for verifying that my tone settings are sitting well in the mix. I do occasionally make small adjustments to de-clutter the overall frequency range, but I rarely do more than minor tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom