Strymon Cloudburst

Interesting pedal... We can get close with FAS effects and just a little effort, which is even more amazing to me. We have most of the ingredients to copy and create new & old sounds. A few more of those ingredients and polyphony are probably my two biggest wishes for the Axe Fx, although I'm really happy with this amazing tool we have now.

So quick 2 cents, or not so quick actually, had a Blue Sky before I purchased my AX8 hung onto it until I got my FM3, sold it, fast forward I have a FM9 Turbo was playing around after listening to the cloudburst that was posted here, I find that just Sratocumulus reverb is very comparable to this oob, and that’s just default preset, adding a plex with the Intrigue setting in front gets it over the top imo, while not exactly same preset per say add a delay in front of both of these using the 2290 /modulation preset and I’m not even caring about the cb any longer… I do look forward to the experts in the forum that posts any presets.

So quick 2 cents, or not so quick actually, had a Blue Sky before I purchased my AX8 hung onto it until I got my FM3, sold it, fast forward I have a FM9 Turbo was playing around after listening to the cloudburst that was posted here, I find that just Sratocumulus reverb is very comparable to this oob, and that’s just default preset, adding a plex with the Intrigue setting in front gets it over the top imo, while not exactly same preset per say add a delay in front of both of these using the 2290 /modulation preset and I’m not even caring about the cb any longer… I do look forward to the experts in the forum that posts any presets.
I haven't bothered to try and replicate the Cloudburst. I did watch the Anderton's vid and wasn't really impressed. Let me qualify that. Yes, it is an impressive pedal (really cool actually), but I've already got very similar or even better capabilities in my factory presets. No diss to Strymon, but I found the whole reveal rather "meh" based on the FAS capabilities. There's absolutely no need for any FAS user to purchase this pedal.

My little spiel above got me thinking of @Rick 's take that the FAS platforms are really very nicely priced with all things considered.

sorry for the slow response. i had a look at the strymon chaps doing the deep dive and there's some sort of harmonic generation going on which i can't think how to replicate in the axe. i tried using drives, the harmonic drive, intelligent pitch shifters, the extra stuff in the cab block, the resonator, but to no avail. i ended up using a simple quad shifter and it sounds nice, but no cigar. you're welcome to the preset and do check the performance page for knobs like on the pedal

made on an axe fx III with firmware 21.01

comp, amp, cab, vol, quad pitch, plex
40% cpu

dunno if you FM3 guys have the quad pitch, sorry.
just use the diatonic dual shifter and set one voice to +7 and the other to +12 with a little delay for each voice

Attachments

• Not a Cloudburst Perf Controls.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
Maybe not the same but a great sound nevertheless.
I switched both +7 voices to 0.

Mr. Burgzzz-I'd love to take a ride on that CloudBurgzz preset if you get a mo to upload-thank ya indeed!

Could you not also feed the synth block into the spatial verb to add some ethereal stringy pad-ness into the tone?

lovely preset! don't bother trying to run it on your FM3 unless you want to lock it up! :)
Worked just fine on the FM9T, w/71%CPU... FYI
Defiantly the reverb type Nimbostratus is the closest thing to the cb, as mentioned, the decay on cb has a symphonic and or smooth synth type that may not be easily obtainable without some development assistance from fas.

wanted to create a patch for this, thought it'd be ez,...its not.
delay tones sounding like a symphony string chorus....Cool stuff.. I wanted it...
Here is my attempt based on a BRIT800.
don't, bother if you have a FM3.
My apologies for any self indulgences of cpu's cycles....
Its a really a hot mess actually
enjoy...

Attachments

• DaveO_Burst.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom