Strings

sprada

Inspired
It's that time where I'm running out of strings. Been using D'Addario .010 .046 for a while now. Not sure if I like them that much
Used Ernie Ball and Dean Markley Blue Steel (nice but a bit expensive) in the past.
What are you using? And what gauge? Any custom gauge users around?
Cheers.

Well, now we've had strings and picks, we just need cables and a "what modeller are you using?" thread :)

In any case, I use Thomastik Bebop .13 sets on a few guitars. Fantastic strings! The low strings are a bit thinner so they feel more lik .12 strings and I never use drop D anyway, so I don't care.
On my strat I use .11 GHS Boomers, long lasting and good value for money. I never liked the D'Addario for the strat for some reason, I did try them though.

Jens

Yeah D'Addario 0.10's here as well - and I don't really like them but they are the best balance of price and longevity.

I quite like the Elxiir Nanoweb - but I find on some guitars they can sound a bit thin and add some sort of ultrasonics artefact.

I did try the D'Addario coated string and they were HORRIBLE I meant truly terrible - avoid at all costs - gritty and nasty URGH.

I have a box of Dunlop 10's I am going to try soon.

I wish I could find a nice coated string that didn't go all gooey....

For what its worth I use the following :-

Ibanez Jem 7V WH, Ibanez RG & Hamer Chapparal Custom. D'Addario 9 -42 I tend to use this guage on Floyd Rose or Edge type guitars since around 1986 when I got my first Floyd Rose equipped guitar. Been using D'Addarios for about the same time.

On Stratocasters in standard tuning (the ones I have are scalloped ), I use 8 - 38 and have tended towards Fender Super Bullets. Recently I tried some Fender Bullets and at the moment I have Ernie Ball, Extra Slinkys 8 - 38 and next string change I have some Picatos to try. The main reason being the last time I was in London I could not find any Super Bullets in 8s, so just bought what I could get hold of.

On my Yngwie strat (which surprise is also scalloped ) but is always tuned down a half step to Eb, which is good for Hendrix stuff I use a custom gauge set which are Dean Markley, guage 8 ,11, 14 , 22 , 32 & 48. This set was sold as an Yngwie #8811 set but are no longer available. When I bought the Yngwie strat I bought a few sets to try as they were discontinued stock and I have three sets left. I actually find this custom gauge which is almost a set of 8s, with a heavier A and bottom E string works well in Eb. When these have gone I will probably buy the gauges I need in singles and get a few custom sets, possibly of Ernie Balls.

The next time I change the 9s, I want to try some Elixir and Ernie Ball Cobalts, and the standard 8 set I may also try Ernie Ball Cobalts. Elixir only seem to go down to 9s.

I,ve used D'Addario forever, 9-42, was playing 9-46. Back to 9-42 .Tried the Ernie Ball Colbalt, very bright and expensive. Vai can stick to those. Roto sound 9-42 aren't bad , but all and all ,I think I'll go back to my D Addario 9-42 at 30,35 bucks for 10 sets:D

I grew up using ghs boomer 11's, but also grew out of them. Not really sure why, i think they started to not last that long once I was gigging out more and cared about having fresh strings. I now use the Ernie Ball Cobalt 10's. These strings seem to do what they say, the alloy they use in the strings seems to give the strings more punch, and they do seem to last me a few shows/month at least. Little more expensive, but I've had less string breakages and also longer lasting for me.

I was using Snake Oil Strings, but the guy became so unreliable about getting orders to people I started to look elsewhere. I think I've settled on the EB Cobalt 9-46 for now. I like my low strings a bit stiffer than the high strings. The strings cost a little more, but they sound and feel good, plus they last longer than some of the cheaper sets I've tried.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

In my 30+ years of playing have tried allot of different strings but always seem to come back to D'Addario in my case 10-46 for standard tuning. And every now and then I will grab a set of strings that maybe I tried years ago (just to see if I am missing something) or even put them on a guitar I may have not had at the time.

The past few years I have been putting Elixirs on my acoustic guitars and pretty much liking them tone , feel, last a while. As far as electric something changed for me in last June. At the NY amp show they were handing out some products at the door for everybody and included was a set of Dunlop Nickle strings 10-46. Guess in was maybe a few weeks later it was time for one of Les Paul’s and figured what the hell, no floating trem if I don’t like them, easy enough to get rid of them and throw on my trusty D'Addario’s.

Well I did not end up liking them, but loving them! Without throwing out to many adjectives which really mean nothing without you hearing them. They just have a real nice harmonic balance to them, the cleans on the guitar sounded a bit better, bright but, not brittle. And not that I studied the string but there wound strings have an awesome feel to them. They are also cheap compared to other strings. Keep in mind I am not cheap if the product gets me where I want I don’t care the cost.

So far have only had these strings on my Gibson’s which all have low/medium gain pickups and I just love it but I really need to put a set on some of my guitars that have higher gain pickups. Have found through the years certain strings will sound better with either high or low gain pickups no “one ultimate string” to cover all the basis.

John

I use custom gauge GHS Burnished Nickels (9.5-46). 10s feel a little stiff to me on a 25.5" scale and the wound strings on 9.5s are a little floppy so I get sets with the plain strings from a 9.5 set and the wound strings from a 10 set.

i use the Ernie Ball Cobalts 10-52, i tune down a bit but want a little lighter string for soloing. i like thicker strings for the chunky rhythm

I,ve used D'Addario forever, 9-42, was playing 9-46. Back to 9-42 .Tried the Ernie Ball Colbalt, very bright and expensive. Vai can stick to those. Roto sound 9-42 aren't bad , but all and all ,I think I'll go back to my D Addario 9-42 at 30,35 bucks for 10 sets:D

+1

And the cobalts didn't last as long for at twice the price. I also noticed they dented easy.:roll

I cycle thru the following types - depending on mood, but the Elixir's definitely last the longest.
D'Addario 0.10/0.46's here
Elxiir Nanoweb 10/46's and...
GHS Boomers 10's

and rarely.. Fender Bullets.

D'Addario for years and years... I have tried others mentioned and always ran back to D'Addario. I have used SIT and like them though they took a wile to brake in but one they did I liked what I heard, felt and they didn't brake.

I have been using many different brands during the years, but seems I've always drifted back towards D'Addario. I used to play stainless steel 011-50 for a couple years but my fingers started to hurt so I went back all the way down to 09-42 daddarios. 4 months ago I tried ernie ball cobalt 09-42, and I got very surprised on how much clarity they gave I've never experienced so much difference in sound from one brand to another as with those.

I don't claim this to be facts but seems to me they gets out of tune a little bit easier than the daddario's 09-42

Gonna try another set of cobalts before I decide if I shall go back or not. .

//Kenneth

Been using D'Addario forever in various gauges (10's, 11's and 10-52 for down tuning). IME they're a little brighter sounding and can lift the sound of a dark guitar that little bit that counts. I had a brief flirtation with Ernie Ball strings but found them a little bass heavy.

Cheers.

Changed from D'Addario EXL110 (0.10-0.46) to D'Addario EXL110+ (0.105-0.48). A compromise since I wanted get away from the thin sounding light E-string but still light and easy to play.

Haven't tried other brands since the early 80s, maybe I should?

I used to use DR Hi-Beams, and I liked them a lot. But they were getting pricier. Guitar Center had stopped carrying them (and ended their haggling policy anyway) so it was harder to get deals on them. So I tried going back to Ernie Ball Slinkys (regular 10 gauge) instead. I might like the DRs a little better, but not by much. It's hard to judge which stayed brighter longer. It's far easier to find deals on the Slinkys. Not to say I wouldn't pay extra for something that really seemed worth it, but I think the Slinkys are great strings regardless of price, and even better when you compare price to quality.

Back
Top Bottom