Strings

D'Addario XL 120s for me (9-42). Sometime I'll go with a 10-52 set if I think the guitar calls for it.

On the plus side, the tone is good and they seem to retain their tone for a pretty long time. But, I find they are a little too bright for the first couple of hours and they need to be "worked in" as they seem to have a little more tension than other brands at first.

It's been a while since I auditioned other strings - but I remember thinking GHS Boomers and Darco were good also!

XL120.jpg

Last edited:
Ernies slinkys 9-42 and 10-46 ... forever. When gigging I'd change strings every week so they did fine. Now that I'm not gigging for a bit I find they like to break after 2/3 weeks so thinking of trying D'Addarios.

I also find that in the last year that Ernie Ball Slinkys should maybe be renamed 'Squeakys' as the wound strings do seem to make a lot more finger noise. I discovered a 3 or 4 year old unopened pack hiding in an old gig bag and they were definitely quicker to settle in than the newer ones.

Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 here. I have used ernie ball slinky's, every type of dean markley, D'Addario, SIT, DR, and a few others I can't remember. I found that I like the feel of D'Addario, the sound of dean markley's, and the durability of elixir's. Nanowebs sound pretty close to Dean Markley regular and last forever, but I wish I could get the tension of D'Addario.

I have a pack of EB Cobalt sitting on my desk, which will go on my main guitar on monday. No gigs and my wife is out of town for 2 weeks, so it's experiment time!

I didn't like D'Ad's for electrics.. they feel a little slack to me..
I like the string to fight back a little..

all of my guitars are the same scale [like a Strat] so I use these:
- concert tuned = Ernie Ball Hybrids [9 to 46]
- D-standard tuned = Ernie Ball Power Slinky's [11 to 48, but I replace the 5th and 6th with a 40 and 50 respectively]
- 7-string = Ernie Ball Hybrids with a 60 for the 7th string

Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
PRS Custom 22 one off
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster...Cleartone 10-46

Ibanez Jem 7VWH...Cleartone 9-42

Taylor T5...Cleartone 11-48

Taylor 614ce
Alvarez FD60...Elixer Polyweb 12-53

Parker Fly Deluxe...Fender Super Bullets. Had to use these on the Parker because the wraps from any other string at the ball end sat right on the saddle of the low E string. (That saddle sits waaaaay back.)

D'Addario 11-52s. My ideal string set would have a 10.5 on top to get optimum balance across the set, so when I'm feeling really pedantic I replace the 11. Like Clarky I want my strings to fight back, but prefer them to do this through higher gauge rather than higher tension.

About once a year I try something else, just to make sure that I'm not stuck in a rut. So I'm currently trialling some nickel strings from a small UK manufacturer, but it will be back to D'Addario for the next purchase.

Parker Fly Deluxe...Fender Super Bullets. Had to use these on the Parker because the wraps from any other string at the ball end sat right on the saddle of the low E string. (That saddle sits waaaaay back.)
I rotate the string so that it fits smoothly in the groove of the saddle.

Using 11's, have been using D'Addarios until about a year ago when the discounts stopped, using Ernie Balls now and like them better, wished I'd switched earlier. Slightly fuller sound and last a bit better IMHO.

Using 11's, have been using D'Addarios until about a year ago when the discounts stopped, using Ernie Balls now and like them better, wished I'd switched earlier. Slightly fuller sound and last a bit better IMHO.

I think EB's have more of a 'twang' to them..
D'Ad's sound like they seem to hold back on the highs..
great for dark / warm tones..
personally I prefer the attack from the EB's

On 24.75" scale D'Addario 9-42
On 25.5" scale D'Addario 8.5-38
On 24.75" scale acoustic electric Hamer DuoTone DR Zebras 10-42
On 24.75" scale jazz guitar D'Addarrio chromes 10-46.

Been a long-time user of EB Regular Slinky and Heavy Slinky. Got a few boxes of them yet, so won't be changing brands until I'm done with them if at all. Been, um, I have not idea but well over 10 years of using EBs all the time, every time.

Circle k strings
65 43 33 22 18 13

My own custom sets, this one is for my 25" scale prs in dropped c.

Gauges calculated based on tuning and final string tension. 5th, 4th,4th,4th 4th.

Also all of my strings are at the same tension across the neck, also referred to as balanced.

Back
Top Bottom