Straplocks: Dunlop or Schaller

The rubber washers won't work on all my guitars.

Loxx are my go to, but out of those two, Schaller are the only non Loxx I have.

Cheers
Ant

Loxx eh? I had to look those up;

Amazon product ASIN B005OEBVYQ
Damn! Very highly rated, 4.8 out of 5? Too bad all my guitars are covered already, a little pricey though, $18 for black $28 for gold... Here's a couple reviews that caught my eye:

This does what a strap lock system does and does it well. What I like best about it is that the buttons on the guitar do not stick out as far as competing systems. What I like least about it is the installation process - the wrench provided is too small. I don't care how calloused your fingers may be, to the extent that your guitar is made of a hardwood, it will eventually be difficult to turn the wrench to screw in the button. But the good news here again is that eventually the install does complete and then you can enjoy this wonderful locking system.

I tried 3 different brands of strap locks before discovering LOXX. I will never go back. These are hands down the most secure, easy to use and professional locks I have put on my guitars. Once they are in they are in, the screws are slightly bigger so if you ever take them out to sell the guitar you will have to use glue to get them old ones back in so just be nice and sell it with the LOXX and share the love.

They seen really nice, so it screws in with the supplied wrench and it's a bigger screw, that would be fun going into maple, break out the Burt's Bees Wax. Is it then just that trailer hitch looking ball that sticks out? Will it hold a strap without straplocks on it? See, that's the issue with the Dunlop Flush Mount buttons, If you ever forget the strap with the mates on it, you're screwed every which way.

I had the same issue with the Schallers and lost a headstock due to it (also had the horseshoe being constantly turned upside down) which is why I eventually moved to Loxx. These things wear out as well but I have the impression it's not a sudden total failure like with the Schallers. When I put on the strap I always double check if it's securely locked.

Try the rubber washer from Grolsch beer bottle.

Get to enjoy a good beer and they really do work great.

So popular they have been commercialized for use by guitar players

Ope! Hold on a minute, did you read the reviews? Yo dog check this out:

marcus glasgow

1.0 out of 5 starsThese replacements washers are made of a poor quality rubber that crumbles and flakes
December 3, 2016
Verified Purchase
These replacements washers are made of a poor quality rubber that crumbles and flakes. I had to inspect each of these individually, cut off pieces and remove rubber particles from the washer. If you are using to bottle beer, you may end up with tiny pieces of rubber in your beer.

Other reviews mention inconsistency in the product and that the thickness varies from .05 to .13 inches, in machinist terms that would be a mile, in layman's terms that's a lot, 50 thousandths to 130 thousandths, while they claim to be 100 thousandths or .01. So that'd be +30, -50 tolerance, again that's huge! 60% one way and 100% the other? Shop elsewhere and find some better ones, I know my Jackson's are worth it, wouldn't you spend more for a better rubber washer?! :rolleyes:

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Don't buy these gaskets.
ByChris Kon August 10, 2017

Verified Purchase
The gaskets that were shipped to me are widely varying in thickness and are poorly cut/finished. Also, the center holes aren't centered. Don't buy these/shop around for a better quality product.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with the Schallers and lost a headstock due to it (also had the horseshoe being constantly turned upside down) which is why I eventually moved to Loxx. These things wear out as well but I have the impression it's not a sudden total failure like with the Schallers. When I put on the strap I always double check if it's securely locked.
I've never had the 'horseshoe' turn upside down in the 15+ years I've used them. If they're installed correctly the Schallers won't rotate in the strap.

I don't like either Dunlop or Schaller....had issues with them both.
I don't think any company has 'got it right' yet with strap locks...but I have not yet tried Loxx.

I use washers that look just like those beer bottle rubber disks.
Pull the strip pin off, slide the washer on it, put the strap on the pin, screw it back in place.
Strap never comes off...ever.

I know someone will say that you can't get the guitar in the case properly with the strap on there....but for every guitar I own, I've always found a way.

Ope! Hold on a minute, did you read the reviews? Yo dog check this out:

marcus glasgow

1.0 out of 5 starsThese replacements washers are made of a poor quality rubber that crumbles and flakes
December 3, 2016
Verified Purchase
These replacements washers are made of a poor quality rubber that crumbles and flakes. I had to inspect each of these individually, cut off pieces and remove rubber particles from the washer. If you are using to bottle beer, you may end up with tiny pieces of rubber in your beer.

Other reviews mention inconsistency in the product and that the thickness varies from .05 to .13 inches, in machinist terms that would be a mile, in layman's terms that's a lot, 50 thousandths to 130 thousandths, while they claim to be 100 thousandths or .01. So that'd be +30, -50 tolerance, again that's huge! 60% one way and 100% the other? Shop elsewhere and find some better ones, I know my Jackson's are worth it, wouldn't you spend more for a better rubber washer?! :rolleyes:

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Don't buy these gaskets.
ByChris Kon August 10, 2017

Verified Purchase
The gaskets that were shipped to me are widely varying in thickness and are poorly cut/finished. Also, the center holes aren't centered. Don't buy these/shop around for a better quality product.
This can be done with any product, just quoting negative reviews. I will admit though that they are the first thing I look at when researching a product I'm interested in. By the time I decide to check reviews, the product is something I feel is worth buying but want to know what the potential issues are.

On Amazon, where I found the reviews you quoted, for every one star review of the Grolsch washers there are more than 10 five star reviews. It is also very important to note that none of 1 star reviewers indicated they were using them as strap locks. Context is key.

I've never had the 'horseshoe' turn upside down in the 15+ years I've used them. If they're installed correctly the Schallers won't rotate in the strap.

So what's your secret sauce when installing them ? Pretty hard to do it wrong and still it didn't work for some of us.

Schaller here, never an issue in 20yrs or more...

Like above has said, initially tighten down with a socket (I used that) or something other than fingers, be careful you can tighten it so far as it works its way through the strap hole..

Always position the horse shoe IN LINE, (horsehoe open end to you) going with the straps angle to your shoulders, so it may not perfectly vertical (except for rear of a strat style for instance)

I don't know if it's been luck or whatever, but I've never had an issue following that. I do check nut tightness often though!! They still can loosen!!

Check out new Schaller S locks...

I like the locking feature, though I never had an issue with the original style.

I like the silent feature, though I never had an issue with noise (whether you're using strap locks or not, always turn down the volume before you attach stuff to your guitar).

I'm not a fan of the built-in screw thread. This takes away the ability to adapt neck screws to the button. (Ever notice how often the screws work loose on any type of button? Strap button screws are just too small for the job. Neck screws hold tight!)

So what's your secret sauce when installing them ? Pretty hard to do it wrong and still it didn't work for some of us.
I fold the strap over the sides of the 'horseshoe' for grip and use a wrench to tighten the nut. A second wrench or set of pliers could be used to hold it as well but I've had no problems just using the strap for cushion/leverage.

@BBN Are you using metal washers? If so then I'm with ya brother! But it will be very difficult getting my V shaped guitars into their V shaped cases... Just one caution, if your guitar's made of basswood, or something similiar of a softer one of the hardwoods, you could pull the screw right out, and it won't take 200 pounds of force. My old bass player did it a couple of times. It was a cheap Jackson bass and he put on some Schallers, which did their job except, the Jackson screws were way bigger than the Schaller screws. Shaller used to use smaller, shorter screws. Still, it's wood, and it strips much easier than steel. So stick with what you said;

"I don't think any company has 'got it right' yet with strap locks...but I have not yet tried Loxx."

Check out new Schaller S locks...

Ha! another flaw with the Schallers, they are noisy! Oh wait:

Above, S-Locks eh? Ok so they replaced the nut with one of Liberace rings? (Hey I spelled his name right without looking it up! I looked it up afterward to make sure though ;)). Ok lets take a look...

New Lock-Wheel with unique 3-Step security function:

1. Screw our lock wheel with patented self-locking thread tool-free by hand, you already protect your guitar sufficiently (the round shaping must be facing the pull-up ball!).
  2. Use a 2 mm or 5/64’’ Allen key or screwdriver to tighten it for maximum security.
  3. Use our micro cone-top screw to attach it permanently.
You will never lose your wheel again!

I left out the new button and screw all in one part, hey look it up yourself :p.

I like how they say "self-locking thread tool-free by hand" Ok so it's got me thinking; awesome, no tools needed! but then in line 2 it says "Use a 2 mm or 5/64’’ Allen key or screwdriver" Well that moment of joy was short lived, I hope one of the wrenches for my Floyd works....and "3. Use our micro cone-top screw to attach it permanently" Does anyone see a micro cone-top screw? Do I need a micro tool? I guess I'll have to watch the video...great more time spent. What do these cost? 20 Euros! and 19% VAT plus shipping, that will take 2 to 10 weeks? That's like a hundred US dollars!

I'm just playing devil's advocate here but always remember Murphy's law, and nothing is permanent. But good find Jimmytwotimes! I haven't seen these yet.

The real trick is to hold the horseshoe with something stronger than your fingers when you tighten it.

You haven't been following along, a 5/8" open end wrench or just a self adjusting Crescent wrench will help you out there ;). A box end wrench may do better than a socket for the other side depending what you have, unless you have 3 hands. I literally just put a pair on a strap about an hour ago and the maintenance guy helped me keep the wrench from slipping off and horseshoe from turning. :) This is part of why I like the Dunlops, it's a little tricky but once you get the hang of it they are a breeze to install, and that C or E if you prefer "clip" is not coming off under normal circumstances, ever, until you take it off. I'm a machinist with 15 years of experience and you have my word on it. Wanna see my caliper? I do completely aggree with however if you're careless and don't double check by pulling on your strap, one day it will fail, and you will feel a pain that no guitarist should ever have to feel. You have my word on that too.

@Sonofiam "On Amazon, where I found the reviews you quoted, for every one star review of the Grolsch washers there are more than 10 five star reviews. It is also very important to note that none of 1 star reviewers indicated they were using them as strap locks. Context is key."

Sorry my quote function isn't working, darn wifi. Well of course you found the reviews on Amazon, that's where the link for the Grolsch washers goes :oops:. I was mostly joking in that post but I will say this: "Sorry, but I'm not trusting a rubber washer with one of my guitars, whether it be a $300 or a $3000 one.

Geez I gotta get out of here, besides there's probably been 12 new posts since I started this, and I got a new guitar to check out :p. I personally have no opinion between Schaller and Dunlop, they're both better than nothing. But unless you have a Fender endorsement like Yngwie, I wouldn't trust slinging your guitar around your neck and back and catching it before it goes around again :rolleyes:. Unless it's part of the show, anything for the show ;). Hmm, I wonder how many times "strap on" has been said in this thread? hehehe

I like the silent feature, though I never had an issue with noise (whether you're using strap locks or not, always turn down the volume before you attach stuff to your guitar).

I'm not a fan of the built-in screw thread. This takes away the ability to adapt neck screws to the button. (Ever notice how often the screws work loose on any type of button? Strap button screws are just too small for the job. Neck screws hold tight!)

Right, NOW "quote" works... I think the silent feature is for when you are in the studio making your soon to be platinum record and you move and your noisy straplocks ruin the whole track that took you an entire month to get down. ;) (Geez I should have been a lawyer, or politician :D). I kid.

Excelent point about the built in screw, I assume you mean the button and screw are one meaning you can never change to a bigger screw correct? Something I used to do in order to use larger screws was to put the large screw in the chuck of a drill with the head sticking out, and pull the trigger on the drill and use a file to grind down the head of the screw so it would fit in the small hole of either a Schaller or Dunlop button. Sometimes I had to drill the hole in the button bigger, I mean the small one for the screw shaft not the larger counterbored hole for the screw head. BTW, have you noticed on newer Schallers the button now has a bigger hole?

I thought about what you said about the Dunlop buttons extending out further than the Schallers and I'm not too worried as that hole is counterbored for the screw and it sits in there far enough where it's not the thin screw in comparison to the button that is holding all of that weight, dude. ;)

Haha, I've been watching Yngwie on my phone and he must have done that sling his guitar over his neck thing 5 times in the last half hour, what a showman. :D

Schallers here. Had Dunlops once and didn't care for them and just seemed awkward but like everything else to each their own. I have 6 sets of Schallers and have never had one come loose. I've had the wood screw slowly work out of the guitar. I do exactly as someone above said. Socket on the nut. Open wrench on the horseshoe, and a small dot of blue locktite on the threads.

Back
Top Bottom