Straplocks: Dunlop or Schaller

So what's your secret sauce when installing them ? Pretty hard to do it wrong and still it didn't work for some of us.
One very important step I forgot to mention is trimming the opening of the strap to allow the nut to fully seat against it. I accomplish this by pushing the threaded shaft through the strap opening then, using a razor blade or xacto knife, push against the base of the shaft and slide around it cutting off any strap material that sticks up.

Schaller. I agree with @Rex all the way.

Use a pair of needle nose to grab one side of the horse shoe , to prevent it from spinning. Never had one loosen. I use a thick , wide Levi strap , and I will drill the hole in the leather a little larger , so the threads are exposed as much as possible for the nut of the Schaller.
I'll post a thread just for the wrench I use to tighten the nut. It's worth mentioning.

One very important step I forgot to mention is trimming the opening of the strap to allow the nut to fully seat against it. I accomplish this by pushing the threaded shaft through the strap opening then, using a razor blade or xacto knife, push against the base of the shaft and slide around it cutting off any strap material that sticks up.
Instead of trimming the slot, I use a nail set and a small hammer to tap the leather into position around the threaded post. Screw the nut down tight, and you’re done.

I've used Schallers exclusively for decades now and have a set that have been on a strap for almost 20 years; I find them extremely reliable and the nut stays tight and seats perfectly after enlarging the strap hole as mentioned above...that's what I've always done as well. Tighten with a wrench and your good to go...

Dunlop Dual Design StrapLoks on all my electrics. Years and years, hundreds of gigs, zero failures.

ah my old Studio Monitor buddy :). I'm with ya on those for the fact that if you forget to bring your strap to a gig you can use your bass player's strap because the buttons are also designed to hold a strap without locks on it. ;)

I'm with ya on those for the fact that if you forget to bring your strap to a gig you can use your bass player's strap because the buttons are also designed to hold a strap without locks on it. ;)
^^^ This is so true. And those big buttons hold tight too!

@BBN Are you using metal washers? If so then I'm with ya brother! But it will be very difficult getting my V shaped guitars into their V shaped cases... Just one caution, if your guitar's made of basswood, or something similiar of a softer one of the hardwoods, you could pull the screw right out, and it won't take 200 pounds of force. My old bass player did it a couple of times. It was a cheap Jackson bass and he put on some Schallers, which did their job except, the Jackson screws were way bigger than the Schaller screws. Shaller used to use smaller, shorter screws. Still, it's wood, and it strips much easier than steel. So stick with what you said;

Yes, metal washers....Home Depot bag of 10...for about $2. Covers 5 Les Pauls.
I've always been able to get my guitar into the case, but I can see why it may be tough with a form fit V case.

I also like that it allows me to use the original screw and strap pin that is in the guitar, so I'm not worried about smaller/larger/shorter/longer screw that may come with a set of strap locks.

Back
Top Bottom