Strange Low End Issue - Don't Give Up On Me Folks!

Any comparisons need to be done using the neck pickup.

Whatever it is is amplifying the lows much, MUCH more than it was before.

Post your own DI, so we can run it through our units and post the results?
This. A DI would go a long way in helping resolve this.

Also, I'm not sure why you're on the neck pickup. I have plenty of guitars and presets that fart out when playing chords at high gain on the neck pickup.

This. A DI would go a long way in helping resolve this.

Also, I'm not sure why you're on the neck pickup. I have plenty of guitars and presets that fart out when playing chords at high gain on the neck pickup.

This.
Many people lower the bass side of their neck pickup a LOT, for this very reason. I personally like soloing w/ a neck PU sometimes, but would never expect to get clean, well-articulated notes on the 6th string when doing so using a high-gain sound.
I suspect the problem is not with the AxeFx, or the patch.

This.
Many people lower the bass side of their neck pickup a LOT, for this very reason. I personally like soloing w/ a neck PU sometimes, but would never expect to get clean, well-articulated notes on the 6th string when doing so using a high-gain sound.
I suspect the problem is not with the AxeFx, or the patch.

Yep, I understand. But this issue seems to go way beyond the neck pickup flub issue. The bass side of my Strat neck pup is almost level with the pick guard.

And this occurs on no, low, mid gain as well.

I just recorded a new sample using my Strat (first) then my Suhr (second) - both using the neck pickup.

Here's a link to the DI

Here's the preset
JCM 800 Mod Klon.syx

Attachments

• JCM 800 Mod Klon.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
My brother, break free from the neck pickup, and give your preset a chance to succeed.

Just reamped your DI track through a Mark II, and it sounds identical. Happy to post the track here if you want, but I can't hear a shred of difference.

The preset itself sounds pretty fuzzy and indistinct in the bottom end with the neck pickup on my Godin. I'm a lot happier with the 'Low Cut Freq' in the preamp section set to ~200Hz, and a little bit of delay (~0.02ms) on the left cab block to soften out the highs.

You said a few pages ago that the problem you had was best described as 'artifacts'. I can hear a lot of background buzz in your samples - perhaps you are hearing this interacting with your bass frequencies?

You have some OD and fuzz like effect going on, the bottom end sounds like it should givin that! Try rolling your guitars vol knob off from full to about 6 or 7, then go into amp block under the dynamics tab and experiment with turning up the dynamics a bit and see how that sounds.

Try this one.... Lowered a bunch of low end before the distortion (Basic page only). Way too much low end hitting the power amp section. Dropped one of the cab IRs, stayed with the good old 'Basketweave TV'. added the '57' mic sim (That IR was shot with a 'flat' mic). Added some proximity effect to get back some low end.

Attachments

• JCM 800 Mod Klon (Moke).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 17
I'm very curious to see if the OP is satisfied with this rebuilt preset Moke built. Hell I may load it my damn self and see

I didn't really rebuild it. I just dialed it in a bit more. There was just way too much bass for that much distortion?

Use Pre-EQ to shape the distortion character and use post-EQ to shape the overall EQ.

I didn't really rebuild it. I just dialed it in a bit more. There was just way too much bass for that much distortion?

Use Pre-EQ to shape the distortion character and use post-EQ to shape the overall EQ.

that's exactly what I do...
fix up on the way in to the amp, then re-fix up and sweeten after

Made a major difference, Moke! Here's a quick test I did with my Strat - Neck Pup.

So aside from dropping a Cab IR and adding a '57, you just flipped the "Cut" switch on, lowered the bass from ~3.5 to 2.0, raised the Mids & Treble and then bumped up the "Proximity" in the Cab Block?

So all of the tripping I did was really just because of my own ignorance.

I feel like a bit of a wanker.

Submitting a support ticket, trying to get Cliff and Matt to chime in. Uhhh..

So much to learn and I've been doing this shit for years.

Made a major difference, Moke! Here's a quick test I did with my Strat - Neck Pup.

So aside from dropping a Cab IR and adding a '57, you just flipped the "Cut" switch on, lowered the bass from ~3.5 to 2.0, raised the Mids & Treble and then bumped up the "Proximity" in the Cab Block?

So much to learn and I've been doing this **** for years.

If you found your solution....that's all that counts.

So much to learn and I've been doing this **** for years.

the cut switch does the same thing as the filter I suggested but just a little less strongly
the reason [for a few amp models] I use the filter rather than the cut switch, is because I'll also cut the hi's
this is especially effective for amps that have flabby low's and fizzy highs
so the settings will be: lowcut=700 / highcut=880 [this replicates a tube screamer with the drive at 0]

I had this same issue when I first got my FX and I was on the bridge HB pickup. Every factory setting that was crunch or distortion had the flubby feeling. I was ready to toss it. It turns out that the pre eq and/or low cut and lowering some bass (most of my amp bass are down on 3 with low cut enabled) really cleaned all my distorted tone and made them tighter.

If I haven't said it already, thank you to everyone who chimed in here to help me resolve this issue.

There are some extremely talented people here and I sincerely appreciate you taking time out from your life to give me tips, conduct some tests, share your preset or tweak mine and explain what you did to make it better.

This was an extremely valuable experience for me and I hope it may lead to some new/additional tutorials being produced to help people understand these concepts - basic but critical.

Thanks everyone. First round's on me!

Back
Top Bottom