Still can't seem to find a use for Scenes. Please enlighten me.

This may be a dumb question ..can you still switch scenes without an MFC. I know they can be incrementally changed up or down via midi. But what about choosing a particular scene?

Questions are never dumb. The answer is yes! You can download the scenes mini-manual here:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Scenes-Mini-Manual-1.02.pdf

Page 3 – Scenes and MIDI – has a paragraph right at the top about direct selection of scenes. I have one mode of my Yamaha MFC10 dedicated to direct scene selection; works a charm. Hope this helps.

One other "disadvantage", if you can call it that: You will forget to hit the REVEAL button. You will be at a show. There will be people watching. You'll think you changed scenes when you actually changed songs...

Bank Size set to 0 takes care of that! :)

thanks

Questions are never dumb. The answer is yes! You can download the scenes mini-manual here:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Scenes-Mini-Manual-1.02.pdf

Page 3 – Scenes and MIDI – has a paragraph right at the top about direct selection of scenes. I have one mode of my Yamaha MFC10 dedicated to direct scene selection; works a charm. Hope this helps.

Finally Thank you! I read that again and finally understood the ignore redundant PC message part. Works great. I will use my banks as presets. Im still using an ART Ultrafoot X-15 that I wired for phantom power. I had a bunch of those quadrature encoding strips that run the pedals but Im on my last one. So I guess an MFC-101 is in my future when it gets mangled by a cable. Thanks again.

Im still using an ART Ultrafoot X-15 that I wired for phantom power. I had a bunch of those quadrature encoding strips that run the pedals ....
Where did you get these? I also use an X-15 (works great) but I worry I'll need an optical strip one of these days...

I can do that with one kick of an expression pedal, with the advantages noted above (OK, not modify the output volume but there are other ways to achieve similar) so I still don't see the benefit. Not dissing anyone for using scenes if it works for them; I just don't see any advantages except the ability to switch an FX block's X/Y state (which is pretty cool, I admit).

Just curious whether there's something really useful in Scenes that I've overlooked... :/

Scenes require no extra modifier programming,
Will not incur extra CPU loss to multiple modifiers and controller usage,
Do not require global blocks,
Exhibit no audio gaps if planned out properly.
They also allow you to consolidate up to 8 "like" presets into a single preset.
There is also scene modifiers, which are very ingenious, and are extremely powerful.

I'm not saying your method is bad, but it wouldn't work at all for where you need to jump between 8 presets "out of order," as I have to. For me, Scene's are a requirement. Yes I probably don't "have to" go all out and replicate the original sounds of the cover's I am playing for a few drunks in a local pub/lounge/bar, but at the same time "I do have to," because not only can I do it with the Axe FX II, I want to, and it's the reason I bought this thing. I would have easily over 1500 presets for 250 cover songs though if I didn't use scenes, and it would be a fracking nightmare to organize all that, and set changes.

Like always though, the context in which you are using matter's, as everyone's situation/setup is unique. What works for you, works for you.

Where did you get these? I also use an X-15 (works great) but I worry I'll need an optical strip one of these days...
I originally got them from ART before they ran out. Im sure there is still a supplier out there somewhere. I have wondered if they could be printed on celluloid

This may be a dumb question ..can you still switch scenes without an MFC. I know they can be incrementally changed up or down via midi. But what about choosing a particular scene?

Yes

I have an FCB1010 and an MFC. Both can pick an individual scene.

I use the Roland FC 300 and use scenes. I got the FS 6 pedal dedicated to my up/down buttons.
Always have to start at scene 1 and go incrementally.
I pretty sure its the same for the MFC.

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

orthopedic-shoes.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Different strokes. You can just build individual presets and change them on the fly, or have a multipurpose preset with scenes modifying gain stage, amp, cab, turn on several fx. Both are very quick, and both will get you there. Presets or scenes within a preset, your pick. Just enjoy.

Is it correct that you can only use 1 amp? For example, I can't have 1 amp for scene 1 and then another amp for scene 2 can I?

As it's "inside" a preset you can use two amps. I have a few presets where I'm using a Fender for cleans, possibly an OD or distortion pedal for crunch and then something like a trainwreck or HBE for leads.

All the usual caveats for a two amp preset apply. (lower resolution, extra CPU, etc.)

Is it correct that you can only use 1 amp? For example, I can't have 1 amp for scene 1 and then another amp for scene 2 can I?

Not at all true. You can switch between 4 amps with scenes if you use both AMP blocks and their X/Y states. I don't use X/Y states often, but I do use 2 AMP setups with scenes. Here's an example patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Comet - by iaresee

Scene 1 - Clean Double Verb (but with my PRS' humbuckers it's just on the edge)

Scene 2 - Double Verb with Light overdrive

Scene 3 - Komet at lower volume (absolutely slays)

Scene 4 - Komet at solo volume with some delay

Scene 5 - Special effects for one original we do.

Here's what I don't understand: I use presets, only. However, I have my overdrive, compressor, effects, etc. in an on/off state via the various foot switches on the MFC-101. I often set the X/Y switch to different amps or the same amp but with different settings. In addition, I have three Mission foot pedals connected to control various parameters.

With the above configuration in mind, would I, too, benefit from reconfiguring all of my patches into scenes?

Here's what I don't understand: I use presets, only. However, I have my overdrive, compressor, effects, etc. in an on/off state via the various foot switches on the MFC-101. I often set the X/Y switch to different amps or the same amp but with different settings. In addition, I have three Mission foot pedals connected to control various parameters.

With the above configuration in mind, would I, too, benefit from reconfiguring all of my patches into scenes?

If you ever find yourself wanting to change two or more things at once, that's where scenes really shines. It's not really about what blocks you have available, to me it's how you want to use them.

I use scenes to set up various states for each portion of a song (intro/verse/chorus/solo/etc) that way i step through scenes as the song progresses.

Chris, how do I get around REVEAL? Thanks!

On MFC:
Under setup look at your BankSize. Whatever this is set at will change presets. So if at 5 (default), IAs 1-5 will change presets, but when hit reveal they expose the other the other function under them like changing scenes.

You can change the IAs under Midi and Right x 7 you will see IA01 and can up/down through IA01-IA17, assign whatever function to them. As long as you assign the scene to an IA above your BankSize you won't need reveal.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom