Sticky/crunchy feel to buttons on FM9

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a less than ideal “button press” experience on their FM9? The unit is brand new and I have never had this before on any of my Fractal devices FC6, FC12, FM3, AX8 or FX8 and MFC-101

It is a bit hard to describe other than there is a bit of a “crunchy” feel when depressing a button IF I am not pressing it directly from above. This occurs if I depress the button at even a slight angle….which I have never had before on any Fractal device. It is not all buttons but a number of them. It is almost like a new supplier of foot switches that did not manufacture them a cleanly as the previous supplier.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or if anything can be done?

Thanks,
Derek

Mine doesn't seem to do this. However, when I had those button toppers on like Barefoot Buttons, they would do this. I no longer use those toppers because of that crunch/scratch/grind feel when not pushing directly from the top.

My FC9 and FC12 feel the same. I'm assuming you are using both in the same type of a position. I would think if you altered how it's positioned (raised up higher, etc), then that could alter your angle of attack and make the button feel a bit scratchy.

Thanks for the response. T confirm, I don't have any toppers on (just the default) and I am approaching the switches exactly as I always have for all devices and all devices have been just sitting flat on the floor.

"Grindy" is a good description.

Thanks,
Derek

Mine doesn't seem to do this. However, when I had those button toppers on like Barefoot Buttons, they would do this. I no longer use those toppers because of that crunch/scratch/grind feel when not pushing directly from the top.

My FC9 and FC12 feel the same. I'm assuming you are using both in the same type of a position. I would think if you altered how it's positioned (raised up higher, etc), then that could alter your angle of attack and make the button feel a bit scratchy.
I noticed the same when the FM9 was on the floor and I used the button toppers shaped like speed knobs. I don't have that problem without toppers or when using the mushroom-shaped toppers.

I noticed something similar to what you are describing. The foot switches don't feel smooth, but like there is a bit of resistance to movement that you have to overcome. I could see how having a little bit of sand in the switch would give a similar feeling. I am going to try adding a bit of white lithium grease to the button shafts. This has worked for my FC-6 when it was starting to feel a little sticky on a few of the buttons.

Update: Application of white lithium grease has made the buttons much smoother.

Last edited:
This is news here. Interesting that the mushroom toppers work better than the standard cylinders. Have ordered the mushroom types that will replace the cylinders.

My guess is that an indirect step on a cylinder type may cause binding in the switch well, where as the mushroom topper provides a more directed contact, because of the graduated curvature of the topper.

Oh, but what a great stage effect that would be...
Maybe...but, trust me, it may not be smart to get into that habit...couple days ago some folks were suggesting I had some bad habits...and needed to reassure them one iced coffee and a ⅓ glass of wine a day after dinner does not compute to "bad habits..."

Maybe...but, trust me, it may not be smart to get into that habit...couple days ago some folks were suggesting I had some bad habits...and needed to reassure them one iced coffee and a ⅓ glass of wine a day after dinner does not compute to "bad habits..."
Lithium explosions are not a habit. They happen once, and then stop, by reason of... death. :)

Lithium explosions are not a habit. They happen once, and then stop, by reason of... death. :)
OK. These I've never heard of, likely because of my lack of stage experience. I think I'll stick with what I know instead of venturing into uncharted territory, just to be safe.

If you're referring to anything "battery-related"; my expertise stops there. Never had one happen, and never carry my phone in my breast pocket.

@bleujazz3 you and Rex are speaking past one another. Rex is talking about lithium metal, the pure element. It appears you are talking about lithium carbonate, the anti-psychotic drug commonly referred to simply as lithium. The elemental form of lithium is fairly reactive and can cause explosions upon contact with water.
Oh, well...in college some kids I knew sniped some phosphorus from a display case where it was stored in a stable liquid, and tossed it into a storm drain. ...lit up like the 'Nam newsreels used to describe...pap/flash.

Last edited:
I have noticed this occasionally, especially when pressing a switch while (semi) seated on my guitar stool.

I thought maybe I was just imagining it, but the comment on the angle of attack resonates.

I will try some lithium (grease or otherwise! ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom