Steve Vai Doesn't Like Amp Modeling - Rick Beato Interview

BigMike

Interesting interview. At 7:45 Rick asks him about the AxeFX. Steve Vai says he doesn't care for modeling for live use due to the latency & lack of cut. 9:45 "Can't compete with [the rest of what's going on.]" Apparently he only uses it for the effects.

Ever notice how many guys who profess to not liking modeling just happen to have tube gear endorsements? 🤔
ever realised some of those players endorse any brand, product on the market. these endorsement thing
quite often means nothing…literally nothing. They get a device, pedal, make a video, one post and it ends up on a shelf collects dust.

Not saying this is the case with axe fx and Steve Vai, he still uses it for fx, but this is the truth about endorsement.

In all honesty though, to use it like that eliminates a major part of the equation that we all spend sooooo much time dialing in - amp and cab tone. To have that part of the equation eliminated saves you a ton of room on presets and gets you right to the point of crafting a sound that you can appreciate…

I’ve been working on a stereo and wet/dry/wet rig and really appreciate using it just as an all-in-one effects solution. Eliminating the tone searching and shaping aspect of the axe fx makes it an absolute no brainer for an artist.

ever realised some of those players endorse any brand, product on the market. these endorsement thing
quite often means nothing…literally nothing. They get a device, pedal, make a video, one post and it ends up on a shelf collects dust.

Not saying this is the case with axe fx and Steve Vai, he still uses it for fx, but this is the truth about endorsement.

It means they are paid to promote specific products. So if a fellow is paid to promote a tube amp, he's not going to tell an interviewer that he likes something else.

He seems more open to it for studio use, but mentions the latency & inability to cut through a live mix. I'm pretty sure Synergy isn't paying him to say that. It seemed like his honest opinion (albeit 4 years ago).

In all honesty though, to use it like that eliminates a major part of the equation that we all spend sooooo much time dialing in - amp and cab tone. To have that part of the equation eliminated saves you a ton of room on presets and gets you right to the point of crafting a sound that you can appreciate…

I’ve been working on a stereo and wet/dry/wet rig and really appreciate using it just as an all-in-one effects solution. Eliminating the tone searching and shaping aspect of the axe fx makes it an absolute no brainer for an artist.
Exactly. The obsession over tweaking every paramater in a digtal box to get it where you want it vs. a tube amp which sounds amazing with knobs at noon. It makes sense why Steve does this. At least for now tube amps will be king. Maybe some time in the future (5, 10 years) modelers will have the feel and response of a tube amp.

This is a Screenshot from:

Steve Vai | 2022 Live Guitar Rig | Thomann​

Yes it`s only for Hydra but, he uses it in some way (for now) two amps modeling and two cab blocks, as you can see.

Attachments

• Hydra.jpg
    Hydra.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Latency and lack of cut huh?
Based on where ‘modeling’ is now… stop.
Cut… well, okay.. on stage the guitar cab pushes more ‘air’ than a FR monitor. And cut (cutting thru a mix) has a LOT to do with… midrange. AKA… how your amp setting are, and the power amp punch (which the Fractal can do).

Honestly, IMO, Vai is good, I respect him… but his music and amp tone is not for me. Plus, he’s been endorsed for decades so he’s gonna use that gear.

But in the end, only tube amps really cut it.. because so and so said so. So there. 😄

It means they are paid to promote specific products. So if a fellow is paid to promote a tube amp, he's not going to tell an interviewer that he likes something else.
And what does this mean for you and me, other users….nothing!

Also being paid for a demonstration video is different than ending up on an artist tab of a company’s website with a photo and couple of nice words over the product.

A lof players do it for exposure even they don’t care about the product. And companies don’t care either if the endorsed artist really uses the product or not.

And even if Vai is using Axe just for the fx and not amp modelling, that’s huge….i don’t listen his music, but i do respect him as an artist and he seems like a really cool guy….do i care what he thinks about modelling…interesting to listen but in the end I don’t care.

Last edited:
Exactly. The obsession over tweaking every paramater in a digtal box to get it where you want it vs. a tube amp which sounds amazing with knobs at noon. It makes sense why Steve does this. At least for now tube amps will be king. Maybe some time in the future (5, 10 years) modelers will have the feel and response of a tube amp.
And if these BIG GUYS didn't have roadies I wonder what they would play thru? Tube amps DO NOT RULE. Yes for some it's what they use. Rule?
nope! It's reminds me of the, Pro Tools is the best daw because it's used in studios. It's used in studios because they were pretty much first and all the studios were and are heavily invested in Pro Tools.

And what does this mean for you and me, other users….nothing!

Also being paid for a demonstration video is different than ending up on an artist tab of a company’s website with a photo and couple of nice words over the product.

A lof players do it for exposure even they don’t care about the product. And companies don’t care either if the endorsed artist really uses the product or not.

And even if Vai is using Axe just for the fx and not amp modelling, that’s huge….i don’t listen his music, but i do respect him as an artist and he seems like a really cool guy….do i care what he thinks about modelling…interesting to listen but in the end I don’t care.
Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom