Stereo IEM

Split your guitar path at the end to out2 and connect out2 to the IEM transmitter. Connect the monitor feed from the board to Input2. Use the In2 block's output level parameter and the physical out2 volume knob to mix between your guitar signal and monitor feed.

View attachment 131111

I am shocked that you've been receiving a mono monitor feed this whole time. On the rare occasion I get a mono monitor feed it's just awful compared to stereo. Stereo allows you to pan things out of the center so you can mix your ears like a studio record. You should definitely try sending a stereo feed from the console into Input 2 (make sure In2 is set to stereo mode in the global settings). You'll never want to go back to mono again if done right. Basically everything that can be stereo should be (keys, piano, tracks, guitars, overheads, ambient mics, etc).

Also the industry standard is simply sending a stereo feed from the console to the IEMs with all instruments so once you're running everything stereo I suspect you'll find that all this extra cabling is not worth it. Just run out1 stereo to the console and get your full stereo monitor feed from the console.

Once you have everything running stereo, try adding a second similar amp and cab block, both hard panned, with the enhancer block after it (I prefer classic mode because it's the widest). This gets your dry out of the center which makes a ton of space in your IEMs for all the mono stuff down the center (bass, kick, snare, click, vox, etc).
Hey @strabes Thx for the detailed response.

We don't run FOH in stereo nor do any of us run to FOH in stereo, so I don't want to start a discussion on Stereo vs Mono FOH. I already did that back in 2015 and it's a ballbreaker! I'm in a trio with a stand up drummer on an electronic kit, me on guitar and a lead singer. The rest is on backing tracks.

The PA's we've ever played with, whether wired in stereo or mono, we've always mixed in mono, whether I've mixed or we've had an independent FOH guy mix. As mentioned, I've personally played over 4000 gigs and no one has ever mixed in stereo. Now that that's out of the discussion and you know that I run in mono to FOH, does your advice for me change in achieving a stereo IEM mix to what you suggest above? Or do I simply get myself a small 4 channel desk and run stereo to that from my FM9 and then that feeds my IEM in stereo?

Thx for your response above. Very detailed and helpful

Hey @strabes Thx for the detailed response.

We don't run FOH in stereo nor do any of us run to FOH in stereo, so I don't want to start a discussion on Stereo vs Mono FOH. I already did that back in 2015 and it's a ballbreaker! I'm in a trio with a stand up drummer on an electronic kit, me on guitar and a lead singer. The rest is on backing tracks.

The PA's we've ever played with, whether wired in stereo or mono, we've always mixed in mono, whether I've mixed or we've had an independent FOH guy mix. As mentioned, I've personally played over 4000 gigs and no one has ever mixed in stereo. Now that that's out of the discussion and you know that I run in mono to FOH, does your advice for me change in achieving a stereo IEM mix to what you suggest above? Or do I simply get myself a small 4 channel desk and run stereo to that from my FM9 and then that feeds my IEM in stereo?

Thx for your response above. Very detailed and helpful
👍🏻 all my comments were in reference to IEMs not FOH

👍🏻 all my comments were in reference to IEMs not FOH
I can't get a stereo feed from the console because I'm using an analog desk. 3 x mono aux. I'm sure you're referring to stereo auxs on a digital desk to achieve what you're describing.

The best way for me to achieve a stereo guitar sound in my IEM is to utilise a seperate 4 channel desk. I run out from the FM9 Output 1 L/R into channel 1 and 2 on my desk. Then I take Aux 1 from the FOH desk into channel 3 of my little desk. That gives me all the other instruments. Then I take main out L/R from my little desk into my PSM 200 and I have stereo guitar.

I am loading up for a gig tonight. I will take some axe-edit screen shots when I get a chance. It is easier than it sounds. haha
Basically I am sending my monitor mix through the af3 instead if straight into the PSM. That way I have more control without needing the sound guy to here myself. You still need his help to adjust the overall monitor mix he is sending, unless they offer an app to control your own mix. This is obviously the best case senario.
Hey buddy. I just realised that you haven't sent a pic yet of your setup yes. I was just revisiting this IEM stereo setup post and re-read your post. If you can send a pic of your setup and maybe one preset on your AF3 showing your routing, that would be great!

All of this seems a bit over engineered to me. I guess it depends on what your goal is. After going through these various exercises I ended up keeping it simple. Since, like yourself, my band is all mono FOH, we just configured our board to allow for stereo IEM. The we run our two (L/R) sends from the board into our IEM unit. Then we use the board to adjust how we want to set up our mixes. This allows for panning your other band mates how you see fit. For me, running my effects in stereo wasn’t enough bang for the buck, but running the full band mix in my ears in stereo was the game changer. YMMV. Now I no longer need extra cables or mini mixers. I just run my XLR from the FM9 to the board, run my 2 IEM cables into my psm300 and call it a day.

For me, running my effects in stereo wasn’t enough bang for the buck, but running the full band mix in my ears in stereo was the game changer.
+1 on this. I've used a lot of IEM systems, and the most satisfying were always the ones that allowed me to pan instruments/channels. panning really helps you hear everything you want, but get the volume you want for the most important instruments. For me, I keep my guitar and vocals centered, along with drums and bass as they don't compete too much, but everything else gets shoved to one side or the other if I have the option!

Thx for all the replies guys - it's super helpful.

I just want to explain my story so it can clarify my position. Having played live for over 35 years, in these latter years of digital products, I've always taken OUT 1 L from my Fractal to FOH (as we don't mix in Stereo), and AUX 1 from the desk to Channel 1 of my PSM 200 IEM (which gives me every instrument I want etc + my guitar). I never though about Stereo IEM until I bought the FM9.

The reason I posted my Original question was, that when I'm at home and auditioning sounds for live use, I'm running Output 1 L & R from the FM9 into my Apogee Duet 3 and into my studio speakers and it sounds great. At night so as not to disturb anyone, I use my headphones - and the sound is phenomenal in Stereo! So I began questioning how I could achieve that sound in my IEM as it's the best sound I've ever had - hence the post.

I'll be trying some of the ideas presented here tomorrow so I'll post the outcome. For those who have replied, please note:
I'm using an Analog desk with three sends so I can't use stereo sends or Aux 1 and 2 to send me the mix. We're a trio and we use one send each. Obviously, a digital desk will solve this issue - but I don't have one nor will I be purchasing one.

Thx for everyone's help - much appreciated.

All of this seems a bit over engineered to me. I guess it depends on what your goal is. After going through these various exercises I ended up keeping it simple. Since, like yourself, my band is all mono FOH, we just configured our board to allow for stereo IEM. The we run our two (L/R) sends from the board into our IEM unit. Then we use the board to adjust how we want to set up our mixes. This allows for panning your other band mates how you see fit. For me, running my effects in stereo wasn’t enough bang for the buck, but running the full band mix in my ears in stereo was the game changer. YMMV. Now I no longer need extra cables or mini mixers. I just run my XLR from the FM9 to the board, run my 2 IEM cables into my psm300 and call it a day.
Thx for the reply. I personally don't care about stereo mix from my band as we're a trio - a drummer on an electronic kit, me on guitar, a lead singer and backing tracks. Everything sounds fine in my ears - I just want the stereo guitar sound that I hear in my headphones at home - in my IEM. - the rest doesn't matter.

The PSM 200 is a mono system, not stereo.
Yeah thanks for that. Moke mentioned that earlier and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to it. So if I try some of the methods presented here, nothing will matter because of the PSM 200 being mono? Is it a matter of purchasing the PSM 300? I believe that's stereo.

Yeah thanks for that. Moke mentioned that earlier and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to it. So if I try some of the methods presented here, nothing will matter because of the PSM 200 being mono? Is it a matter of purchasing the PSM 300? I believe that's stereo.
I just looked it up - the PSM 200 is Mono and the 300 is Stereo. Thx for the advice @Moke and @kelso1 - I need to change my IEM monitoring system before I try these methods.

Having just purchased the PSM 300 myself I can agree with those that say once you go stereo in your ears, it's a gamechanger,

Mind you, we just built an IEM rig including a great digital mixer so we each have a lot of control over individual mixes. I'm the only one in the band with stereo IEM 😁 but up until recently, I enjoyed the mono mix too.

If you do end up upgrading your IEM, and do not plan on upgrading your mixer/PA setup, then a small 4ch mixer could be just the ticket for you as you will be able to run the board mix just like you always have, but enjoy stereo FM9. Do it!

Back
Top Bottom