Fractal FM9 stage monitoring with headphones

fvutan

Hi guys,

I just wanted to leave a solution for a problem that I had.
Playing in a live band, I wanted to have my stage monitoring done by wire and headphones using the Fm9.
The solution is quite simple.
I am receiving two XLR (male) cables from the stage mixer. Then I use two adapters from XLR male to Mono TS Instrument cable. The cables are plugged in the FM9 input 2 left and right. This is basically the monitoring itself.
The guitar XLR outputs from the fractal are sent through the OUTPUT 2 connection!.
In each of your current fm9 presents the following changes must be done:

1. The output 1 should be replaced by output 2. So the input 1(guitar) goes to output 2.
2. A new signal line will be defined in the preset. Input 2 - >Output 2.

Now, you connect the headphones to the headphones output and you will hear the monitoring only!.
The monitoring level will be adjusted with the output 1 pot and the guitar level output will be adjusted with the output 2 pot.

If you have any questions, please leave comments.

To give you another idea (which is my setup): if you want to be sure you have your direct guitarsound, and you can get a personal mix, leave out the guitar from the incoming mix. You can use the Performance Controls to adjust the volume of In 3 to taste (or do it with your personal mix app).
1684316915378.png

Thanks md1234,

That's a nice idea also. I was aware of this variant but in general I am afraid that the guy from mixing desk forgets to cut my guitar from the monitoring outputs. By the way, is there a way to may this kind of settings global? In regards to inputs and outputs? I know that we can copy output 1 to output 2 as a global setting. It's a bit time consuming to make this setting for each preset.

I did something similar to this once but also put a limiter before going to output 1 so that I didn’t accidentally get too much volume from the input and blow my eardrums :)

In the end I stopped using it and instead went with and external personal monitor mixer so I could set the levels globally.

Last edited:
Very good advice to have a limiter before the headphone/iem. Any recommendations on which block/type/settings (i assume a compressor with fast attack)?

Hi Guys. I reopen this subject for a different problem:
1. When tuning the guitar, is there a way to unmute output 1 and mute output 2?
At this moment if I tune, I won't hear the band in the Output 1.
2. When changing patches, sometimes there is a delay in the output 1, and for a couple of miliseconds, I don't hear the band also.

Did anyone find a solution for this?

2. When changing patches, sometimes there is a delay in the output 1, and for a couple of miliseconds, I don't hear the band also.
yes, i know it happens but that's how it is i guess... but rumours are the latest firmware for the FXIII has a faster preset switching, so maybe it will get faster when things roll down to the FM9.

1. When tuning the guitar, is there a way to unmute output 1 and mute output 2?
At this moment if I tune, I won't hear the band in the Output 1.
Assign a Control Switch to the Bypass control of both blocks. Set Min/Max on Output 1 to Engaged/Bypassed and on Output 2 set Min/Max to Bypassed/Engaged.

When you press the switch, Output 1 will bypass and Output 2 will engage.
There's always a gap when changing presets. If you need to avoid this you probably want to investigate Scenes. That's one of primary reasons that Scenes were created.

Back
Top Bottom