Steel String Singer or Vox AC-50

AlexGuitar

Inspired
Everyone, I am looking for some advice --- how would you go about approaching the tone of

A.) A Vox AC-50. Seems like a blend between a Vox and a Marshall. The trainwreck models might come close, maybe? Those of you who are well educated on amp circuitry, what settings might you change to get it closer?

B.) Dumble Steel String Singer - I'm even further away on this one. That massive, compressing yet still clean tone eludes me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I'm guessing you're referring to one of the newer AC50's??? My 1966 didn't have a Marshall feel to it. I'm only mentioning this so you get suggestions that will help you get the tones you desire.

Maybe try putting a Vox tone stack in a 50 watt Marshall amp. A friend of mine had an AC50 head that I worked on, but
that's been at least 10 years so my recollection of that amp is nonexistent.

I've never heard or played an AC-50 nor do I know the ins and outs of the amps. However, I think one of the Trainwrecks might be a place to start, try it at a lower gain maybe as they can get pretty heavy.
Then maybe try the 4x12 Beatle cab as I believe that is based on an AC-50.

Just an idea.

If the SSS AMP im trying to buy is epoxied im gonna pass on it if its not epoxied then Ill make a cash offer they cant refuse
and I just had to study Constitutional Law to know how to file summary Judgements in Superior and Supreme courts so when I file claims
I actually win in court.. Which is how I might actually buy one for cash ..
No matter regardless I hear one of the better builders is moving back to Texas and if I have anything to do with it we will be sharing a shop which I will own outright after getting my land patent and superior Title too.
Why he actually makes these type amps now only he does not have the 150 watt transformers I do.
lol and he does not have the Schematics or voltage charts to 005,006,007 but I do.
He didnt believe that I had the transformers sitting here till I showed him now he cant wait to move back to Texas imagine that.?
I kept my Word to Alex and never disclosed those but Alex is no longer with us.

But Im still here......I wish someone would show me how to Tonematch
I asked Austin Buddy but he said that he was busy and it was not what I thought it was.
So I just input the correct voltages and tube compliments in the axe 2 and dialed it right in myself
and I matched my Ultraphonix/Rockfonic amp by ear and input those voltages and tube compliments myself
and I dont need to ToneMatch anymore.

Im very thankful Cliff included the hi lo filters on all amps because that was a huge help.
This only took 43 years to pull off.
I wonder does anyone who lives near Dallas Tx might have an inkling or the time to show me how to properly Tone Match ?
I really dont want a Kemper I was told before I bought axe 2 and 3 they can do that.
Too Bad Austin Buddy is so busy huh ?

Anyway if the SSS comes through and I do buy it then ill take all the voltages and read b+ myself and will record it
like I did the Ultraphonix/Rockfonick amp I own.
BTW the Ultra is the positive sustain side of the SSS and the Rockfonick side is the lead side of the Mega Plx once you put the correct values in and lower that to what Alex used for the Mega plx .
oh well everyones busy.....
Im busy too filing claims in Texas Courts.
Has anyone seen or heard from Funeral John ?
That man is one smart cookie he trained me in axe fx Id like to see him again I live so close to him now he could be here in 30 min vs hours and hours of driving.
Funeral John are you out there message me lets have lunch brother.
Hi, so, if you have all the right parameters to accurately reproduce a SSS in the AxeFx, share the preset!

Last edited:
If the SSS AMP im trying to buy is epoxied im gonna pass on it if its not epoxied then Ill make a cash offer they cant refuse
and I just had to study Constitutional Law to know how to file summary Judgements in Superior and Supreme courts so when I file claims
I actually win in court.. Which is how I might actually buy one for cash ..
No matter regardless I hear one of the better builders is moving back to Texas and if I have anything to do with it we will be sharing a shop which I will own outright after getting my land patent and superior Title too.
Why he actually makes these type amps now only he does not have the 150 watt transformers I do.
lol and he does not have the Schematics or voltage charts to 005,006,007 but I do.
He didnt believe that I had the transformers sitting here till I showed him now he cant wait to move back to Texas imagine that.?
I kept my Word to Alex and never disclosed those but Alex is no longer with us.

But Im still here......I wish someone would show me how to Tonematch
I asked Austin Buddy but he said that he was busy and it was not what I thought it was.
So I just input the correct voltages and tube compliments in the axe 2 and dialed it right in myself
and I matched my Ultraphonix/Rockfonic amp by ear and input those voltages and tube compliments myself
and I dont need to ToneMatch anymore.

Im very thankful Cliff included the hi lo filters on all amps because that was a huge help.
This only took 43 years to pull off.
I wonder does anyone who lives near Dallas Tx might have an inkling or the time to show me how to properly Tone Match ?
I really dont want a Kemper I was told before I bought axe 2 and 3 they can do that.
Too Bad Austin Buddy is so busy huh ?

Anyway if the SSS comes through and I do buy it then ill take all the voltages and read b+ myself and will record it
like I did the Ultraphonix/Rockfonick amp I own.
BTW the Ultra is the positive sustain side of the SSS and the Rockfonick side is the lead side of the Mega Plx once you put the correct values in and lower that to what Alex used for the Mega plx .
oh well everyones busy.....
Im busy too filing claims in Texas Courts.
Has anyone seen or heard from Funeral John ?
That man is one smart cookie he trained me in axe fx Id like to see him again I live so close to him now he could be here in 30 min vs hours and hours of driving.
Funeral John are you out there message me lets have lunch brother.
Ok... I was trying to figure out why your long, minimally punctuated, rambling post style seemed familiar.

Your mention of Funeral John sparked a search... And now I'm pretty certain you are the reincarnation of Tex Axe.

giphy.gif

Cliff you will have to sign for the red label documents as they are chain of command and the postal person wont let them out of sight.
if you dont sign for those then ill send a Process Server who wont ever let off ....
index.jpg
This thread is......3.........2........1

Last edited:
The Vox AC50, it seems to be the AC30 Top Boost preamp paired with a different power section. I expect that setting the power tubes to EL34 and maybe messing with the bias stuff would get similar results.

@Tonefarm i used to enjoy your posts as TexAxe until you always hinted at things but never shared the knowledge either in a reproducible way or as a paid offering.

Why are you causing grief sending legal threats for very flimsy things said on an internet forum?

Perhaps that's one or two reasons why people are leery in your area to help you with a tone match?

@Tonefarm i used to enjoy your posts as TexAxe until you always hinted at things but never shared the knowledge either in a reproducible way or as a paid offering.

Why are you causing grief sending legal threats for very flimsy things said on an internet forum?

Perhaps that's one or two reasons why people are leery in your area to help you with a tone match?
+1000

Hmmm, look who bailed 🤣

Last edited:
If someone else told me something like..

"I drove myself crazy with gear obsession"

I'd laugh, move on, and understand it was a sarcastic comment.

This Tex Axe guy however... If HE told me he drove himself crazy, I am taking him 100% at his word.

Back
Top Bottom