Spillover from patch to patch

grumpops

Inspired
It may be there...It may be easy to do...but...being the midiot I am and this being my first forray into modeling processors....I gotta ask anyway.

Is there a way to get spillover to occur between patches...
And lemme give an example of what I mean.

Let's say you're doin the intro to the 3 Doors Down song "When I'm Gone"...very nice, clean tone buried fairly deep into a flanger...
After that intro verse is sung, the chorus comes out blasting with say a JCM800 Brown...(the name it's got now at least on my Ultra..lol)

When you click from the clean to the chorus tone...there's this distinct, and not exactly pleasing chop off...the chorus/flange and reverb from the previous patch just die there on the floor and suddenly there's this KABAAAAAM of the JCM..

If there was a say, 250 millisecond time when you switch where the sound of the one patch dies out as the new patch takes over....it would sound much nicer...

As I said..I'm sure it's probably in there somewhere, but either the how or the where are eluding me for now...
Perhaps at stage volume it's not really that noticable....

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... _spillover

Having said that, note that the short answer is that the spillover is implemented in a really bizare way on teh Axe-FX. Your patches need to use a redundant delay block, for example, to "receive" the spillover from the previous patch.

So you can't just turn spillover on, and expect every single preset to spillover into every other preset... won't happen. That's one of mybiggest disappointment in the Axe-FX and I sorely miss the dead-easy spillover I used to have with other guitar processors. On the other hand, everything else in the Axe-FX is stellar, so I can't complain.

I was a feared of that...
Oh well...something else for the Cliff wishlist thread I suppose.

If Digitech can do it...Cliff can do it..of that I'm certain....lol

grumpops said:
I was a feared of that...
Oh well...something else for the Cliff wishlist thread I suppose.

If Digitech can do it...Cliff can do it..of that I'm certain....lol

Cliff has commented on it extensively. There are huge limitation to digitechs implementation (you can only use similar algorithms). With digitech and many other effects processors the algorithm choices are fixed. With the axe-fx this is not the case you are free to place any block in any position. This makes spillover extremely difficult. One of the easiest way to do it (similar to digitech 21020s implementation) is to reserve a good portion of cpu and memory to spill over. I think you'll find most here would explode if that happened :D

The one thing Cliff had spoke about is not having a drop out if the routing was exactly the same between 2 patches. I'm not sure if he implemeted that in 9.0
It wasn't mentioned in the release notes but he has talked about doing it prior to 9.0s release.

BTW, you never get a flanger or chorus to spillover. There really is nothing to spillover. Like a pedal or rack when you disable (or just turn the mix to 0 fast) a chorus or flanger it cuts off not fades out. Only if you have it slowly turn the mix down will it fade away.

What you are probably hearing is three thing. Drop out of the patch(very brief), delay and reverb dropping.

What you can do is just use 2 amps/cabs in one patch. You can do exactly what you want in one patch. This is what I do for many of my presets. My foot controller will change preset but my axe-fx will use one. My foot controller issues the command to use the second amp and turn on/off effects for the next section of the songs. You can even have it take 250 ms to do like you want.

Perhaps the problem would be solved by having a short delay (100ms?) between the time the current patch ends and the selcted patch comes online...or being able to set such a delay on a per patch basis...or....or.....or...or this is just wasted energy and since I really love the damned thing...just be happy with what it's giving me...lol

Problem of spillover is you need processor power to "process" it. No way around that. For reverb to spill over you need an instance of reverb to process it. Either you have to add the effect to the preset it spills into or the processor power needs to be reserved in the programming. In which case it only gets used for spillover and is unavailable the rest of the time.

I don't know if this will give you what you want but I use an expression pedal in all my presets to change between two distinct sounds. I find it easier to find with my foot than a button on a footcontroller, and I can make the transition as sudden or as drawn out as I want.

The one thing Cliff had spoke about is not having a drop out if the routing was exactly the same between 2 patches. I'm not sure if he implemeted that in 9.0
It wasn't mentioned in the release notes but he has talked about doing it prior to 9.0s release.

Running on 9.02 here. My main amp patches (about 10 of them) have exactly the same grid layout. Global spillover is on. The bypass mode of the Delay and Reverb blocks (in parallel rows) is Mute In. I get nice spillover of delay and reverb trails this way. And switching between these patches is almost instantaneous, no matter which effects are active/bypassed.

Stringtheorist said:
I don't know if this will give you what you want but I use an expression pedal in all my presets to change between two distinct sounds. I find it easier to find with my foot than a button on a footcontroller, and I can make the transition as sudden or as drawn out as I want.
Same here. I find the spillover feature too demanding to set up and too limited, so I usually try to stay within the same preset for the entire song and use an expression pedal to morph between two different signal chains in the same preset, as stated by Stingtheorist. Not complaining about the Axe, by the way, it does everything else a million times better than any gear out there. Just sayin' that the spillover doesn't work well for me, but morphing in the same preset is actually more suitable to my playing than spillover across different presets.

Spillover is one of the main reasons I bought the Axe. I spent gazillions of dollars on the rack system I had before to make sure I could spillover anything I needed to. I also had some very entertaining conversations with line6 about spillover since I would typically use one of their units as a backup.... they just don't get it. Actually, they *do* get it, but they are trying to stay at the teenage end of the market price-wise, which is where the big sales volume is. Not enough people care so they don't offer it (although the first generation flextone had spillover, because there were two delay lines and the delays were teased out from everything else). If the vetta or one of their floor units had spillover, I'd be much more open to using one as a backup system again.

When I read the axe manual and found the spillover function, that was it, I bought one that day. Initially as a backup to my rig... then it replaced my rig. I find that the spillover function works as well or better than the TC stuff I replaced (and numerous rocktron and digitech units before that in my long road to spillover contentment). So long as you use similar delay types in similar locations between patches it works very well, and with some more intense work you can do some pretty remarkable things that would be very difficult with any other unit. I'm having a field day with crystals effects being fed to delay and spilling that over right now, great synth effects. There are some quirks in terms of going from a very wet patch to a totally dry one, but for the most part I've found it to be pretty easy. Would it be nice to just set it for spillover and it happens regardless? Sure, but you actually have much more flexibility and control this way.

Regarding flange spillover, you get that by placing your flange before your delay. The delay spillover will contain the flange that was fed to the delay in the first place.

Try setting up a "template" patch including blocks for most of the stuff you typically use, and just make certain blocks shunts in the patches where you don't use that particular effect. Then everything is in the same place in all of your patches, just sometimes not turned on. I put my delays and reverbs in parallel in the same places all the time so I never really think about spillover, it just happens for me when I turn it on (and I use it on virually everything). That's basically what's happening in the units where it's "easy"; you can't move anything around at all so they are always in the same place. The axe is much more powerful so you need to do a little more work. But by setting up a template and copying it to every location where you want to create a new patch and tweaking from there, you are basically cloning the "easy" approach.

example:

-----------------------------------/delay\--/reverb\-------/ ----------output to amp/guitar cab
wah-gain-mod-amp-mod-mod/-------\ /---------\-fxl-/---cab sim --output to board

Depending on how many effects you use, you can make it more complicated but this is a good start.

Back
Top Bottom