Wish Spectrum analizer

We all know that FRFR speakers do not sound the same in different stages. It would be nice to have a spectrum analyzer to be able to use the pink noise option of the synth block and flatly equalize the FRFR monitor with 31 frequencies global EQ, so that our preset sounds as similar as possible in each scenario, whether in a closed room or outdoor

you might need to give this another think through. where is the signal coming from that the spectrum analyzer is measuring? from the synth block? if so, it wouldn't matter what frfr you were running through, because the speaker is after the analyzer.

you might need to give this another think through. where is the signal coming from that the spectrum analyzer is measuring? from the synth block? if so, it wouldn't matter what frfr you were running through, because the speaker is after the analyzer.
Synth block-->31 band EQ-->Out 1 to a FRFR speaker
Microphone--> IN 1--> RTA Block

gotcha, but moving the mic a few cm one way or the other across the cone is going to give you a different reading. the best way to do it is with your ears, imo. play some music through the axe and use the global eq we already have to get a nice balance. if it's something familiar, you'll hear straight away of there's too much bass, for example. i have to say, in the hundreds of gigs i've done with my frfr speakers, i've never once tweaked the global eq. any differences from stage to stage have been pretty minor and you can mitigate some problems by not placing them too near the wall, or in a corner etc.

Not saying it's a bad idea but is there even enough processing power to add an SA block?

As was said before…

Be careful what you wish for... CPU is not the only resource to consider. Adding any new blocks to the FM3 might mean it wouldn't have room to add future updates -- things like Cygnus, or the new Delay Commander or recent compressor changes.

CPU and memory are constrained on the FM* units in comparison to the FX3.

Well...sound engineers configure the sound equipment using pink noise, they apply an equalization to the system and leave it as flat as possible, we should do the same with our FRFR because they do not sound the same depending on an open outdoor stage or closed.
Right now, I do this whole operation on my laptop using a program called Smaart and my measurement microphone. I send pink noise to the FRFR monitor and equalize the monitor depending on the type of stage and I usually use a different preset with an EQ at the end depending on whether it is a stage, rehearsal space, home, open or closed.

Well...sound engineers configure the sound equipment using pink noise, they apply an equalization to the system and leave it as flat as possible, we should do the same with our FRFR because they do not sound the same depending on an open outdoor stage or closed.
Right now, I do this whole operation on my laptop using a program called Smaart and my measurement microphone. I send pink noise to the FRFR monitor and equalize the monitor depending on the type of stage and I usually use a different preset with an EQ at the end depending on whether it is a stage, rehearsal space, home, open or closed.
That's why you need an anal-izer! (I'm sorry, I just could not resist! 😃 )

This is best done at the mixing position with a proper mic and RTA. A lot of mixers have an RTA built in for this purpose.

You dont want to EQ your speakers completely flat. There are many target curves out there. I like Harmon or JBL target curves. Once I tune my system to a venue and save the show it's pretty much spot on from that point on.

Here's a curve that works well in most cases. I tend to pull down 250hz a bit more but this curve is punchy and pleasant to listen too for long periods of time. I may also bring 1-3k up so it's flat.

1707083581950.png

I'm interested in a spectrum analyzer but for a different reason. I'd like to place it as the last block and see what the signal looks like to help with EQ'ing. For my purpose, this could be a tool provided by the FM9 editor, not the FM9 itself.

Steve

I'm interested in a spectrum analyzer but for a different reason. I'd like to place it as the last block and see what the signal looks like to help with EQ'ing. For my purpose, this could be a tool provided by the FM9 editor, not the FM9 itself.

Steve
As mentioned in your thread, it's not possible without the hardware. Audio doesn't route to the editor...

Steve
Couldn’t you use the FM9 as an interface and use a spectrum analyzer in a DAW or something similar?

Back
Top Bottom