Speaker Drive and Thump appreciation thread!

What settings do you prefer for those parameters for totally clean sounds, with Fender and Vox amps?
Do you leave speaker drive turned off for clean sounds?
Haven’t gotten there yet to test - but I suspect the speaker comp will be lower, maybe less than 1.0. Probably would start with no Speaker drive.

Almost the default settings :)

Yes indeed...aside from using a bit more Speaker Compression on my dirtier sounds the defaults work very well for me. I've done some fairly extensive testing/tweaking of these parameters getting to know them and will continue to do so, but am happy with the defaults. Definitely well chosen starting points. I find you only need to make small, subtle changes to these parameters to hear/feel differences, and it's pretty easy to 'overcook' the dinner here....

I've also done a lot of A/B-ing the same preset, one with all of those parameters enabled, and the other with some dialed out, etc. to compare things and it's crazy how much life this new stuff adds.

I find I like speaker drive on Marshall/Friedman types closer to 3 (actually 3.2).

Fender/Vox types are fine around the default of 2.

Speaker compression just enough to show a slight movement down on the graph in Axe-Edit but not much more.

I have yet to form much of an opinion on the thump parameter. Seems to me just a touch is fine--less than 1 from what I have gleaned so far but I haven't messed with it in a band situation yet and I couldn't care less about "amp in the room".

Not much of a high gain guy, so no comment on what works best for those.

What I notice with speaker thump is that it adds weight to the higher notes of the guitar. I have always been a huge Fractal fan. I have been gigging with Fractal modelers since 2013 or so. I always found there was always a thinness in the sound when you play higher notes. I could never seem to dial it out and it was never a big problem, so I just looked past it. When I turned the thump parameter to about 1.5 or so the thinness is gone.
I have struggled with this with any modeler, and with some tube amps. By far the SIC and thump seem as important as which cab/IR you chose/blend. Sweet Jesus it sounds so good.

To add body to the higher notes I use a PEQ boosting around 450Hz with the gain linked to the pitch follower, so it only pumps up that frequency at the higher notes. This is very efficient.
View attachment 104991

Adjust Mid, Scale and Offset to decide at what note you want it to start pumping, and the ramp
View attachment 104992
There is no need anymore to use thick gauge strings to get a fat tone at the higher notes

Place it before the AMP
I tried this, but it gets false triggered by things like pick scratches and can be troublesome.

I tried this, but it gets false triggered by things like pick scratches and can be troublesome.

You can see that it can be momentarily triggered by some transients if you are looking at the graph, but you should compare the audio result engaged and disengaged, and see if it is really troublesome. It is not for me.

I am gravitating to these settings for Marshall amp models with my Atomic NEO CLRS:

Speaker Compress at 2.0
Speaker Drive at 2.0
Speaker Thump at 2.5 (or less if you play really loud).

I wasn’t a big user of the older speaker comp, I felt then it took away from immediacy of response to playing and set it at zero. But the more recent version is great and softens the attack up just right and playing feels a little less stiff than when set to zero. I’ll probably make these above changes universal in future TonePack updates, depending on the amp.
Is this for just using an FRFR live or would you use these settings when recording too?

You can see that it can be momentarily triggered by some transients if you are looking at the graph, but you should compare the audio result engaged and disengaged, and see if it is really troublesome. It is not for me.
Raking the pick across the strings can definitely set it off. It is a cool and valued trick, either way. Just have to make sure how you play when you use it. I am using a version of this with the delay input gain, and loving it.

What is the speaker thump default? I updated from 20.00 to 20.03. Speaker thump is set to 0, what is the default I should set all to for a starting point, or is it 0?

Just starting to dig in with this since FM9 3.0 beta. The correct setting for thump seems to vary a bit with volume and amp model. Same with Speaker Drive and Comp. Have started with the BF Dlux Verb, the Supro, and the Bludojai Lead and am starting to get them dialled in. They sound really good through the YA Deluxe 1x12 Oxford IRs. The Supro, in particular, really likes the P90 Fralins in my green PRS....

Just starting to dig in with this since FM9 3.0 beta. The correct setting for thump seems to vary a bit with volume and amp model. Same with Speaker Drive and Comp. Have started with the BF Dlux Verb, the Supro, and the Bludojai Lead and am starting to get them dialled in. They sound really good through the YA Deluxe 1x12 Oxford IRs. The Supro, in particular, really likes the P90 Fralins in my green PRS....
Continued on to tweak in a 59 Bman Bright, and a Marshall Plexi preset I have that is set up with a volpan at its input for old school rhythm/lead changes. Starting to see a pattern for what works at the volume I play.

Speaker...
Thump: 1.7
Drive: 2.0-2.5
Compression: 2.0-3.7 and 2000ms (kinda 'slow')

Seems to just work....

You may not need speaker thump in recording. But you can handle that at that DAW level using a low cut in the DAW mixer itself on the track to make it sit best in a mix.
Thanks. I do like compression and drive at 2. will help in sitting in a mix.. I’ll leave the thump for live applications.

What is the speaker thump default? I updated from 20.00 to 20.03. Speaker thump is set to 0, what is the default I should set all to for a starting point, or is it 0?
Also reseting the amp should set Drive, Thump, Compression at their internal defaults. You can then save or not save the preset as desired.

Also reseting the amp should set Drive, Thump, Compression at their internal defaults. You can then save or not save the preset as desired.
When you say reset the amp block, couldn't just double click on those 3 settings in Axe Edit to set them to the new defaults rather than resetting the whole block and changing your gain/b/m/t, etc. back to what you had?

When you say reset the amp block, couldn't just double click on those 3 settings in Axe Edit to set them to the new defaults rather than resetting the whole block and changing your gain/b/m/t, etc. back to what you had?
Yep you can do that in Axe-Edit. I was talking about on the front panel if not using the editor.

Back
Top Bottom