Sorry but I have to say it... JC120

Ok here's a hack sample, something for you to get an idea, no serious playing here; and a little chorus at the end of course. This is with the RedWirez JC 120 IRs, SM57 CapEdge 1" and R121 Cap 3" https://soundcloud.com/michael-aschoff/jazz-120-test I rolled through my pickups, MV at 10.

I played this amp once when I was a kid so I recall it playing a little differently but would love to know people's opinion of the amp model.

My first impression on the AF2's JC120 is it is too low in volume (barely audible) so I turn up the master volume, as stated earlier put it to 10 because the original JC120 didn't have a master volume. A few days ago I tried to make a clean jc120 chorus preset, ended up not liking what I wound up with and didn't bother to save it.
Sorry not much experience with those amps other than they have been used by many artists that need a clean amp tone.

This was my only complaint with the Jc model. It was too low in volume and will clip if I try and raise it high enough to compete with my other clean presets. I'm put in the position of having to lower all my other presets to match this lower volume...so I just move on from the JC to another clean model.

This was my only complaint with the Jc model. It was too low in volume and will clip if I try and raise it high enough to compete with my other clean presets. I'm put in the position of having to lower all my other presets to match this lower volume...so I just move on from the JC to another clean model.

This worked for me, input on 1.00, Master volume on 10.00, add a volume block right after it and increase volume +15db. (This is 11.0 or 11.01) this brought the level up to where my other patches are and no clipping. I'm also using an IR of my JCM800 lead series 4x12 cab loaded with original celestion G12-65's.

I haven't loaded 11.02 yet though so this may be too much with the tone stack change.

Thats one thing I will say about Cliff that is amazing ,(an people should ask a lil nicer) If there is a complaint about a model you know he is going to look at it .
He may not address it by responding right away but he is reviewing it

If its something that was corrupted in a firmware update it will be corrected
If it someone saying they own a certain amp and the Axe isn't close ,it going to be investigated.
I've seen it time and time again Recto's Diezels etc .He Watches the boards and does see the people struggling with a tone, and is on it fast .
Case in point , this thread and the Mark II that was just redone after Sean Ashe said he didn't feel it was close to the real mode on his mark V

I've never really given the Jazz Chorus any time before, so I checked it out tonight. Input Drive at 5.00, Master at 10.00 got me plenty of level without clipping the output (-8.00 on the Level). I took the Bass way down (1.60) and the Treble up (7.00) and really liked it. Very punchy, solid state response. Loud, clean, and punchy. I liked the Double Verb Producer Mix cab (Factory 91) best with it. Added the analog stereo chorus & decided it was a keeper. Sweet!

I've never really given the Jazz Chorus any time before, so I checked it out tonight. Input Drive at 5.00, Master at 10.00 got me plenty of level without clipping the output (-8.00 on the Level). I took the Bass way down (1.60) and the Treble up (7.00) and really liked it. Very punchy, solid state response. Loud, clean, and punchy. I liked the Double Verb Producer Mix cab (Factory 91) best with it. Added the analog stereo chorus & decided it was a keeper. Sweet!

Can you put your preset on axe change, I have been looking for a good JC120 preset for awhile.

Added Overdrive control to TX Star Lead model. Fixed wrong cutoff frequency.
Fixed wrong tone-stack type in Jazz 120 model. Added correct “Jazz 120” tone-stack type to available selections.

I like the real JC120 tone. Clear as a bell, and like said earlier, with the drive set low, it will not break up with humbuckers no matter how hard you hit. Instant metallica is a good description. :) I'm happy to check out this new 11.02 tonight.

I have the JC110, the 2x10 "little sister" of the JC120.

I really dig the clean, chorus and distortion of that amp.

It is a unique sound for sure as compared to conventional Fender, Marshall type amps.

It's really very musical to play though despite being SS.

One of my favorite all time tones is 335 -> EH Big Muff -> JC110.

Nice! I have a JC-120 and my first reaction to your clip was "yep - sounds like the real deal!"

I'll have to do a side by side when I get home. Cheers and loved your Pete Thorn Cab clip too - snarley! :encouragement:

I never spent a lot of time on JC because I never liked the model so much, but I've to say that after the update to Fw 11.02 it sounds very good!!! :encouragement:
Really balanced and clear at any volume (now there's a lot of volume IMHO) also with the stock RW IR's. I use a PRS Custom 24 with splitted HB...now is one of my favourite clean.
Great FAS ;)

I've owned the JC120 for 36 years, & I like it. The chorus is just "Delicious" I think the distortion is smooth & tight, & the cleans are well, clean. So its not a tube amp bfd. It sounds great to me. As far as the FX2's JC120 I havn't played it but in passing, cause I'm playin all the other amps I've never owned.

I've owned the JC120 for 36 years, & I like it. The chorus is just "Delicious" I think the distortion is smooth & tight, & the cleans are well, clean. So its not a tube amp bfd. It sounds great to me. As far as the FX2's JC120 I havn't played it but in passing, cause I'm playin all the other amps I've never owned.

You need to play the Axe version & tell us how it compares! :)

You must be the very first person who likes the onboard distortion of the JC 120. :)
It's among the most terrible overdrives I've ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom