Song for the movie "Brutal" finished-Axefx2 hybrid set up

guittarzzan

Inspired
Hi guys,

Just got my little tune back from mastering tonight after a day of delivering late xmas packages for UPS. (That's right...UPS...you can blame me for everything Cliff :)

My friend just finished filming a suspense/horror movie titled "Brutal" and I wrote this song based on the script. The story is a father getting revenge on the guy who raped and murdered his daughter. It's not a feel good tune...but it sort of rocks I think. It will be the end credits song. I'm a nobody songwriter in Portland, Or so I'm hoping the movie isn't a total flop. I'm not quitting my day job. :)

All the guitars were recorded Axefx2 (power amp off and no cab sim) out to either a Randall Rt2/50 or Lexicon Signature 284 then to a Mesa 2x12 cab dual mic'd.

I'm not down on the direct thing at all. This is just the set up I've found I like the best. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who can get way better tones going direct.

The bass was also Axefx2 with a fair amount of distortion added. It was run direct out to a Distressor,then to an Anamod before the Avid 8x8 a/d.

I did everything on the song except the drums. My skills as a finger drummer can't compete with the real thing. :)

I hope you like it and welcome any constructive criticism. I am constantly trying to get better and better quality recordings so I have no ego about this stuff. If you have a tip, throw it at me.

Thanks for listening and Cliff, thanks for putting your heart and soul into something that actually inspires me to create and gives me all the tools I need to do it.

cheers,
Steve
320 bit mp3
24 bit/48k wav

Last edited:
That my friend was freaking awesome.
Beyond even the tones the arrangement, the vocals ,the solo .Really really good .reminded me a bit of Sixx AM.
What was coolest is even the lyrics didn't get graphic and you keep the song with an upbeat groove and commercial sounding..
Vocals were awesome to

again killer I would buy this

That was awesome. All around. I mean it. I would love to hear that on the radio. It is really, really good.

Awesome stuff man! ;) totally diggin it! ;) great stuff, well written, great leads, vocals everything! I won't doubt this would make some decent radio air time at all.

I found the reverbs a little metallic for my tastes, but that's something I've been wrestling with for years myself :/

Hope to hear MUCH more great stuff from you Steve! ;)

dude i really like your voice. you should def. do more. Seriously i could listen to something like that on a album. Really liked the intro.

Last edited:
...... it would have sounded like two fat guys wrestling in a giant bowl of pudding. Not pretty! :)

Well, if you mean to copy me, then you missed as this tune rocks and no way are you to be considered "...a nobody songwriter in Portland, Or ". Your song would make me stay for the end credits, because it is superb!! Don't waste your talent and gifts; as a composer, singer and player. Well fricking done!! Bravo!!!

this sounds fantastic! The solo was really good! Hah, I always look for the solo :roll
Great production!

Thanks for listening and for the kind words guys. I lose perspective when I'm entrenched in a song and never really know if it's going to end up a gem or a turd so I'm glad to hear it at least doesn't blow. :)

cheers,
Steve

Can't wait to see the movie now. I feel the sound track really makes a great movie...and this tune really intrigues me based on the plot. Awesome!

Can't wait to see the movie now. I feel the sound track really makes a great movie...and this tune really intrigues me based on the plot. Awesome!

Well, I wish I could say I think the movie is going to be great, but I saw the first cut last week and, as much as I hate to admit it, my guess is it will be straight to dvd/blu-ray or maybe on the Lifetime channel at 3am on a Tuesday. :) They've made a bunch of changes since, but not sure if that will save it. I just hope my friend makes a little money from the movie when it's all said and done because he's broke and has a little one.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom