Something strange is going on with my sound

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me with this one

I turned on my fm3 yesterday and noticed that every preset now sounds harsh, brittle and when i use my speakers something is going on with both reverb and delay.

And also now when i play any note on the guitar it feels different like the guitar doesnt respond like before...

I already checked output is on Stereo.

it happens on every guitar i have Suhr S2 pro, Suhr telecaster, Fender American Strat Deluxe...

I reset the unit many times, tried with different cables with different capacitance, tried with 2 different headphones so with headphones there shouldn't be any feedback (audio technica and beyer dynamic Dt770)

Could it be something on the main grid?

I am thinking only about that since i dont understand why the squaling noise is coming through my headphones and with low volume.

Tried all the options in the settings menu and reset it many times, installed again firmware and presets, still the same...

Here you have a clip so you can listen

If you notice even when i play the squealing continues.

thats the preset 000 59 bassguy and before yesterday it never did a squealing high pitch noise and sound brittle like now...

Of course if i Start working with the noise gate the squealing disappear but the sound of every preset is still brittle there is no warmth anymore and the delay and reverb sound very different even on the headphones.

Many thanks to anyone that can help with this

To get a better idea whats going on and to see if this problem is happening in general or especificily on your unit - could you please share the preset ?

Does it happen when you connect through Input 2 (using an Input 2 block on the grid)?

Does it happen when you connect through Input 2 (using an Input 2 block on the grid)?
Yek I did this hope you can help me because i dont understand.

I turned the main power grid of the flat off. and suddenly the fm3 is sounding perfect again.

I cant believe that there is interference in the power grid.

my question is: does a furman solve this problem?

thanks a lot to everyone to the fast replies.

you are going to be amazed to know that i turned off the main power of the flat turned it back on and now the feedback is gone and the fm3 is sounding perfect as always.

does anyone know if a Furman solves this? I dont know how is going to last working (if i need to restart my main power grid every time)

Again many thanks to everyone for the fast replies

Dude, always use a Furman.... for $80 you can have clean power and protect yout Gear$.

Never had to use it for the FM3, but I live in a residential house. I use Furman or isolated power for literally every other musican device.

When you say your “main power grid,” do you mean the power for your entire flat, or something else?

If so, then I suspect that a device in your flat was causing interference. When you killed the power, that device stopped working. When you restored power, the interfering device either didn’t resume causing interference, or it didn’t power up at all.

If this was, indeed, interference traveling through the air, then a Furman will do nothing to stop it.

When you say your “main power grid,” do you mean the power for your entire flat, or something else?

If so, then I suspect that a device in your flat was causing interference. When you killed the power, that device stopped working. When you restored power, the interfering device either didn’t resume causing interference, or it didn’t power up at all.

If this was, indeed, interference traveling through the air, then a Furman will do nothing to stop it.
exactly that. the main power for the entire flat. the big box (the automatic cut-off of the flat)

but now the problem is each time i turned off the fm3 does the same problem and even with everything disconnected in the flat (fridge, oven, etc)

the only solution is restarting the entire power from the flat from the main box and turning back on the fm3 and then it gets fixed.

its driving me crazy.

Any possible solution?

As you can hear on the audios is not something I am inventing, its actually happening and its driving me crazy.

many thanks again

You say flat , you mean house ,apartment .try plugging in at a different outlet somewhere else in the flat and I’m figuring your talking about the main breaker in the panel box . It sounds like a ground problem, but I’m pretty sure your not in USA and I have no clue what your power is , maybe go to a friends house and try to see it the same thing happens , that will give you an idea if it’s your electrical wiring in your flat or the FM3, bad cords can do that too

You say flat , you mean house ,apartment .try plugging in at a different outlet somewhere else in the flat and I’m figuring your talking about the main breaker in the panel box . It sounds like a ground problem, but I’m pretty sure your not in USA and I have no clue what your power is , maybe go to a friends house and try to see it the same thing happens , that will give you an idea if it’s your electrical wiring in your flat or the FM3, bad cords can do that too
I live in London. Yes its a flat. tried all the outlets. its not the fm3 happens also with my focusrite using any amp sim. this is 240v and 50 hz.

I would quit running the unit at your place until you figure if something is wrong with the power.
the funny thing is that everything else works fine its only the fm3 and the focusrite when i try to use it with an amp sim. I am pretty sure if i call an electrician we would look me with a funny face if i start talking about EMI and radio freqs.

still thinking if i should buy a Furman or if that is actually throwing money and is not going to solve the problem...

Does it still do it with the guitar and cable unplugged?
Single Coil pickups?
Is the 'AC Line Frequency' in the 'Config' menu set to 50Hz?

Last edited:
Does it still do it with the guitar and cable unplugged?
Single Coil pickups?
nope if I disconnect the guitar it does not do any noise.

tried with all my guitars both Humbuckers and single coil and its the same. with all 3 guitars and different cables

is not a 60hz cycle noise is actually a high pitch squealing noise that has more volume than the guitar actually and it also affects how the fm3 sounds, sounds brittle and the fx like reverb and delay sound totally different also like if they are more in the background.

the only thing that solves it is restarting the circuit breaker from the main panel of my flat. (honestly still a wonder for me)

nope if I disconnect the guitar it does not do any noise.

tried with all my guitars both Humbuckers and single coil and its the same. with all 3 guitars and different cables

is not a 60hz cycle noise is actually a high pitch squealing noise that has more volume than the guitar actually and it also affects how the fm3 sounds, sounds brittle and the fx like reverb and delay sound totally different also like if they are more in the background.

the only thing that solves it is restarting the circuit breaker from the main panel of my flat. (honestly still a wonder for me)
Sounds like something on your circuit is running intermittently, and adding noise to your electrical system. Resetting the breaker shuts it off for a while, but when it starts back up, the problem returns.??

Can you investigate this to see if something is running, only when the noise is present?

Computers, monitors, fluorescent lighting, lighting dimmers, refrigerators, air conditioners, fans, outlets not wired correctly, etc...

Back
Top Bottom