Something is wrong here...can't get any good tone

Itachi12 said:
Yamaha MSP 5

Lets see... 40 watts into a 5" speaker to simulate a 4x12 cab..... yeah it should be just fine.

:roll:

OK, seriously, you should still get some nice tones out of it
but don't expect it to have chest pumping bass or any other low end response.
And don't expect it to sound like a 12" guitar cab in the room.

;)

Back to basics, must check list:

- On the I/O menu do you have "Analog Front" selected as your input?

- Is the Input1 level set so that the red LED blinks occasionally?

- Is the Output1 set so that in your DAW you are getting as close to 0dB as possible?

- Did you try the "Naked amp" presets as I suggested earlier? (download link below)
download/file.php?id=865

:?:

Also might be worth checking that you are running stereo on the outputs, could be some kind of phasing issue?

I would give it a week or 2 before you adjust to playing FRFR I had to think about things differently in that to some degree you are emulating a mic'd cab and not standing in front of one, if you can get your head around this and keep at it I'm sure you will love it. I wouldn't suggest trying too many other peoples patcheas to begin with as most were created on old firmware and will sound very different on and up-to-date AxeFX. I too find that using other users patches very rarley works for me I like to get an amp (maybe with drive) a cab and then usually add a reverb and then play around until the core tone is there. Again this is just how I work and each to their own, after some time with the axe you will get your own method for creating sounds that work for you :)

Spence

AndrewSimon said:

- Is the Output1 set so that in your DAW you are getting as close to 0dB as possible?
:

Not sure if this is a good advice. It's pretty much recommended to track in the vicinity of -12db, sometimes even -18db on recent recording articles I've read.

Deltones said:
AndrewSimon said:

:

Not sure if this is a good advice. It's pretty much recommended to track in the vicinity of -12db, sometimes even -18db on recent recording articles I've read.

We are not talking about studio setup with dynamic high SPL miced rig.
We are just trying to pump those little 5" 40w woofers so he can "see the light".
We need every miserable dB he can get.
At -12dB he will be down to 2.5Watt out of the 40 available :eek:

;)

cabs, cabs, cabs!
Both the sims and the ones you listen to. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You will need to take some time to find the cabsims you like best. I know the Cali is pretty popular but I think it's too bright. My fave is the German, combined with some other sim that adds a bit of bite, V30 or 25W. I run mono so pan both blocks to center.

But it seems odd that you can't find a ny tone remotely usable in the presets. At least after dialling back some of the too strong effects... I found a lot of them quite usable after some slight tweaking.

BYPASS THE ENHANCER! Just to see if you like it on any and every preset it's used on. I never like it, but some people do. I think it adds a nasal effect to each tone and it certainly creates havoc whenever you sum both channels to mono somewhere, either within or outside the Axe-FX.

The OP states that the Speakers are connected directly from the Axe outputs, and therefore do not go via any DAW or computer.

Is it possible that you have the Axe-FX output knobs too high and you are clipping the input on the speakers? The Axe can put out a pretty high level so try lowering the output level knobs a little and see what happens - Obviously the speakers have no input level on them. just a thought. By way of reference, Into My PA Mixer, I have the Axe output knob at 9PM and the input gain of my mixer also at 9PM - any higher and it clips.

good luck.

Deltones said:
AndrewSimon said:

:

What would that gain you on a digital system except loosing headroom? Yeah, 24 bits is a lot of headroom but why waste if there is not a reason.

Thanks for all your responses :)
AndrewSimon said:

- On the I/O menu do you have "Analog Front" selected as your input?

- Is the Input1 level set so that the red LED blinks occasionally?

- Did you try the "Naked amp" presets as I suggested earlier? (download link below)
download/file.php?id=865

Yes, Yes, I don't use it with DAW, I will try them as soon as possible :)
xpenno said:
Also might be worth checking that you are running stereo on the outputs, could be some kind of phasing issue?

I would give it a week or 2 before you adjust to playing FRFR I had to think about things differently in that to some degree you are emulating a mic'd cab and not standing in front of one, if you can get your head around this and keep at it I'm sure you will love it. I wouldn't suggest trying too many other peoples patcheas to begin with as most were created on old firmware and will sound very different on and up-to-date AxeFX. I too find that using other users patches very rarley works for me I like to get an amp (maybe with drive) a cab and then usually add a reverb and then play around until the core tone is there. Again this is just how I work and each to their own, after some time with the axe you will get your own method for creating sounds that work for you :)

Spence

I'm doing that with all the patches I'm creating: I got some great Rhythm and Clean sounds starting with Amp---Cab and then adding something little by little, but when I come to the point of playing some lead, I always get that problem, with every setting/eq/amp-cab model.

javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
What would that gain you on a digital system except loosing headroom? Yeah, 24 bits is a lot of headroom but why waste if there is not a reason.
You gain protection against clipping. But AndrewSimon has it right; that's reasonable for dynamic and unpredictable sound sources, not the relatively compressed signal of your friendly digital guitar device. It's not just "recent articles" either, that was the recommendation back when I was studying digital field recording.

If I was going analog, I'd track with peaks at about -6dB.

Beefcake said:
javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
You gain protection against clipping. But AndrewSimon has it right; that's reasonable for dynamic and unpredictable sound sources, not the relatively compressed signal of your friendly digital guitar device. It's not just "recent articles" either, that was the recommendation back when I was studying digital field recording.

If I was going analog, I'd track with peaks at about -6dB.

Right I was speaking about this particular instance, -6db sounds about right to me. You will always adjust to the dynamics of the input signal. But, there is no reason to limit headroom if it really isn't necessary.

javajunkie said:
Right I was speaking about this particular instance, -6db sounds about right to me. You will always adjust to the dynamics of the input signal. But, there is no reason to limit headroom if it really isn't necessary.

hey when you use the s/pdif to get the axe into your DAW do you need to worry about levels anywhere if nothing is clipping on the axe itself?

rsf1977 said:
javajunkie said:

hey when you use the s/pdif to get the axe into your DAW do you need to worry about levels anywhere if nothing is clipping on the axe itself?

You can still clip in your DAW.

javajunkie said:
rsf1977 said:
javajunkie said:

You can still clip in your DAW.

I'm a noobie to recording lol, how do you know if you are or aren't i'm using DP6

Jase2677 said:
Itachi12 said:
Hello guys, I'm a bit in panic or something like that.
I received my long-desired Ultra 2 days ago and spent about 24 full hours already tweaking with it.
Even if I'm not a world-class tweaker, I think I can at least make my way through this kind of things.
I can't really get any very good tone! And either use some of the great patches I hear on the net , which I try to use but sound absolutely horrible.

I think that there might be a basic problem that messes all up: I have a couple of Yamaha MSP5 monitors, connected to the Axe via XLR cables.
When I'm making some of my high-gain sounds, I can really hear some bad "mid / high-mid" thing: something becomes harsh, sharp and not warm and "round" as I'd like it to be. Almost like an ice pick effect.
I tried to upload some of the most used patches from the net: Shredi's Mesa patches sound FIZZY AND BRIGHT AS HELL and full of high frequencies, almost inaudible. All of Mark (samhill) patches that sounds great on his videos sound like they are coming from inside a box, full of bass frequencies.

Speaking about clean tones, almost all of them sound Uber-Compressed to me, even with nothing but Amp---Cab in the chain.

I think something it's wrong with this situation...
get a powered sub

I don't think getting a powered sub is the cure for every tone aliment?

Are we still here?

There's a learning curve that has NOT been met yet. IMO there is something wrong here that has not been identified, and we can help only so far. Break it down to it's most basic setup, and start there.

Back
Top Bottom