Something Cool I've Been Working On

Hey bammbamm,

I talked to Matt about that but I am out on tour this year, but hopefully next year!!! that's one other thing that will suck, you guys will get these UltraRez cabs and I will have to wait until I get back (probably Dec) before I can try them out, thats if Cliff has them ready at that time.

Take care, Chris.

Cool. You are a beast... Love your playing. Keep up the great work! Take care on tour and good luck!

Don't you just love people sometimes!:roll. Cliff starts a thread called "Something Cool I've been working on" all excited to share the news and immediately gets sh%t on. sheez!! Don't let it take the wind out of your sails Cliff. A lot of us are diggin it!!

See ya this weekend!!

Sorry, late to the party, but wanted to pass along some info that may be helpful to folks. This is something that I have experimented with in years past and why I have always been verbal that I am not a fan of any truncation below 80 ms for close mic'd files, and a minimum of 200-300 ms for ambient files. Hopefully the below will calm things down a bit and give some perspective from my vantage point. Additionally, I have yet to even remotely dabble in programming/coding, so my view point and knowledge is purely based upon observation of experimentation and use with existing technologies that I make these IR's for, but do not have any hand in at a programming level. I cannot speak intelligently on why this is the way it is, just that it is the way it is.

This phenomenon is not hokum, and can be demonstrated using standard convolution loaders from many years past. Shown below is my D120F IR represented earlier in this thread, loaded with Voxengo's Perfect Space that Aleksey wrote for Cakewalk (and I assume is a stripped down derivative of Pristine Space). As shown, I printed one response at 100 ms, then cut it to 20 ms:

IR-Truncation-Response-412.png

That plugin allows you to truncate the tail at will to varying degrees, and as you pull the value down you can watch the plot transform in varying manners. To keep things clean and simple, I just replicated the values that Cliff posted earlier.

This phenomenon is known to others, including myself, and has been for a few years now. I, AnalogInTheBox, and DMG Audio have even been using longer tail's in such things as hardware sampling and replicating (EQ's, mic preamps, etc) VST plugins, let alone guitar cabinet IR's, to increase accuracy in the extreme ends of the spectrum (high and low). In the EQ realm, it is known that the lower the sample length of the IR, the less high frequency information will be present as well. In Nebula, those of us "in the know" typically truncate the fundamental kernel to 100 ms instead of the stock 50 ms as, again in my experience, below 80 ms things start getting less accurate. The owner of DMG has very adamantly pointed this out in pro audio forums upon the release of his EQuilibrium plugin, and has a "quality" setting that in effect raises or lowers the amount of samples in the impulse response which also raises or lowers how much resource overhead the plugin consumes.

This phenomenon is already available to be had if you are a recordist and use DAW based plugins. This is why none of my cab IR's are ever, nor have they ever been below 100 ms.

This phenomenon is not present on all files, and from recent observation seems to be vastly dependent on the internal resonance of the cabinet. Upon quick inspection, I do not see this happening, at least not in this amount, on the open back 2x12 IR's I am creating right now. Maybe this is why Jay got fired up on TGP - the files he is using for demonstration do not exhibit this, and I can vouch for that side as well because not all files are as extreme as in the examples shown. This example shows the difference between the new 500 ms ("UltraRes") and the 20 ms castration with a Jensen P12R in a the aforementioned open back combo:

IR-Truncation-Response-212.png

I've only sampled about a half dozen speakers for this cab so far, but all seem to have a much smaller decrease in low frequencies as the sample length goes down.

Higher tail lengths increase the information in the higher frequencies as well, in my experience. When I spoke with Cliff on this matter, I tried 100 ms vs 500 ms and in the DAW noted that I heard an increase in the hypersonic range. That was without looking at anything and just listening. Upon glancing at a graph in the last few days, this was verified with an increase in volume of frequencies above 12 kHz. This will mean a small increase in the "air" band in some cases, at least has been my experience in the DAW realm.

MOST importantly, in MY opinion, this feature will finally add the room details and information for those that wish to load IR's in these magic black boxes. This is make or break from a capture standpoint - IR makers with bad rooms won't be able to hide from them and will suffer even worse sounding IR's, however those of us who have meticulously tuned our rooms and sources within our rooms will have users be able to benefit from that without having to have a computer in tow. To this end, those who may not want this I assume can always just bump things down to HighRes to take the room back out again.

All of this argument and elitism over this, in my opinion, is completely ridiculous and based on observations from incomplete information. To this end, it would not be anyone's fault to fall heavily on one side of the coin or the other as the data they have in front of them would prove their side of the debate. I have the luxury of being able to sit on both sides peacefully as I feel I have data that shows how each side can have a valid point, and despite my busy schedule and need to rest up for this upcoming weekend, wanted to post all this in hopes to bring the conversation to more positive directions.

I'm very happy to see the resolution of the cab block go up to where I can happily recommend usage, and this puts the FAS platform even further ahead of the pack so far as I am concerned. Even my fellow tube amp user friends of mine won't hesitate to let you know that I have warned them many times not to use my IR's in their rackmount load box, and to just send the line out to their interface and use full length IR's, citing these exact principals as my reason why. :)

Hope this helps, if not, take your weapon, strike this post down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete! :lol

Peace! :)

Sorry, late to the party, but wanted to pass along some info that may be helpful to folks. This is something that I have experimented with in years past and why I have always been verbal that I am not a fan of any truncation below 80 ms for close mic'd files, and a minimum of 200-300 ms for ambient files. Hopefully the below will calm things down a bit and give some perspective from my vantage point. Additionally, I have yet to even remotely dabble in programming/coding, so my view point and knowledge is purely based upon observation of experimentation and use with existing technologies that I make these IR's for, but do not have any hand in at a programming level. I cannot speak intelligently on why this is the way it is, just that it is the way it is.

This phenomenon is not hokum, and can be demonstrated using standard convolution loaders from many years past. Shown below is my D120F IR represented earlier in this thread, loaded with Voxengo's Perfect Space that Aleksey wrote for Cakewalk (and I assume is a stripped down derivative of Pristine Space). As shown, I printed one response at 100 ms, then cut it to 20 ms:

IR-Truncation-Response-412.png

That plugin allows you to truncate the tail at will to varying degrees, and as you pull the value down you can watch the plot transform in varying manners. To keep things clean and simple, I just replicated the values that Cliff posted earlier.

This phenomenon is known to others, including myself, and has been for a few years now. I, AnalogInTheBox, and DMG Audio have even been using longer tail's in such things as hardware sampling and replicating (EQ's, mic preamps, etc) VST plugins, let alone guitar cabinet IR's, to increase accuracy in the extreme ends of the spectrum (high and low). In the EQ realm, it is known that the lower the sample length of the IR, the less high frequency information will be present as well. In Nebula, those of us "in the know" typically truncate the fundamental kernel to 100 ms instead of the stock 50 ms as, again in my experience, below 80 ms things start getting less accurate. The owner of DMG has very adamantly pointed this out in pro audio forums upon the release of his EQuilibrium plugin, and has a "quality" setting that in effect raises or lowers the amount of samples in the impulse response which also raises or lowers how much resource overhead the plugin consumes.

This phenomenon is already available to be had if you are a recordist and use DAW based plugins. This is why none of my cab IR's are ever, nor have they ever been below 100 ms.

This phenomenon is not present on all files, and from recent observation seems to be vastly dependent on the internal resonance of the cabinet. Upon quick inspection, I do not see this happening, at least not in this amount, on the open back 2x12 IR's I am creating right now. Maybe this is why Jay got fired up on TGP - the files he is using for demonstration do not exhibit this, and I can vouch for that side as well because not all files are as extreme as in the examples shown. This example shows the difference between the new 500 ms ("UltraRes") and the 20 ms castration with a Jensen P12R in a the aforementioned open back combo:

IR-Truncation-Response-212.png

I've only sampled about a half dozen speakers for this cab so far, but all seem to have a much smaller decrease in low frequencies as the sample length goes down.

Higher tail lengths increase the information in the higher frequencies as well, in my experience. When I spoke with Cliff on this matter, I tried 100 ms vs 500 ms and in the DAW noted that I heard an increase in the hypersonic range. That was without looking at anything and just listening. Upon glancing at a graph in the last few days, this was verified with an increase in volume of frequencies above 12 kHz. This will mean a small increase in the "air" band in some cases, at least has been my experience in the DAW realm.

MOST importantly, in MY opinion, this feature will finally add the room details and information for those that wish to load IR's in these magic black boxes. This is make or break from a capture standpoint - IR makers with bad rooms won't be able to hide from them and will suffer even worse sounding IR's, however those of us who have meticulously tuned our rooms and sources within our rooms will have users be able to benefit from that without having to have a computer in tow. To this end, those who may not want this I assume can always just bump things down to HighRes to take the room back out again.

All of this argument and elitism over this, in my opinion, is completely ridiculous and based on observations from incomplete information. To this end, it would not be anyone's fault to fall heavily on one side of the coin or the other as the data they have in front of them would prove their side of the debate. I have the luxury of being able to sit on both sides peacefully as I feel I have data that shows how each side can have a valid point, and despite my busy schedule and need to rest up for this upcoming weekend, wanted to post all this in hopes to bring the conversation to more positive directions.

I'm very happy to see the resolution of the cab block go up to where I can happily recommend usage, and this puts the FAS platform even further ahead of the pack so far as I am concerned. Even my fellow tube amp user friends of mine won't hesitate to let you know that I have warned them many times not to use my IR's in their rackmount load box, and to just send the line out to their interface and use full length IR's, citing these exact principals as my reason why. :)

Hope this helps, if not, take your weapon, strike this post down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete! :lol

I guess my only question is, how does it sound?

I am looking forward to any progress that makes it easier to dial in MY sound(Of course) And I am exited, that Clif Works SO hard on it. I have now read TGP thread. All(maybe i didn´t understand what I was reading) JM is saying is that he disagrees on the findings that Cliff is presenting. Everyone(Even the most educated) also thought that the Earth was flat until somone SHOWED them that it is not. I mean: When we all(JM included) see-or hear what Cliff is working on we will all be wiser. But then again what to do if it shows that the Earth REALLY is flat?? - AAEN

Yes but the IR does not contain that information. The default values in the amp block are based on the measured impedance of the most commonly used speaker for the selected amp. If it is a combo amp then the values are derived from the speaker that was in the cabinet. Most people who capture IRs are unable to also capture impedance data.

I have actually been working on simulating series connected speakers with different resonant frequencies. Listening tests have not exhibited a significant difference but I haven't done enough tests to form any conclusions. Furthermore I have only measured one cabinet to date that has exhibited "erratic" impedance due to series-connected drivers. All the others measure as though it were a single driver with well-defined resonance.

Cliff,

Could the impedance data that FAS has collected be added to the firmware such that we could choose the impedance data from different speakers in the AMP block speaker tab?

I always wondered if I could more exactly match the impedance data to the different IR's, would it be audible and more accurate or not?

Not knowing what I'm doing I don't change the AMP block speaker tab.

Richard

What Kevin says is that he is clearly hearing a better sound when the ir is longer.

Below 80 ms he starts hearing less accurate sounds. IR`s today is 20 ms.

Like my wife says: The longer, the better.

That's what she told me!

I guess my only question is, how does it sound?

I think it sounds better with longer tails, and I will put out there my view point and interest is primarily how it performs in the recording arena. I think that argument for cold accurate representation of only the cabinet and speaker is virtuous, but it's not the camp I reside in for most things, and definitely not what I am working on right now. If that were the 'norm', when you walked into a commercial studio they'd be mic'ing up your cab with a B&K/DPA/Schoeps and running it to a Forssell/Gordon/Millennia, and sure that can happen, but more often than not you'll get an SM57 through a 1073 as your starting point. Character and color over accuracy, because that's what tends to fit better in a mix, or at least the ones that happen today. I also feel that people can see value in reflection free captures so that the purpose of the IR is only of the cabinet and speaker and exclude everything else in the name of "modeling". For the files I am putting out currently, this is not what I am interested in. I'm interested in adding character, color, and all the fun stuff that makes things sound "good" to my ear, less that I'm trying to clone the way something sounds in the room. As I've hinted at in another thread a little bit ago, I'll be looking into that area at a later date for what I feel like is a much smaller niche than those that would want studio style IR's.

To put not too fine a point on things in a related tangent, it's a pet peeve of mine when people refer to the IR's I put out as "cabs". If anything, they should in this way be called "studios", because there are many other elements of transducting the sound that do not belong to the cab alone, at least not in studio style IR captures. I personally acknowledge this "cab" label for the files I have put out so far as slang, and will participate to be "cool" or make things easier, though I do not agree with using this term in this way at my core. Not being a jerk, just trying to illustrate the point. :)

I will say one thing against the length, and it doesn't have to do with it directly, but this whole topic made me sit there and try to remember why I chose the truncation levels that I have, which took me back a bit. The answer is minimum phase transformation. I'll be honest again, I am completely against it 90% of the time. The 10% I do enjoy of it is when I take samples using really strange mic mic techniques (for example, most of the stuff in the "Auxiliary" folder from previous releases) and manual phase alignment proves to be tiresome, troublesome, or damn near impossible to feel good about settling on a final setting. However when the mics are directly facing the front of the speaker and manual alignment can be done cleanly and clearly, I'd much prefer the files not be minimum phase aligned. Without this re-creation of the IR under forced secondary mathematical circumstances, I feel many degrees of accuracy are upheld. The MPT algo I'm using right now is the best I've heard in retaining the overall tone and in most cases I can hear little to no difference in the sound, but I still would rather not use it. Back on topic, the reason why I have chosen the truncation levels that I have in the past is that the minimum phase alignment process can - under certain circumstances, combined with normalization, and is not guaranteed to treat all files equally, mess with the apparent loudness of the files. It seems to be related to the amount of low frequency content in a given file, but I've barely put in the time past a few sure examples to really put my finger on a culprit. In the loudness wars that have waged for the last few decades where the untrained ear (and lets be honest, that's the vast majority of people) decides that louder is better, I've chosen the truncation levels to balance upholding the best sound with the least amount of trade off in volume. If I had it my way - and in my own personal use of the files behind closed doors I WILL - I would set a secondary standard that can be obtained manually for the amount of samples of time of flight as well as volume. When I have the time to start working on recording and mixing music again, I'll be making my own stockpile of favorites in this way as I am opposed to minimum phase transformation being the standard. It is a standard because for those who have a tool that performs this action, it is effortless and requires no knowledge of how these files work. That's better for the majority, and so it has become the forced standard to which I comply in commercial releases.

All in all, I am all for - always have been, likely always will be - the longer tail lengths for studio style IR's where studio style IR's are appropriate which is the vast majority of practical application for these files. :)

So if I understand correctly, the longer tail lengths are better for recording where you would want to emulate a studio setup.
And for live use these longer tail lengths would serve no purpose since you only need a faithful reproduction of the cab and possibly the cab/mike combination without any reflections.

So if I understand correctly, the longer tail lengths are better for recording where you would want to emulate a studio setup.

Yes.

And for live use these longer tail lengths would serve no purpose since you only need a faithful reproduction of the cab and possibly the cab/mike combination without any reflections.

No.

Longer tail lengths also improve frequency response resolution and accuracy. Unless the files are a reflection fest, this element is completely not applicable in PRACTICAL (note, not necessarily theoretical) application. If you have an ambient file that has a lot of reflections, sure, but chances are you wouldn't choose one of those files from the start if this was your end goal.

I have absolutely no knowledge of anything. I am, for all intense purposes, an idiot.

Now, with that clarification, I personally don't understand why with the studio it would be OK to leave in the effects of the room, the mic, the preamp, etc., but for live purposes you would want to eliminate all of that and get just the cab/speaker. Wouldn't just by the nature of the beast, in an old-school environment, the size of the stage, the room you are performing in, your surrounding environment, would have an impact on the sound going to the PA in a real live situation? I don't recall seeing stage setups where everyone has boxes around their equipment, and everything is isolated.

Isn't this why some venues make for a more enjoyable listening experience? Yes, the entire venue as a whole could be acoustically pleasing, but so is the stage. Throwing a mic in front of a cab on a nice sounding stage translates to what comes through the PA. Going for the sound of just the speaker itself seams counter-intuative, and would yield a less natural result.

I really like using Kevin's IR's for live use. And I'm very excited with Cliff's new discovery. Looking forward to all of these good things to come.

Just got back from vacation, and THIS was the first thread I read on the forum. Super stoked. I have been quite vocal about the quality of sound eventually coming down to the quality of the IR being used, and have even said in the past that the biggest limiting factor with the Axe-fx is starting to become the IR - got ridiculed by a couple of people - glad to see that some examination has fleshed out to create even more accurate IRs. Now a couple of questions/comments:

1. Kevin - are your Axe-fx II files truncated to 20 ms? Or are they at 80 ms? Or something else? Sorry if this has been answered.

2. People keep asking if this is going to make IRs sound "better". Perhaps we should all start substituting "better" for "more accurate", because as far as I can tell, some people are really happy with the sounds they are currently getting and will freak out if that changes. The following joke applies to any group of users with any technological product:

Q: How many Axe-fx II users does it take to change a light bulb?

A: CHANGE?!?!?!

3. I'm guessing that now, professionally recorded ambient IRs will actually become - *gasp* - useful. Has the detail increased for FF mics and room mics increased significantly, Cliff?

As said before, super stoked.

... Higher tail lengths increase the information in the higher frequencies as well, in my experience. When I spoke with Cliff on this matter, I tried 100 ms vs 500 ms and in the DAW noted that I heard an increase in the hypersonic range. That was without looking at anything and just listening. Upon glancing at a graph in the last few days, this was verified with an increase in volume of frequencies above 12 kHz. This will mean a small increase in the "air" band in some cases, at least has been my experience in the DAW realm.

:triumphant: UltraRes(TM)!!! :triumphant: UltraRes(TM)!!! :triumphant: UltraRes(TM)!!! :triumphant: UltraRes(TM)!!! :triumphant:

This appears to be a significant advancement for the FAS platform and community. :encouragement:

:roll Naysayers can grouse all they want - without even hearing the UltraRes(TM) line of IRs beforehand I might add - but the ultimate proof will be in the pudding!!! :D

:shock :? Err, ... I mean the ultimate proof will be in the :triumphant: UltraRes(TM) IR's!!!

Go Team FAS and thank you once again Cliff & Co. for making our world a better place!!! :D

Longer tail lengths also improve frequency response resolution and accuracy. Unless the files are a reflection fest, this element is completely not applicable in PRACTICAL (note, not necessarily theoretical) application. If you have an ambient file that has a lot of reflections, sure, but chances are you wouldn't choose one of those files from the start if this was your end goal.
So for live use you need the long tails but without any reflections (if at all possible)

As I said earlier, I like the sound of truncated IRs so that there is absolutely no room in the mix. I like hearing the actual room I'm playing in instead. Will it be possible to benefit from the increased accuracy in bass response with UltraRes while cutting out the room?

So for live use you need the long tails but without any reflections (if at all possible)
As I said earlier, I like the sound of truncated IRs so that there is absolutely no room in the mix. I like hearing the actual room I'm playing in instead. Will it be possible to benefit from the increase in bass response with UltraRes, but still cut out the room?

Sigh...

Unless the files are a reflection fest, this element is completely not applicable in PRACTICAL (note, not necessarily theoretical) application.

Snippet from a post I just made on TGP:

Practical application also needs to be considered, as that is vastly more important in my humble opinion. The drunkards at the local watering hole aren't going to be able to discern, or care, the bulk of what is on the plate here, nor at the sheer volume levels and external factors such as the acoustics of the room that occur at a 'gig'. Last I checked, most concerts weren't performed at comfortable listening levels in locations highly tuned to an audience of 1 at the perfect listening position. To that end the only person it affects is the guitarist, and only to the extent that they let it consume them, likely unnecessarily.

I'm out, I am way behind in prep for the LA Amp Show and at this point I'm just repeating myself. Speculation is a waste of everyone's time at this point, just be happy advancements are on their way and decide whether or not they work to your advantage when you have the time to use them yourself, would be my outside advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom