Somebody please convince me to NOT buy an Axe FX with my tax return.

I have been a professional musician for 30+ years. The AxeFX is the best gear purchase of my career. If you're asking people here on the forum, they're going to tell to buy one :) I"ll tell you that since buying the AxeFX, I practice more, record more, and with better results. I used to spend a lot of time crafting tones with my boutique tube amps and a big board full of expensive pedals. I've been a gear hound for a long time, and had acquired a mountain of pricey equipment. The AxeFX (1) has a bigger, better collection of amazing amps / effects (2) is MUCH easier to manage when putting together complex signal chains and (3) has freed me to spend more of my time recording and practicing.

In the studio, I can dial in tones pretty quickly (thank you, Axe-Edit), and the AxeFX is fantastic for re-amping and re-tracking, and for recalling patches and mic settings. I went back into the studio recently to add additional parts to a client recording that was originally tracked almost a year ago. He had written a new bridge for a song that we did at an early session, and wanted me to re-record it. I pulled up the original patch and flew in just that bridge section in about an hour. It was a perfect match for the previous recording, so we only had to record the new bridge. Before the AxeFX, that might have taken a full day, most of which would have been trying to match the original sound. Since we still had a few hours left in the session, we wrote a new song and I tracked the guitar and bass parts via the AxeFX. Again, we saved time and money by not having to even drag out a bass amp, DI, and other outboard gear.

The tones in my AxeFX are so good, and so responsive, that it's improved my playing dynamics. I've had to refine my picking technique because the amp response is so revealing. I hadn't realized how much of my dynamics were being impacted by my pedalboard's signal chain. I'm a better guitarist since getting the AxeFX a few years ago.

A reason not to? All right. I'll have to conjure alternative facts, though.

Scene 1: Don't buy it! You'll spend all your time playing guitar, your neglected wife will run off with a commodities trader, your kids will do drugs and join a cult. Not worth it.

Scene 2: Buy it: The inspiration will elevate your playing to inspired, your garage band will attain cult status, (not the same cult the kids joined in Scene #1) status and riches. Despite the challenges of having to do the Reality TV show; the family ties will be stronger than ever.

Scene 3: Depends on how you program it. What's the story? There's 8 scenes per preset. Then on to the next preset. And the next. It could be your life's work, or at least a Country & Western set.

You could not buy it and get an AX8, though. That's really the only justifiable reason to not get the Axe FX.

Man does not live by bread alone. There is tone.

Last edited:
Came from a GSP1101 myself. Started running it direct, then moved to the power amp and cab (like what you're doing). Then I bought the Axe and started out running that through the power amp and cab initially. As I've used the unit, I've transitioned away from the power amp and cab and now I run 100% direct again. I couldn't be happier with the tone and the feel. It's awesome. My stage volume is much lower (just a powered 12" monitor if there aren't good house monitors) and the tone just slays consistently every night.

Since you're already used to carrying around a rack and a foot controller, the transition to the AxeFX won't be much of a burden as far as gear weight / size goes.

From a gigging and recording standpoint, there isn't anything better than the AxeFx. Especially if you're doing the cover band thing where you need an assortment of tones.

The other guitar player in my band always used to insist that I mic up his fender combo for recording, but since Quantum 6 came out, he's come to the light and is perfectly content running through the AxeFx. It sounds and feels like the real deal.

The only reasons not to buy the AxeFX (based on complaints I've seen in this forum) are:
  1. You're intimidated by change (from your GSP)
  2. You want something strictly "plug and play" that requires no learning curve or additional user effort
  3. You don't have an ear for tone (it's possible to dial in an awful tone if you use only your eyes)
  4. The value of a single Klon-based drive emulation is greater to you than the sum of the values of the rest of the amp, cab, drive, and effects models in the AxeFX (it's a long story...)

I'll be honest; I would have skinned that cat and made some $4,000 exotic cat slippers to sell to some rich Chinese consumer.

OK. If I were going to spend that kind of money on gear I would just buy 1 really nice boutique amp and a boat load of really amazing pedals/rack gear and be done with it. Why on earth would anyone want access to so many quality amps and pedals and routing options in 1 box when you could.....oh wait. that doesn't really help does it? Sorry, I'm a fan for life. Been AXE-FX II for couple years now and never looking back! :) FAS all the way! Just think of it as subsidizing art with money the IRS really owes you anyway.

I have a legendary vintage Digitech 2120 Artist that actually has real tubes! It blows away the Axe-Fx and is super easy to program. It's cabinet emulation sounds way better than any IR I've used with the Axe-Fx, and there's only one option...so much easier than spending hours trying to find that right tone...just set it and forget it. Seamless switching and spillover rocks and the pedal board has a built-in expression pedal and stomp box mode...you're paying extra for that with fractal. PM me if interested in buying it.

A reason not to? All right. I'll have to conjure alternative facts, though.

Scene 1: Don't buy it! You'll spend all your time playing guitar, your neglected wife will run off with a commodities trader, your kids will do drugs and join a cult. Not worth it.

Scene 2: Buy it: The inspiration will elevate your playing to inspired, your garage band will attain cult status, (not the same cult the kids joined in Scene #1) status and riches. Despite the challenges of having to do the Reality TV show; the family ties will be stronger than ever.

Scene 3: Depends on how you program it. What's the story? There's 8 scenes per preset. Then on to the next preset. And the next. It could be your life's work, or at least a Country & Western set.

You could not buy it and get an AX8, though. That's really the only justifiable reason to not get the Axe FX.

Man does not live by bread alone. There is tone.

1 - My wife encourages me to practice! I don't have any kids, and I never will. Reproduction is not for me.

2 - If I ever watch reality TV, let alone participate in it, I have failed as a human being. I wouldn't deserve a Squire strat, let alone an Axe FX.

3 - I think that as it stands right now, I can make one preset for my band's set, with 5-6 scenes total. I can add scenes and presets for new songs as we add them. I want unfuckwithable tone, and the flexibility to get whatever tone I want down the road.

Came from a GSP1101 myself. Started running it direct, then moved to the power amp and cab (like what you're doing). Then I bought the Axe and started out running that through the power amp and cab initially. As I've used the unit, I've transitioned away from the power amp and cab and now I run 100% direct again. I couldn't be happier with the tone and the feel. It's awesome. My stage volume is much lower (just a powered 12" monitor if there aren't good house monitors) and the tone just slays consistently every night.

Since you're already used to carrying around a rack and a foot controller, the transition to the AxeFX won't be much of a burden as far as gear weight / size goes.

From a gigging and recording standpoint, there isn't anything better than the AxeFx. Especially if you're doing the cover band thing where you need an assortment of tones.

The other guitar player in my band always used to insist that I mic up his fender combo for recording, but since Quantum 6 came out, he's come to the light and is perfectly content running through the AxeFx. It sounds and feels like the real deal.

The only reasons not to buy the AxeFX (based on complaints I've seen in this forum) are:
  1. You're intimidated by change (from your GSP)
  2. You want something strictly "plug and play" that requires no learning curve or additional user effort
  3. You don't have an ear for tone (it's possible to dial in an awful tone if you use only your eyes)
  4. The value of a single Klon-based drive emulation is greater to you than the sum of the values of the rest of the amp, cab, drive, and effects models in the AxeFX (it's a long story...)

1 - Absolutely not. I have no fear of electronics, computers, digital modelers, software, etc. Just reptiles. Cold-blooded things and I can stay far apart.

2 - Nope. I want the option to have wacky routing and robo flexibility. Give me the kitchen sink.

3 - I guess this "tone" thing is all subjective anyway... :p

4 - What is a "Klon-based drive emulation"? Sorry for the noob question.

Think of how many people you could teach to fish with all that money...

The last time I went fishing was when I was ten years old. I cut my foot on a stray nail in a pier. That's the last thing I want to teach people to do. And I have to teach pretty often at my day job. Since I can't detonate a nuclear bomb and end the world, I might as well be happy in my own little bubble of shred-tastic tone heaven.

After owning the Axe-Fx, you may find lots of other gear can go to eBay or reverb.com!

This was my experience. Even my treasured 1979 Marshall 50W Mk II that I had modified by Jim Demeter in 1986. I wish I had kept it but only for sentimental reasons. It would have just collected dust. It's better that someone else is enjoying and appreciating it.

This was my experience. Even my treasured 1979 Marshall 50W Mk II that I had modified by Jim Demeter in 1986. I wish I had kept it but only for sentimental reasons. It would have just collected dust. It's better that someone else is enjoying and appreciating it.
I have a bunch of stuff on eBay and craigslist right now to assist with funding this purchase ;)

Back
Top Bottom